Built-in SBT Support in IntelliJ IDEA 13

Posted on by Alexander Podkhalyuzin

Today we are happy to announce that the built-in support for SBT projects is finally here. The newest version of Scala plugin for IntelliJ IDEA 13 (0.23.308) comes with the following list of features:

• Import SBT project
  • Auto-import SBT projects
  • Highlighting for .sbt files

To import an SBT project please use one of these options:

1. File → Open, then choose .sbt file to import it as project
  2. File → Import Project, then choose .sbt file or directory containing SBT project

Don’t forget to use Enable auto-import checkbox to have your IntelliJ IDEA project automatically synchronized with .sbt files.

More cool features as well as the support for integration between Play 2.0 and SBT are coming soon. Please feel free to share your feedback, feature requests or just report found bugs to our issue tracker.

If you’d like to contribute or check out the sources use these two projects:

Enjoy!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

92 Responses to Built-in SBT Support in IntelliJ IDEA 13

1. Charles Monge says:

November 18, 2013

Hi, any plan to support Android project written in Scala and built on Sbt ?

Right now we are using sbt-idea which works… Some times 🙂

2. Evgeny Goldin says:

November 19, 2013

Thanks, team! Just in time for a Coursera course.

• Evgeny Goldin says:

November 19, 2013

Now, having a Scala worksheet on par with that of Eclipse would be awesome 🙂

3. Daniel Chan says:

November 19, 2013

What would be the benefits over something like https://github.com/mpeltonen/sbt-idea ?

4. Li Haoyi says:

November 19, 2013

Question: does this work with Build.scala files rather than build.sbt? I poked around and couldn’t figure out how to get it to import the thing; in particular, trying to select project/Build.scala in the [import] dialog failed

• Pavel Fatin says:

November 19, 2013

You may (always) select the project root directory in the import dialog.

• Pierre-Yves Saumont says:

January 10, 2014

From you answer, I guess we can deduce that it is is supposed to work.
        However, in our case, it doesn’t. It produces the following error message:

Premature end of file.
        Consult IDE log for more details (Help | Show Log)

and the logs say:

2014-01-10 17:33:26,244 [4042592] WARN – ctExternalProjectImportBuilder – java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
        at $Proxy3.resolveProjectInfo(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        Caused by: com.intellij.openapi.externalSystem.model.ExternalSystemException: Premature end of file.
        at org.jetbrains.sbt.project.SbtProjectResolver.resolveProjectInfo(SbtProjectResolver.scala:30)
        at org.jetbrains.sbt.project.SbtProjectResolver.resolveProjectInfo(SbtProjectResolver.scala:18)

So, since the project works fine with SBT and imports fine with the SBT Eclipse plugin, and since IDEA is able to import the generated Eclipse project, I guess we can say that no, it does not work.

January 15, 2014

Hi,

Please create an issue with attached log file: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/SCL

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

• Jacek Lewandowski says:

January 21, 2014

We found that this problem disappears when you run Idea on JRE 7 instead of JRE 6. However, because of the problem with antialiasing in JRE 7, probably the best solution would be to allow to run SBT with different JRE.

• Jacek Lewandowski says:

January 21, 2014

We have finally found the solution – it is not connected with the plugin itself, but with xsbt plugin, which seems to use some classes compatible with Java 7.

• Alex Kalashnikov says:

January 18, 2014

take a look at ~/.sbt/boot/update.log
          it seems to me that sbt.jar can’t be resolved

also, I saw your comment (http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/SCL-6502#comment=27-657759), you should create a new issue instead ((:

5. wangzaixiang says:

November 21, 2013

I Just download the Idea 13(133.79) and the lastest scala plugin(0.23.311), but has the following problem:

1. when editing a single build.sbt file like:

name := “demo”

it reports that “Cannot resolve symbol name”

2. I cant find anywhere to runing the SBT console or any sbt command.

So what is the problem?

November 21, 2013

You have to import SBT project first, then you will be able to edit build.sbt file.
      There is no SBT console in current implementation, just autosyncronization of project dependencies.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

• Evgeny says:

November 22, 2013

Hi!
        Thanks for your work!

Is SBT console planned? I would like to use it. Also, would be great if I can run any SBT task before any run configurations.

November 23, 2013

Console is planned, running SBT tasks is also planned.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin

• Pavel Fatin says:

November 21, 2013

We’ll probably add an automatic notification that offers to import or re-import project on viewing/editing such .sbt files (SCL-6282).

