Today we are starting the Early Access Program for AppCode 2019.3, and the first build is already available to download from our site.

Splash

New Build Messages

We dedicated a lot of time improving build messages in earlier releases, but our build output parser was still affected by some performance issues. In this release cycle, we’re getting the build output tree directly from Xcode toolchain and only render it in AppCode. For you, this means that:

1. Build speed should be the same as in Xcode for regular and incremental builds.
  2. All the necessary information should be visible, including compiler notes.
  3. AppCode now shows detailed build progress:Build progress
  4. The filtering of Build Messages is simplified: now you can see only errors and warnings by clicking the Show Problems Only button on the left of the toolwindow:Show Warnings Only

Intentions

We’ve added several new intentions for Swift:

• Split / join variable declaration and assignment:Split/join variable declaration and assignment
  • Split variable declarations with multiple elements:Split variable declarations with multiple elements
  • Split / join nested if/else statements:Split/join nested ifs

Code Generation

Code generation options for Swift now have two new options: Prefer Void over () and Prefer explicit return. Find them in Editor | Code Style | Swift | Code Generation | General.

That’s it for now!

Download AppCode 2019.3 EAP

Your AppCode Team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

banner
This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to AppCode Starts 2019.3 EAP: New Rendering for Build Messages, New Swift Intentions, and More

• Stanislav Dombrovsky says:

We are working on it, but no performance changes (except build messages performance that should be improved a lot) are included into this build.

1. Alex says:

Hi, thanks for the EAP.
    Some things I’ve noticed:
    1. I’m sometimes facing issues loading AppCode where it gets stuck loading the project. They are different on 2019.2 and 2019.3. On 2 if I force-close AC when it’s stuck, it actually goes to load the project and then force-closes it right after (I imagine it shuts some process that’s blocking it which lets it contunue). On 3 – this doesn’t happen and the only way I’ve found to get it working is to toggle reopenLastProject in IDE settings xml file.
    2. Build performance seems to have improved! I did some basic benchmarks comparing building/launching in Xcode/AppCode in the past and now building step seems to be the same. Launching, for some reason, is still slower (21s in Xcode vs 25 in AC). Tried in debug mode so perhaps the debugger is somehow slower to attach? By launching I mean having the app finish going thru the app’s launch screen. I understand that at this point one would think it’s the app code to blame, but I am getting consistent differences in times so I think it’s still something linked with the IDE.
    3. Have there been changes to the scrolling behavior? It feels less responsive when using trackpad – like when stopping the scrolling it continues to move for a little bit and such. Not a big difference but noticeably worse than before.

Cheers

• Stanislav Dombrovsky says:

If AppCode freezes, logs and thread-dumps (Help | Show Log in Finder) attached to a new ticket in our tracker will help a lot. If AppCode does not freeze, it’s better to get in touch via our support and investigate, why the project is closed right after loading.

Launching, for some reason, is still slower

That’s true. We haven’t optimized this process yet and were working only on the build performance. Please, track this ticket for further improvements related to the launch speed.

Have there been changes to the scrolling behavior?

There were some changes from IntelliJ Platform related to scrolling behavior – probably makes sense to play with the “Smooth scroll” option described in IDEA post.

2. Alex says:

Hi, thanks for the EAP.
    Some things I’ve noticed:
    1. I’m sometimes facing issues loading AppCode where it gets stuck loading the project. They are different on 2019.2 and 2019.3. On 2 if I force-close AC when it’s stuck, it actually goes to load the project and then force-closes it right after (I imagine it shuts some process that’s blocking it which lets it continue). On 3 – this doesn’t happen and the only way I’ve found to get it working is to toggle reopenLastProject in IDE settings xml file.

Cheers

3. Alex says:

And some other regressions:
    4. Shortcut for Show Local Changes stopped working (custom) – I think not in this EAP but maybe in the previous one or the penultimate.
    5. The “x is the default impl. for a method declared in y. Do you want to find usages of the protocol method?” takes AppCode out of full screen mode.
    6. Preferences seems to be missing completely from find all and from menu (and shortcut to open does nothing). Still accessible by typing something like “Code Style” which opens Preferences ok.

• Stanislav Dombrovsky says:

Probably that’s because EAP and Release builds have different settings location, so shortcut set in the release build won’t be reused in the EAP.

Cannot reproduce on our side. Could you please make a short screencast with this problem?

That’s a regression in all products caused by some changes in platform. We are working on it.

4. Alex says:

7. And there is a 502 Bad Gateway error when posting from the “Leave a Reply” form, but it posts still. Have all the boxes ticked, if that makes a difference.