TeamCity Plugin Contest 2019: Create Plugins for TeamCity and Win Prizes
We are thrilled to announce the TeamCity Plugin Contest 2019 – a competition among TeamCity plugin developers where everyone wins!
Every contestant who submits a plugin will receive a 1-year subscription to one of the JetBrains IDEs. The Contest starts today, April 24, and will last until June 24. The results will be announced on July 17.
What the prizes are
Everyone who submits a plugin will be awarded a 1-year personal product subscription to a JetBrains IDE of their choice. The first three places will also receive Amazon gift cards of $3,000, $2,000, and $1,000 value, respectively.
There will also be a Special Prize from the TeamCity development team – a trip to a JetBrains office in St. Petersburg or Munich. Finally, the People’s Choice Award winner will receive a 1-year All Products Pack subscription as well as a TeamCity Build Agent license.
Learn about plugin development
If you are new to TeamCity plugin development, or looking for additional guidance, there are several opportunities available:
- Sign up for the upcoming webinar on “How to build plugins for TeamCity” on April 30, where Anton Arhipov will take you step by step through the plugin development process.
- See the plugin development documentation or get help through the plugin development forum.
- Join the Slack channel to chat with other TeamCity plugin developers.
- Learn from Snyk’s experience. Snyk offers a developer-first solution for open source security. They are developing a TeamCity plugin to help users with automated vulnerability scanning. Check out the Snyk’s blog post series documenting their story of building the plugin and tips to help others learn from their experience.
You are of course very welcome to come up with any plugin ideas on your own. However, if you need some inspiration, we’ve prepared this list of the most often requested features and integrations by the community. Feel free to draw your inspiration from them:
- Additional authentication options (OAuth, SAML, etc.) TW-34709
- Manual approval for build start TW-26623
- Integrations with continuous delivery platforms (such as Spinnaker) TW-49297
- Server-wide announcements TW-3737
- Automatic build tagging based on predefined rules TW-16385
- Conditional build steps TW-17939
- Comparing builds TW-60097
- Find usages for build configuration parameters TW-18543
- Release downloads page TW-2963
- Integrations with code review tools (Gerrit, GitHub) TW-19102
How the winners will be picked
Once the submissions close on June 24, the judges will get to work. This year we have three amazing judges joining us:
Ix-chel has developed software applications & tools since 2000. Her research interests include Java, dynamic languages, client-side technologies, and testing. She is a Java Champion, Oracle Developer Champion, hackergarten enthusiast, Open Source advocate, public speaker, and mentor.
Andres is a Java/Groovy developer and a Java Champion with more than 20 years of experience in software design and development. He has been involved in web and desktop application development since the early days of Java. Andres is a true believer in open source and has participated in popular projects like Groovy, Griffon, and DbUnit, as well as his own projects (Json-lib, EZMorph, GraphicsBuilder, and JideBuilder). Founding member of the Griffon framework and the Hackergarten community event.
Igal is a software developer at Wix.com, working on build infrastructure and internal developer tools. His passion for developer productivity allowed Igal to work on such tools as debuggers, unit testing frameworks, plugins for Visual Studio, and IDEs from JetBrains, during his 15-year career. Igal is also the creator of several ReSharper plugins as well as a TeamCity plugin which took 2nd place in the previous JetBrains TeamCity Plugin Contest.
These judges will join the TeamCity development team in reviewing all the submitted plugins and rate them according to the criteria. The best three will get the main prizes. There will also be a special prize from the TeamCity team. All the plugins will become available for community voting, and the top voted plugin will receive the People’s Choice Award.
The countdown has started! Follow the news via our blog and Twitter, with the #TeamCityContest2019 hashtag.
We are looking forward to your entries. Happy developing and building!