6. Bijou Trouvaille says:

December 3, 2013

I already have projects that I used sbt gen-idea for. Should I re-import them using the IDE to get the benefit of auto-import, or can I find this checkbox elsewhere?

December 3, 2013

sbt gen-idea is third-party plugin, and it’s not related to our SBT support. So if you want to move to our SBT support you need to reimport it from the IDE.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

7. Dmitriy Yefremov says:

December 3, 2013

Hi folks. I installed the new Intellij today. I tried to import an SBT project using the new integration plugin. Here is the error I got: http://pastebin.com/bfQnF5pd

Is there something I can do to get it working?

• Chris Dow says:

December 5, 2013

I have have this same issue. Does anybody know why this dependecy can’t be resolved? It looks like SBT is looking in the right place but it still doesn’t work:

[warn] ==== sbt-plugin-releases: tried
      [warn] http://repo.scala-sbt.org/scalasbt/sbt-plugin-releases/org.jetbrains/sbt-structure/scala_2.10/sbt_0.13/[revision]/ivys/ivy.xml

• Chris Dow says:

December 5, 2013

It looks like there is a defect for this: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/SCL-6340#

• Dmitriy Yefremov says:

December 8, 2013

Thanks! The bug is already resolved. I’ll give it another try.

8. Play Framework and IntelliJ IDEA 13 says:

December 3, 2013

[…] | Published: December 3, 2013 IntelliJ IDEA 13 has been released! My favorite new feature is the sbt project support that alleviates the need to generate project files for Play Framework apps. Here is a short […]

9. Greg says:

December 3, 2013

I just installed IDEA 13 today and tried to import several existing SBT projects. It appears to import successfully, but can’t resolve any symbols from the scala library. When I look at the scala facet it says “SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.3 [not found]” under Compiler Library.

Just to be sure I deleted all the IDEA files in the directory and reimported again from scratch. The same thing happened.

Any idea what’s going on?

• Dave says:

December 3, 2013

Yep, totally broken. Hope I can get my projects moved back to v12… ugh.

• Paul says:

December 4, 2013

Same. I just upgraded to v13. Having loads of issues now. Intellisense is completely messed up and getting the same compiler warning. Very broken.

December 4, 2013

Try File -> Invalidate Caches.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

• Greg says:

December 4, 2013

That seems to work for me. Thanks!

• Viktor says:

December 4, 2013

Trying to run make I just get:

scala: Сompiler library for module 4bodyandmind not found: Project / SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.2

or:
      scala: Сompiler library for module 4bodyandmind not found: Project / SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.1

Invalidate caches doesn’t help.

• Viktor says:

In root .iml:

This doesn’t seem like a corner case. Does IDEA 13 and SBT work for _anyone_?

• Viktor says:

December 4, 2013

Nice, my xml got removed by this “smart” blog tool.

option name=”compilerLibraryName” value=”SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.2″
          option name=”compilerLibraryName” value=”SBT: SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.2″

10. Jerry Kuch says:

December 4, 2013

Me as well… trying to load an IDEA 12 project, originally produced with the gen-idea task from SBT, into IDEA 13 gave me the symptoms above, namely failure to resolve any Scala library symbols.

Moving back to IDEA 12, the project then failed to load there…

I’ll come back to it tomorrow and see if I can import a vanilla SBT project from scratch into IntelliJ 13 using only IDEA’s importing functionality…

To summarize though, have any of you seen it work so far?

I probably shouldn’t have upgraded so hastily…

• Dave says:

December 4, 2013

I was able to get my v12 projects back – deleted all the .idea, *.iml, etc files and re-ran sbt gen-idea. But it’s a pretty simple project.

Try File -> Invalidate Caches

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

11. Andrew Gustafson says:

December 4, 2013

The SBT library issue is definitely a bug and users shouldn’t be forced to invalidate caches. The issue is at: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/SCL-6320. Current workaround is to simply name the libraby named “SBT: SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.x” to “SBT: scala-compiler:2.10.x” which can be done when viewing modules, rather than modifying any xml.

12. Dave says:

December 4, 2013

Seems that resetting the compiler library in the scala facet to the SBT:SBT: one does help the compile error, but it appears that flushing the caches resets this back to the broken state. Makes it kinda hard to apply all the required hacks to make v13 useable.

A list of required hacks in the required orders would be helpful.

