Clarification on Go support plugin availability in IntelliJ-based IDEs

Yesterday we released the newest member to our family of IDEs, GoLand an IDE for Go language. Additionally, this week we have also released major 2017.3 updates to many of our other tools, including IntelliJ IDEA, WebStorm, CLion, PyCharm and more.

Some of our users, who upgraded their corresponding IDE to the released version have noticed that the Go plugin is no longer available, which may have come as a surprise. We’d like to explain why this has happened and the reasons behind it.

First and foremost, this is not a recent change, nor is it related to the release of GoLand this week. Over a month ago we mentioned in one of the GoLand EAP blog posts that the Go plugin would no longer be available in future EAPs and releases of IDEs other than IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. The reason behind this, as outlined in the post, is that this aligns with our general IDE approach: PyCharm for Python, RubyMine for Ruby, etc., and GoLand for Go.

It seems that by not having disabled the Go plugin in other IDEs from the start of the EAP program, and by not having communicated this properly to a wider audience when the change was made, the current situation has come as somewhat of a surprise to some of our users.

We failed, and we sincerely apologize for this. Rest assured however that it was never our intention to mislead anybody. It was though an oversight on our part in how we presented it. The plugin was never shipped out of the box nor enabled by default in any of our IDEs.

And to reiterate, it was always in the plan to have Go plugin functionality available as part of the GoLand IDE. If you want Go functionality combined with other technologies, then IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate is the right choice for you, much like in the case of the other technologies such as Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.

Once again, please accept our apologies for not communicating the change clearly enough.

JetBrains

This entry was posted in FYI, News. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Clarification on Go support plugin availability in IntelliJ-based IDEs

1. pizza says:

Is there any plan to have one single IDE in where you can just check off the languages you want support for (and subsequently be billed for)? Segmenting the applications by language is, in my opinion, a very poor user experience.

• Charlie Hayes says:

IDEA Ultimate is the non-segmented IDE.

• Hadi Hariri says:

I’d love to understand what you mean with poor user experience. Could you give me some more details?

To give you some reasoning behind this, what we try and do with our IDEs is cater the experience based on the technology one is developing. For instance, in the case of PyCharm, it is configured and targeted at Python development. This means everything is set up for Python, pre-configured if you will.

If you take IntelliJ IDEA, you’d need to do some of this configuration manually, and then of course if you’re using it for multiple products, you start to have many different environments and yet you only use one at a single time. That’s why we try and provide the same experience common across all our IDEs and then cater each one based on the type of development. That’s why we also offer the whole Toolbox experience, to make this better.

• pizza says:

Thanks for the response.

I use clion quite a bit for database internal development – now this is a really unfortunate experience for me because as far as I can tell, I can’t get the datagrip stuff into clion – so I have to switch back and forth between intellij as part of my development experience.

Since I would reckon that most projects use a mix of languages, conceptually, dividing applications on particular languages is not logical.

“Pycharm is configured and targeted at Python development”

I am not sure why this can’t just be the case when I just open a .py file in my c++ application?

The fact that I can download the golang plugin in ultimate means, from what I understand by your comment, is a compromise on the quality of out of the box experience for golang development. I do not believe this is accurate.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

I just want to comment about CLion. You can open .py file in it, since CLion bundles PyCharm community. This was done because nearly 30% of CLion users who report feature usage statistics have Python files in their C++ projects.
          As for the databases, to be honest, I don’t remember any single request on DB plugin in CLion, so we decided not to add smth our users in CLion don’t need. If you feel that’s not right, raise a feature request in our tracker, please.

2. Marat says:

Nothing to say except one thing: You do not care about users, only about money.

3. Bughunter says:

“If you want Go functionality combined with other technologies, then IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate is the right choice for you, much like in the case of the other technologies such as Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.”
    … CLion, Rider!!! (SCNR)

4. Mobdro says:

There wasn’t a requirement for apologies. IDE team has done their best to do the possibilities. Thank you so much for the update Eugene. All the best to whole team for 2018.

5. Ray Scott says:

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to make money from the products you develop, and I think most people would understand that. We all need to survive, but this blog post reveals a rather unpleasant side to how you handle the truth, or lack thereof.