REPL and Django console

Oleg Shpynov

Hi guys,

Today we want to give you a small review of a new feature in PyCharm – REPL and Django consoles.
Using such consoles is pretty essential for each developer, thus having them tightly integrated in an IDE is pretty useful.
You don’t need switching back and forth to shell anymore!

The console is accessible using the Tools menu item:

In this short guide we’ll run the Django console. Please note that the action to run the Django console is only available in Django projects.

On the picture you can see the default console prompt, pretty familiar, isn’t it?
To easily tell input from output, the output messages have light grey background color. (As all other colors, you can configure this in File | Settings | Colors And Fonts).

These built-in consoles have their own history, you can easily navigate through commands by pressing Ctrl+Up/Down.

One can ask, what advantages does built-in console have comparing to the shells ones?

• On-the-fly syntax check with inspections
  • Brace and quotes matching
  • Automatic insertion of paired braces and quotes on typing
  • Code completion and resolve

Here we have a couple of screenshots to prove this:

and

That’s all folks! You’ll be able to try this new features in coming PyCharm EAP! Stay tuned!

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains PyCharm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

16 Responses to REPL and Django console

1. Ben says:

March 18, 2010

I love pycham, I’ve been using it for all mof my latest projects (it integrates really well with buildout).

It’s a great idea to provide a console, but it would be awesome if you could provide ipython somehow.

Ben

2. JetBrains PyCharm Blog » Blog Archive » REPL Console completion says:

March 25, 2010

[…] to drop a couple of lines about new features of REPL and Django consoles built in PyCharm. The previous postsaid that completion and resolve were supported, however we thought that it would be pretty cool to […]

3. jacob says:

March 26, 2010

The REPL is a nice feature. Command is a must-have though, and it seems to be missing. To make it a real killer app for me, give it cmd history across sessions. All around PyCharm is awesome, thanks!

4. jacob says:

March 26, 2010

Oh, I just came across paste from history. Very nice.

5. jacob says:

March 26, 2010

But, yeah, still need cmd history…

6. Oleg Shpynov says:

March 26, 2010

@jacob, actually console has history Ctrl+Up/Down.
    Feel free to submit feature request to PyCharm issue tracker at: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/PY

7. Oleg Shpynov says:

April 21, 2010

We’ve been working hard and made integrated console extract completion and quick documentation from runtime. Check this out in coming PyCharm and Python plugin for IntelliJ IDEA.

8. santi says:

August 8, 2010

Where exactly can one change the colors of the python REPL? With my custom theme I cannot read the printed messages and I cannot find which color corresponds to this in tehe settings menu.

• yole says:

August 16, 2010

santi,
      You should be able to configure the console colours using the different “Console” items in Editor / Colors & Fonts / General

9. Kresimir says:

October 1, 2010

As Ben already said, providing a way to easily connect IPython to PyCharm would be great

A good IDE with IPython support would be invaluable to me since I use python mostly for data preparation and analysis and have found IPython features to be great for interactive sessions and similar stuff.

I currently use Eclipse + PyDev which is sufficient for my needs but would imediatly switch to (almost) anything giving me IPython directly from IDE.

10. jelle says:

October 23, 2010

+1 for ipython integration!
    What’s great about pydev is that code in the editor can be easily send to the shell. That would be a most welcome addition to pycharm.

11. Vj says:

March 6, 2011

Can I run manage.py commands in the Django console?

I know Ctrl + Alt + R can be used to run manage.py tasks – but can I use the console to run them ? After all the purpose of console is to be able to control from the command-line.

I am using 1.2 EAP / RC.

12. sash says:

May 12, 2011

Hi,
    in your console I get syntax error when I use multiple inputs as in the following code:

property = dict(square_feet=input(“Enter the square feet: “), beds=input(“Enter number of bedrooms: “), baths=input(“Enter number of baths: “))

This does not happen in the native Python Shell

13. Alvin Mites says:

September 15, 2011

IPython support has been filed as an issue for development

Could probably be completed using a plugin, though I haven’t looked into it.

14. Justin says:

November 22, 2011

Does the django console allow debugging? I can’t seem to find that feature.