Or, will v12 notify me via updates when a working version of 13 is available?

• Dave says:

December 4, 2013

Nope, sorry not flushing caches – just exiting and restarting resets the compiler library. Nice.

13. Mav says:

December 5, 2013

Compiler library not found for me too: run on a clean project with all the old project files removed before import. Tried cleaning cache and restarting after library name change from SBT:SBT: … to SBT:.., everything staid same.

c’mon, we’ve been waiting for proper sbt support in IDEA for so long, Scala community is gaining fast – it’s an incredible language which makes the work so much more productive. Jetbrains should recognize the opportunity to be the leading Scala IDE and put more effort into developing stable plugins for it.

14. Caoilte O'Connor says:

December 5, 2013

Hi Guys,
    I just imported a project I was using sbt-idea for (after deleting previous project files) and its working great so far. I even started a REPL and played around there for a bit. Running tests also feels more snappy than it used to.

My current IntelliJ12 workflow is to run SBT in the console, which mostly means all compilations end up happening twice (once for SBT one for the so-so IDE syntax highlighting). I have to do this for when I want to run specific SBT plugins (eg revolver, assembly).

Is there any way or are there any plans to allow me to start an SBT console from within the IDE in the same way I can start a Scala Console?

I’ll probably have to fall back to the command line otherwise, which will continue to suck as compiles are bad enough only having to do them once….

December 5, 2013

Yes, we have such plans to support console in our SBT support. However right now you can use third-party console implementation (see SBT plugin in plugins list).

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

• Caoilte O'Connor says:

December 5, 2013

Thanks Alexander,
        I’d forgotten that plugin and it seems to do everything I want, which is great.

15. Jan says:

December 5, 2013

Every time I try to load a project I get the message that “org.jetbrains#sbt-structure;latest.integration” can not be found. I tried to install the plugin in my local repository and as it seems the plugin uses the scala version in its name but sbt looks for the plain name.

• Eric Torreborre says:

December 5, 2013

I have the same issue as Jan above.

• Jason Swartz says:

December 6, 2013

Yup getting this as well starting today. Is this a problem with their repo?

• Jason Swartz says:

December 8, 2013

Ah Scala Plugin build 0.26.327 fixes this issue. Thanks JetBrains folks!

• Maxim Razumov says:

December 8, 2013

Yep, it fixed, though, now it’s failed to open recent sbt projects from Rx scala course. E. g. https://spark-public.s3.amazonaws.com/reactive/assignments/actorbintree.zip

Can’t register given path of type ‘TEST’ because it’s out of content root

December 9, 2013

We will take a look for this issue, thank you for the report.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

• Mark van der Voort says:

December 10, 2013

Fixed in 0.26.328. Thanks a lot Alexander!

• Viktor says:

December 10, 2013

Can someone provide a link to that bug report? I have the same problem in 0.26.327. Gonna give 0.26.328 a try if I can find it. Here I can only find older: http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/?id=1347

Link, pretty pretty please?

• Andy says:

December 10, 2013

@Viktor: it works for me with 0.26.328 and latest submission zip
            Click Settings->Plugins->Scala->Plugin Homepage->Nightly Builds (Cardea)-> Download the latest build (328)
            Than Settings->Plugins->Scala->Install from Disk
            and restart

• Viktor says:

December 10, 2013

@Andy Thanks!

• Johan Rylander says:

December 12, 2013

Another thanks (same course 🙂 )

16. Marcin says:

December 6, 2013

Does the plugin support sub-projects builds? I was trying to migrate my project with multiple subprojects (first from Build.scala to build.sbt) but always failed with some multiple project error message (I cannot replicate in now because I get “org.jetbrains#sbt-structure;latest.integration” error).

December 9, 2013

Please create an issue in our issue tracker: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/SCL
      latest.integration error is fixed now.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

17. Henry says:

December 10, 2013

I seem to be able to open existing projects just fine, but am unable to create a new Play 2 Scala project after updating to II13. Is there something I need to update in order to have this functionality available? The setup acts as if I wouldn’t have Play at all, giving me the following error:

object index is not a member of package views.html
    Ok(views.html.index(“Your new application is ready.”))

• Dmitry Naydanov says:

December 10, 2013

Does the IDE recognize .scala.html files or it thinks they are plain html?

• Anwy says:

September 18, 2014

how to let the IDE recognize .scala.html files?

