Clarification on Go support plugin availability in IntelliJ-based IDEs

Yesterday we released the newest member to our family of IDEs, GoLand, an IDE for Go language. Additionally, this week we have also released major 2017.3 updates to many of our other tools, including IntelliJ IDEA, WebStorm, CLion, PyCharm, and more.

Some of our users who upgraded their corresponding IDE to the released version have noticed that the Go plugin is no longer available, which may have come as a surprise. We’d like to explain why this has happened and the reasons behind it.

First and foremost, this is not a recent change, nor is it related to the release of GoLand this week. Over a month ago we mentioned in one of the GoLand EAP blog posts that the Go plugin would no longer be available in future EAPs and releases of IDEs other than IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. The reason behind this, as outlined in the post, is that this aligns with our general IDE approach: PyCharm for Python, RubyMine for Ruby, etc., and GoLand for Go.

It seems that by not having disabled the Go plugin in other IDEs from the start of the EAP program, and by not having communicated this properly to a wider audience when the change was made, the current situation has come as somewhat of a surprise to some of our users.

We failed, and we sincerely apologize for this. Rest assured, however, that it was never our intention to mislead anybody. It was though an oversight on our part in how we presented it. The plugin was never shipped out of the box nor enabled by default in any of our IDEs.

To reiterate, it was always in the plan to have Go plugin functionality available as part of the GoLand IDE. If you want Go functionality combined with other technologies, then IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate is the right choice for you, much like in the case of the other technologies such as Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.

Once again, please accept our apologies for not communicating the change clearly enough.

This entry was posted in FYI, News. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Clarification on Go support plugin availability in IntelliJ-based IDEs

1. pizza says:

Is there any plan to have one single IDE in where you can just check off the languages you want support for (and subsequently be billed for)? Segmenting the applications by language is, in my opinion, a very poor user experience.

• Charlie Hayes says:

IDEA Ultimate is the non-segmented IDE.

• Hadi Hariri says:

I’d love to understand what you mean with poor user experience. Could you give me some more details?

To give you some reasoning behind this, what we try and do with our IDEs is cater the experience based on the technology one is developing. For instance, in the case of PyCharm, it is configured and targeted at Python development. This means everything is set up for Python, pre-configured if you will.

If you take IntelliJ IDEA, you’d need to do some of this configuration manually, and then of course if you’re using it for multiple products, you start to have many different environments and yet you only use one at a single time. That’s why we try and provide the same experience common across all our IDEs and then cater each one based on the type of development. That’s why we also offer the whole Toolbox experience, to make this better.

• pizza says:

Thanks for the response.

I use clion quite a bit for database internal development – now this is a really unfortunate experience for me because as far as I can tell, I can’t get the datagrip stuff into clion – so I have to switch back and forth between intellij as part of my development experience.

Since I would reckon that most projects use a mix of languages, conceptually, dividing applications on particular languages is not logical.

“Pycharm is configured and targeted at Python development”

I am not sure why this can’t just be the case when I just open a .py file in my c++ application?

The fact that I can download the golang plugin in ultimate means, from what I understand by your comment, is a compromise on the quality of out of the box experience for golang development. I do not believe this is accurate.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

I just want to comment about CLion. You can open .py file in it, since CLion bundles PyCharm community. This was done because nearly 30% of CLion users who report feature usage statistics have Python files in their C++ projects.
          As for the databases, to be honest, I don’t remember any single request on DB plugin in CLion, so we decided not to add smth our users in CLion don’t need. If you feel that’s not right, raise a feature request in our tracker, please.

2. Marat says:

Nothing to say except one thing: You do not care about users, only about money.

3. Bughunter says:

“If you want Go functionality combined with other technologies, then IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate is the right choice for you, much like in the case of the other technologies such as Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.”
    … CLion, Rider!!! (SCNR)

4. Mobdro says:

There wasn’t a requirement for apologies. IDE team has done their best to do the possibilities. Thank you so much for the update Eugene. All the best to whole team for 2018.

5. Ray Scott says:

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to make money from the products you develop, and I think most people would understand that. We all need to survive, but this blog post reveals a rather unpleasant side to how you handle the truth, or lack thereof.

6. Eli says:

Im sorry this is making me cancel my paid sub to Webstorm IDE.

Im a Full stack developer and mostly using client side frameworks and tech, thus enjoying paid webstorm license. Im Also write a lot of Go code. I am not going to pay both for Webstorm and GoLand! This move, seems just greedy… You lost a paying customer

• Eugene Toporov says:

Hi Eli,
      Thank you for the feedback.
      In your case, you do not need to pay for 2 IDEs since all features of WebStorm are available in GoLand, so you can just switch your subscription to GoLand.
      I’m sure our sales team can help you if you are interested.

• Eli says:

ok, so what is the reason to have Webstorm all together? is Webstorm license cheaper?

• Eugene Toporov says:

Yes, you are correct, WebStorm is a little bit cheaper than other IDEs and is basically included in all of the non-free IDEs.

• Arno Nyhm says:

you should help the users in this case with:

a) a diagram which shows which IDE include which Toolset
            b) allow a smooth transition between the IDEs (settings / installed plugins)
            c) i think is the most problem to restore the same settings and setups like in the other IDE

• StCredZero says:

I find it curious you say that the sales team can help switch a license from WebStorm to GoLand. I emailed them to do precisely this about a week ago, and they have not answered me.

• Eugene Toporov says:

I’m very sorry if your request is still unanswered. Could you please let me know any details I could use to find the email from you in our support system?
          Thank you!

• Sandeep Kalra says:

I am also interested in moving from Webstorm License to GoLand. I would like to know the details and the cost associated if any.

• Eugene Toporov says:

Sandeep, please contact our sales team with this question (email them at They will give you a specific answer based on your subscription state.

• Sandeep Kalra says:

Surprisingly, this reply I got is far different than what you claimed.

Official Reply:
                WebStorm and GoLand don’t have an upgrade / switch path between them. Hence, we cannot upgrade your license to GoLand. You need to purchase a new GoLand license.

7. Arno Nyhm says:

if the IntelliJ IDEA includes all the languages IDEs then it would be nice to have a switch or something like this to configure the IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate to behave like a specialised language IDE per project. that makes sense for me to use the Ultimate and also an argument for the upgrade to the Ultimate.

PS: i think it is not always the price tag the problem to “upgrade” to Ultimate. it is the problem that i need to setup the Ultimate by Hand and even if i do this the Ultimate not behave exactly like the languages IDEs.

8. Sushil Shinde says:

It’s been a long time I am using PhpStorm. Go plugin is not available in the latest version. Is there any way to switch my subscription to GoLang?