Busy Plugin Developers Newsletter – Summer 2022
⭐️ Introducing Space apps in JetBrains Marketplace and the Space Apps Contest
Apps can be installed directly from your Space client, or by browsing JetBrains Marketplace. You can also create and publish apps of your own. Check out the app development documentation to learn how to get started with building apps for Space.
If you want to try developing a Space app, we’d like to invite you to take part in the Space Apps Contest for a chance to win valuable prizes. To participate in the contest, you just need to register, create an application for Space, and upload it to our Marketplace. The deadline for app submissions is November 7, 2022.
Plugin Ideas for Space
The Plugin Ideas page on JetBrains Marketplace is a place for sharing ideas for plugins or new features. At a glance, you can see what the community would appreciate the most and use that knowledge to decide what to work on. It now features ideas for Space applications.
⭐️ Automated follow-up emails for plugin trial users
A new automated email campaign allows paid plugin vendors to follow up with users during their trial periods, direct them to valuable resources for getting started, move them down the sales funnel, and get feedback following purchases.
The campaign includes three messages:
- Welcome email with plugin resources
- Trial expiration reminder
- Review request email (sent after plugin purchase)
Plugin development tooling updates:
We have updated two of our most crucial tools for creating plugins for IntelliJ-based IDEs.
⭐️ Gradle IntelliJ Plugin 1.9.0
Version 1.9.0 of the Gradle IntelliJ Plugin – an extension to the Gradle build system and the preferred solution for creating plugins for IntelliJ-based IDEs – is now available. This is a critical update enabling compatibility with the 2022.2 versions of our IDEs. Check out what’s new and update the dependency to 1.9.0.
⭐️ IntelliJ Platform Plugin Template 1.2.0
The IntelliJ Platform Plugin Template is a template-type repository that simplifies the process of creating new plugins for IntelliJ-based IDEs. The 1.2.0 release aligns with our curated solutions and the latest dependency versions. Visit the project page, where you’ll find all the information you need to get started with your new project.
New articles in the IntelliJ Platform SDK documentation:
- The Plugin Configuration File article has been completely reworked. It now details all publicly available elements in the plugin.xml configuration file.
- The new Android Studio Releases List contains a complete list of the Android Studio releases alongside their complementary IntelliJ IDEA release versions.
- The Status Bar Widgets article, contributed by Petr Mahknev, explains how plugins can extend status bars in IntelliJ-based IDEs with custom widgets.
- The Gradle IntelliJ Plugin docs and the Gradle Grammar Kit plugin docs have been migrated from GitHub to the IntelliJ SDK documentation.
- The new Postfix Completion article explains how to generate code or wrap existing code into additional constructs without navigating the caret back to the beginning of the line.
- The new Bundling API sources in plugin distribution article describes how to use the Gradle IntelliJ Plugin to bundle a plugin’s API sources into a ZIP file.
You can learn about additional updates to the documentation here.
How to Build Applications for JetBrains Space
In this webinar, Denis Zakharov and Maarten Balliauw explain how to add your own Space apps to JetBrains Marketplace. They also took a look at the different extensibility options that are available and explained how you can use the HTTP API and Space SDK to integrate with JetBrains Space.
Special Slack channel for Space app developers
If you are interested in building applications for Space and you have any questions, we encourage you to join the #space-platform Slack channel. All you have to do is get an invite to the JetBrains Platform Slack community.
Plugin Notifications settings
Check out this article about how plugin vendors can manage notifications about new plugin reviews, plugin verification results, and sales.
Documentation about sales-related emails
For plugins sold via JetBrains Marketplace, we take care of sales-related communications like order request confirmations, renewal reminders, invoicing, and refunds. In this article, you can find some examples of our emails and in-product notifications.
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned, and be sure to follow us on Twitter.
Your JetBrains Marketplace team