September 18, 2014

Install Play 2.0 plugin in your IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate.

• Anwy says:

September 18, 2014

IDE is Intellij Idea

• Anwy says:

September 18, 2014

hi, did you solve this problem?

18. David Perez says:

December 10, 2013

How do I enable “Autoimport” without re-creating the module?.
    I’ve forgotten to do so.

19. David Perez says:

December 10, 2013

If you import it mistakenly as a project, when you want a module, it’s not easy to revert it.

I had to delete the generated project, rename the directory which contained the module, and re-import it as module again.

20. David Perez says:

December 10, 2013

How can I update the IDEA module build path, when I change the build.sbt file, by adding e.g. a new jar?.

21. David Perez says:

December 11, 2013

I answer myself, to my last questions: the SBT tasks window allows all these operations. I didn’t know it existed.

Scala plugin suffers from lack of documentation. That’s normal in something that changes so quickly.

22. Rob Conaway says:

December 15, 2013

If I make a change to my build.sbt, I should see the changes in my IDEA project, correct? For example, if I add a libraryDependencies to build.sbt, then that library will show up in the module dependencies as soon as the build.sbt file is saved?

I cannot see any evidence of auto-import. I checked the box for auto-import when I imported the project, but when I change build.sbt nothing changes in my IDEA project.

December 16, 2013

In the current state you need to save file to get auto-import feature working.
      My oppinion is that manual importing is handier for now, I hope things will be changed in the future.

23. Jakub says:

December 16, 2013

Are there any plans to improve scala debugging ? There are a lot of limits right now that makes one think about using it at all.

• Tomas says:

December 19, 2013

+1 for debugger improvements! A debugger is something everyone uses, unlike Play support or SBT support, so I’d guess it should be given more attention.

December 20, 2013

Progress is slow, but we always have in mind debugger improvements. That’s why it’s constantly improving.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

24. DaMour says:

December 19, 2013

Is there a way to enable auto import (build.sbt watching) for my already existing IDEA project? Is there a way to invoke the auto-import (sync by build.sbt w/ the external libraries) ad-hoc?

December 20, 2013

It’s not yet implemeted. You can import again your project. Setting for auto-import in settings menu will be available in next nightly build or in next Scala plugin release around 10th January.
      Also you manually refresh SBT from toolwindow.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

25. peg says:

January 6, 2014

With the latest versions of intellij and sbt plugin, I have difficult importing an sbt project, but I end with the “Resolve Error” window and it freezes up. Tried many steps but in vain: “File -> Invalidate cache/restart”, changed SBT jar from bundled to custom jar for sbt 12.1.

Any suggestions?

PS: The lines below in the “Resolve Error” pop-up window.

[info] Loading global plugins from /private/var/folders/c1/3_32xl455k11rdqg4d67ldxh0000gn/T/sbt-global-plugins5195518855896208613.tmp
    [info] Updating {file:/private/var/folders/c1/3_32xl455k11rdqg4d67ldxh0000gn/T/sbt-global-plugins5195518855896208613.tmp/}default-221665…
    [info] Resolving org.jetbrains#sbt-structure;2.0.0 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#sbt;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#main;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#actions;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#classpath;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#launcher-interface;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-lang#scala-library;2.9.2 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#interface;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#io;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#control;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-lang#scala-compiler;2.9.2 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#completion;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#collections;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving jline#jline;1.0 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#api;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#compiler-integration;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#incremental-compiler;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#logging;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#process;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#compile;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#persist;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-tools.sbinary#sbinary_2.9.0;0.4.0 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#classfile;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#compiler-ivy-integration;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.scala-sbt#ivy;0.12.1 …
    [info] Resolving org.apache.ivy#ivy;2.3.0-rc1 …
    [info] Resolving com.jcraft#jsch;0.1.46 …
    [info] Resolving commons-httpclient#commons-httpclient;3.1 …

• Andy MacKinlay says:

January 8, 2014

I had a similar problem. Was your error dialog truncated because it took up more than one screen? I had that problem. There was a resolve error lower down, which I was able to find out by accessing the system log (Console.app on OS X; not sure on other systems).

• peg says:

January 8, 2014

I compiled using sbt outside the idea and identified the library causing the resolve error, fixed it and then reimported into idea.

sbt plugin is very finicky and would have appreciated identifying the error after the import to be fixed from within.

