ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released

You can now download ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1, which includes a set of bug fixes and improvements to ReSharper and ReSharper C++.

Highlights of this update

Note that dotCover, dotTrace, dotMemory and dotPeek 2016.1.1 are basically all compatibility updates that have not received any considerable changes by themselves.

If you are interested in the improvements described above, please download and install ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1.

This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released

1. Mike-EEE says:

Great to see the progress Team ReSharper… it would be great to see more efforts put into fixing xUnit support and the continuous/unit testing runner in general. It is suffering, bad. :(

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Mike,

Can you probably name specific issues that are currently bothering you with xUnit support, continuous testing and unit testing in general?

Thanks

• Mike-EEE says:

Thinking about this more Jura. I really think JetBrains should consider extending the R# Ultimate value proposition and make a new test product altogether (dotPass? dotCheck?), R#U does such a great job segmenting out all the phases of development, but it seems testing is baked into the IDE, when it should be its own tool as well. That way it can get the resources/luv it needs. Unfortunately while I see the promise of the current implementation, it leaves much to be desired. VS Test Explorer is difficult to work with, and R#’s UI for Unit Test Explorer and Unit Test Sessions is built on a different UI toolkit and feels a little wonky. It would be great to see this redone with more emphasis on Continuous Testing, and a grid-based UI that allows for powerful grouping/sorting, all provided in a new, dedicated product — that can be used standalone or in the IDE ala dotTrace.

That way the R# Ultimate Suite conceptually covers:
        – Code productivity
        – Symbol Server (which is awesome btw — it got me to ditch Reflector Pro which was messing up my integration w/ R#)
        – Memory
        – Performance
        – *Testing*

I realize testing is part of the suite now, but it doesn’t feel properly segmented/branded.

I will finish with this: R# Ultimate has done a tremendous job improving my skillset as a developer because of the conceptual segmentation it provides. I hadn’t really gotten into performance/tracing until R#U and dotTrace. I mean, I had, but the experiences w/ VS were really terrible. Now I feel like I’ve gotten a lot of out it. And now I am starting to explore memory w/ dotMemory and all the magic there. This is a very powerful element of R#U and that is why I suggest branching out testing (and dedicating the proper resources to it) and extending the value proposition/brand.

Geeze, I just wrote a blog post. 😛 But, hope this helps.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Thanks Mike,

Actually dotCover has grown beyond its original purpose to cover different shades of testing (from manual test runs where coverage shows you what has been checked, to continuous unit testing).

There is however room for improvement, both in terms of continuous testing (for example, I’ll be the first to agree with you that having a separate UI for CT sessions is awkward) and based on Rider experience where we’re currently developing a unit test runner UI.

• Mike-EEE says:

Cooooool.. yes, dotCover! I knew I was leaving one out and being lazy. And yes, I should really keep my mouth shut until Project Rider emerges in all its glory. :)

• The testing experience is a pinnacle reason I use resharper, hard to say whether it’s exactly #1 2 or 3. Anything that improves the runner is highly desirable.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Wow, thanks a lot for pointing at all these issues, Michael.

I know that people from QA and dev are currently looking at the issues and trying to figure out how and when to approach them.

Also, based on comments to RSRP-458309 (one of your show-stoppers) should be fixed in 2016.1.1, please check.

• Mike-EEE says:

I will definitely do that! My project is totally horked right now so I am getting it out of a sad place first before installing 2016.1.1. :)

Just out of curiosity, if it is fixed, is there a reason why this is not reflected in the issue?

2. trailmax says:

Now I was waiting for this release before installing 2016.1.x
    Bugfixes and perf improvements is what we want

• oddbear says:

I agree.

For me ReSharper is turned off by default, since it just makes to much noise.
      I use commands like ReSharper_Suspend and ReSharper_Resume to turn it on, when I think it would help. And clearing the cache often.

What JetBrains has today is a very good product, but with all the performance problems and bugs, it makes it really hard to use.

3. Pingback: ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released  | OPC Diary

4. Pingback: Dew Drop – May 5, 2015 (#2244) | Morning Dew

5. Pingback: Node-Updates, Split-Screen-Layouts & Windows Store for Business

6. Dotnetshadow says:

What is the roadmap for ASP.NET core applications? RC2 looks like it will be releasing mid May. Specifically features like unit testing support through resharper among other features?

7. Jeff says:

The link to all issues, https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues?q=in:%20RSRP%20Fix%20version:%202016.1.1%20%23Fixed%20, is not working (fix version of 2016.1.1 does not seem to exist). Can you please update the link?

8. Pingback: Szumma #038 – 2016 18. hét | d/fuel

9. Ken says:

Has there been any significant changes in “resharper build” for this release, or any new settings?

I have a large solution (>100 projects – I know, not ideal) that used to take in the region of 30 seconds with Resharper 10.0.2, but is now taking in excess of 10 minutes with Resharper 2016.1.1.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Hi Ken,

This doesn’t sound good. Was the ReSharper upgrade the only change to your development environment around the time when build time increased?

• Ken says:

Reverting to 10.0.2 has returned by Resharper build its previous performance.

So, whilst there may have been other changes to my dev setup, it would appear that reverting Resharper fixes the problem.

Is there anything useful I can send you to help you look into this? I’m unsurprisingly quite reluctant to update to 2016.1.1 if it means my compile time goes up by an order of magnitude.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Thanks for clarifying, Ken.

I have inquired, and there’s a similar issue reported as RSRP-458776. However, the reporter’s performance snapshot doesn’t give any picture of what’s going on.

We’ll be looking at this further but so far it isn’t clear what’s going on.

Of course, a way to reproduce this would be great to have but I wouldn’t go as far as to ask you to take a performance snapshot because in this scenario, it’s not guaranteed to help.

I suggest that you subscribe to updates of the issue that I reference above, and if the team needs any further help in reproducing, you’ll know.

Thanks and apologies.

• Mike-EEE says:

WOW… MORE that 100 projects in 30 seconds?! How on earth? I am clocking 40 seconds or so for my 10 projects. Apparently I have some serious optimizing to do. 😛