PyCharm 2021.2 EAP 4 is out!
With PyCharm 2021.2 EAP 4, we’ve concentrated on small details and final bug fixes before the major PyCharm 2021.2 release. One of the improvements in this version is the ability to work with the SciView tool window when you are behind a proxy. The team also worked on improving support for literal collections.
Important! PyCharm EAP builds are not fully tested and might be unstable.
Python 3.10: Pattern Matching
We are continuing to develop support for PEP 634 (Pattern Matching). In this EAP release, we’ve added smart code completion for the “match” and “case” keywords, to help you deal with pattern matching statements in the right way. Additionally, PyCharm can now complete “match” statements and their corresponding “case” blocks. Once you’re done typing an initial “match” statement, you can choose Complete Current Statement (⇧⌘⏎ or Shift + Ctrl + Enter for Win/Lin) and PyCharm will complete the remaining part, including the colon and the first part of the “case” block. The caret will be left in place for you to start typing the rest of the “case” block.
PyCharm’s type checker now can identify literal collections in expected types while comparing the expected and actual types for statements. This makes it possible to use collections of literals as actual types for the comparison, which means you can provide specific values for arguments. This works even for nested collections.
Notable bug fixes:
- Data Science: the SciView tool window is now available when working from behind a proxy [PY-39763].
- Debugger: enabling Jupyter Exception Breakpoint no longer leads to an error when debugging Python files [PY-34427].
- Console: running a file in console no longer affects the Run/Debug configuration [PY-36063].
- Python & Debug consoles: you can now use the Interrupt action (Ctrl + C) [PY-49021].
- Community contribution: thanks to Xuan Wu, the test runner now recognizes testing method names in Unicode [PY-48747].
Ready to join the EAP?
Some ground rules
- EAP builds are free to use and expire 30 days after the build date.
- You can install an EAP build side by side with your stable PyCharm version.
- These builds are not fully tested and can be unstable.
- Your feedback is always welcome. Please use our issue tracker and make sure to mention your build version
How to download
Download this EAP from our website. Alternatively, you can use the JetBrains Toolbox App to stay up to date throughout the entire EAP. If you’re on Ubuntu 16.04 or later, you can use snap to get PyCharm EAP and stay up to date.
The PyCharm team