• Andy MacKinlay says:

January 14, 2014

Yep, I agree that allowing imports when SBT deps do not completely resolve would be very useful (as would readable error messages – that should be a very easy fix)

26. Andy MacKinlay says:

January 8, 2014

Is there a way to configure the global SBT settings? In particular, I need to make it look at my local Maven repository. I achieve this with vanilla SBT by adding the following line to ~/.sbt/global.sbt:

resolvers += “Local Maven Repository” at “file://” + Path.userHome.absolutePath + “/.m2/repository”

Can I do something equivalent with the Idea SBT? Without this I can’t import my project as it fails at the import stage (it would be great if it was possible to import anyway in these cases, BTW)

January 9, 2014

No, it’s limitation of current implementation of SBT support. Most probably it will be implemented in future.

Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

• Kim says:

January 9, 2014

Does any one know who to contact for sbt support? It’s very hard to find any information online…

• galway says:

July 2, 2014

I set proxy servers in ~/.sbt/repositories which take effect for my installed sbt, but the bundled sbt in idea cannot use this setting, is there anyway to resolve it?

• Pavel Fatin says:

July 9, 2014

Hi!

Please check SCL-6278

(in short: that should be fixed in the newest IDEA-13-compatible Scala plugin nightly builds)

27. Davi says:

January 24, 2014

The dependencies in build.sbt are synchronized correctly with IDEA, but the lib folder and its jars is ignored.

28. Chuck says:

February 28, 2014

I am done with intellij. Over to the typesafe IDE

8:43:01 PM SBT ‘xxxx’ project refresh failed:
    Premature end of file.
    SBT settings

29. Alexy Khrabrov says:

March 4, 2014

How do I enable auto-import after the project is already created? Synchronize doesn’t seem to get new dependencies just added to build.sbt.

30. Stephen Boesch says:

May 3, 2014

Does not work. I started with an already-working sbt project. Followed the instructions. IJ spent along time refreshing the sbt project. But then the third party library dependencies were not resolved .

I am going to try the gen-idea plugin.

31. Nikita Firsin says:

May 7, 2014

I am unable to create simplest Scala program with IntelliJ. Tried to use SBT and it ended not being able to download some tangled file reference for IVY (Connection timed out: connect url=http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/ivy-releases/org.fusesource.jansi/jansi/1.11/ivys/ivy.xml).

There is no clue why, I can’t find any configs for SBT and stuff. I strongly suspect Proxy configuration but can’t prove it.

Besides, current SBT version doesn’t support non-ASCII names in paths. I can change it in manually installed SBT package, but not in IDEA-bundled one. All in all it is a frustrating experience, trying to do simplest of things and being forced to fight through the unneccessary complications.

Offtopic: using pure Scala module to create a worksheet grants me “Error:bad macro impl binding: versionFormat is supposed to be there” error.

Going to try Eclipse-based Scala IDE and see if I have some luck with this.

32. b0c1 says:

June 30, 2014

Hi guys, maybe I’m do something wrong, I have scala project files under the “project” directory (sry I hate .sbt files) but the new embedded sbt plugin will kill the project. All dependency (Build, scala etc) is marked to red. What I miss?
    The original project generated with gen-idea. this is a multilevel/multi module project… (with some web project)

33. Paul says:

November 1, 2014

Hello, when importing SBT project in Idea I get error:

[info] Reading structure from C:\....
    [info] Writing structure to C:\Users\?\AppData\Local\Temp\sbt-structure2416280322610456936.xml...
    [error] java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\?\AppData\Local\Temp\sbt-structure2416280322610456936.xml

Is there a problem with the path ‘C:\Users\?\AppData’?

34. sepideh says:

November 24, 2017

118/5000
    Hello
    How do I run the inverted-index project at https://github.com/stdatalabs/inverted-index in spark?

35. sepideh says:

November 24, 2017

hello
    How to run inverted-index project at https://github.com/stdatalabs/inverted-index in intellij (spark) ???
    help me please

36. Niharika says:

April 19, 2020

I’m facing this issue of not being able to run the apache spark maven depedencies(in sbt).
    It doesn’t shows up the option to import the project whenever I copy paste the dependency in built.sbt and even after refreshing the sbt from right panel. It shows the error-
    projectname:failed
    extracting project structure for sbt
    sbt task failed, see log for details
    sbt task failed, see log for details
    Extracting structure failed.

Also sometimes my simple project fails on Sync. It shows the error
    extracting structure failed.