RubyMine 2020.1 Beta 2: VCS and Database Tools Improvements

Posted on by Natalie Kudanova

Our Early Access Program is coming to an end, and we’re happy to announce that RubyMine 2020.1 Beta 2 is now available! This build mostly polishes the new features for the upcoming v2020.1.

To catch up on what has already been implemented in v2020.1, check out our previous EAP blog posts. In this post, we’ll talk about a couple of improvements that we haven’t previously announced.

Version control systems

New “Interactively Rebase from Here” dialog

Git allows you to edit your project history by performing the interactive rebase action to make it linear, clean, reversible, and meaningful. For example, you might want to reword certain commits, change their order, or squash several into one.

For this purpose, RubyMine provides the Interactively Rebase from Here dialog. In v2020.1 we have reworked it to make it truly interactive. The dialog now allows you to edit, combine, reorder, and remove your previous commits.

To invoke this dialog, go to the Log tab of the Git tool window, select the oldest commit in the series of commits you want to edit, right-click it, and choose Interactively Rebase from Here:

Reworked Interactively Rebase from Here dialog

Also, the Version Control tool window is now called the Git tool window, or Subversion/Mercurial/Perforce if you are using any of them instead of Git.

Improved Branches popup

We’ve made several improvements to the Branches popup:

• We’ve added an explicit search field to look for existing remote and local branches. Previously, you could find specific branches simply by starting to type, but the absence of the explicit search field made this option unclear and it was rarely used.
    • The Refresh button can now be used to update existing remote branches.
    • Incoming (blue) and outgoing (green) commit indicators have been added to the status bar.

Braches popup improvements

Database tools

Query results in the editor

You can now see the results of your queries in the editor.

This feature can be turned on and off with a new button on the toolbar or in Settings/Preferences | Database | General | Show output results in the editor.

You can choose how to view the data: as a table, tree, or text. We’ve also added the option to export query results to Excel, in addition to the formats that were previously available.

DB query result in editor

Database scripts in run configurations

You can now create Run configurations for running database scripts.

To do so, open the Edit Configurations window, click the + button in the top-left corner and choose Database Script. There, you can set up the configuration, with options to run multiple scripts, reorder them, add new ones, and run other tasks or configurations before launch.

DB scripts in run configurations

The Beta version of RubyMine is free to use, but it will expire in 30 days. You can install the Beta version alongside a stable version of RubyMine.

Beta builds are sufficiently more stable than EAP builds, but some issues might still pop up. If you run into any, please report them to our issue tracker.

To learn about the newest features as they come out, please follow RubyMine on Twitter. We post product news and tips several times a week.

Happy Developing!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

7 Responses to RubyMine 2020.1 Beta 2: VCS and Database Tools Improvements

1. Jeff Deville says:

June 16, 2011

Minor Feature Request:
    Ruby files tend to be pretty short, so splitting a file across 2 tabs isn’t all that useful. However, just having muliple tabs visible is. So I find myself splitting a file, and then closing the first one, because what I really want, is just to be able to see two files side by side (code and specs).

Any chance you could create some keyboard shortcuts for: Move To Vertical Tab, or Move To Horizontal Tab?

Thanks!

2. Eugene Toporov says:

June 17, 2011

Jeff, you may be interested to take a look at this request and the comments: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-56716?query=split+tab+%23Unresolved
    It has a solution for you.

3. Brian Jenkins says:

June 18, 2011

Nice turnaround time fixing those CoffeeScript parser bugs!
    Thanks!

4. Tor says:

June 20, 2011

Dear RubyMine developers,

A bit OT, I know, but here we go:

I really like RM, but all the small bugs (of which I have already reported a bunch), and general sluggishness is starting to detract greatly from the user experience. I know I am commenting on a development version, but I am talking in general about the releases since 3.0 (the only releases I have tried), and seriously, you need to hunker down and iron out bugs and straighten out your testing practice!

It is great that you are responsive and open to feedback on your bug tracker, but I think that you rely too much on your community for finding bugs that should be found during your internal testing.

Also, you need to work closer with the bug reporters. It’s annoying to have ones bug report misunderstood and closed. Sometimes it seems like you are rushing to close the ticket.

I’m not sure what the general demographic will say, but personally I would like you to focus on bugs and performance, and I would be a little disappointed if I don’t see some improvement on this aspect before I have to pay for my upgrade protection.

Regards,
    Tor

5. Rafael says:

June 21, 2011

What I am missing as a major feature, is code completion in the views:
    – no completion on methods (even rails helper methods)
    – no completion on models (objects to be more accurate)
    => like post.t (strg + space) should show post.title e.g.

And in other cases, code completion is showing up where it isn’t wanted, and you cannot get rid off it, until you tap space for example) and delete it the whitespace again.

6. Dan says:

June 25, 2011

I agree with Tor in some ways but not totally.. JB is great in being so community-oriented with its development process, moreso than its supposedly open source competitors I guess, and I really appreciate that. There are a few bugs and inconsistencies in RubyMine — but in my experience alot fewer than in NetBeans or RadRails/Aptana, its competitors. What I like about RubyMine as an IDE is its reliability, predictability, and overall consitency. I also (somewhat secondarily) appreciate the speed of the releases, it feels like you really care about the product in that way. But I think it does lead to a few bugs and inconsistencies creeping in. Even though RubyMine is better here than its competitors in my view, it’s good keep up the pressure on this (in case you need advice 🙂 ). And to keep up the pressure on performance and against bloat.

That said, it can’t be fair to judge this based on an EAP. People who will get frustrated by bugs should wait for the final release. And JB, you guys should make sure the final release is bug free and performant 🙂 Maybe you should also reconsider the terminology/marketing of these “EAP’s” — is it really more of a beta? I am not sure I want RM prompting me to download a version that isn’t finished, either, which is happening now.

BTW I have noticed Rafael’s bug at times too, code completion that usually works sometimes does not work in the view.

7. Colin Jack says:

July 12, 2011

> I really like RM, but all the small bugs (of which I have already
    > reported a bunch), and general sluggishness is starting to detract
    > greatly from the user experience. I know I am commenting on a
    > development version, but I am talking in general about the
    > releases since 3.0 (the only releases I have tried), and seriously,
    > you need to hunker down and iron out bugs and straighten out
    > your testing practice!

I’ve been evaluating v 3.2+ and couldn’t agree more. Key features don’t work, for example I’ve never seen the debugger work (bug logged), the intellisense is patchy, refactoring has issues and again I’ve never managed to get working. Add in the general bugginess of everything else and it leaves me stunned this is by the same company that created the excellent Resharper.

I have been on the EAP recently (mainly as I found previous versions too buggy and RM kep suggesting I upgrade) so that might be part o the issue. However I do worry that there must be something wrong with your testing approach because right now RM isn’t up to the standards I would have expected.