ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released

Posted on by Jura Gorohovsky

You can now download ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1, which includes a set of bug fixes and improvements to ReSharper and ReSharper C++.

Highlights of this update

Note that dotCover, dotTrace, dotMemory and dotPeek 2016.1.1 are basically all compatibility updates that have not received any considerable changes by themselves.

If you are interested in the improvements described above, please download and install ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

33 Responses to ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released

1. Mike-EEE says:

May 4, 2016

Great to see the progress Team ReSharper… it would be great to see more efforts put into fixing xUnit support and the continuous/unit testing runner in general. It is suffering, bad. 🙁

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 4, 2016

Mike,

Can you probably name specific issues that are currently bothering you with xUnit support, continuous testing and unit testing in general?

Thanks

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

Thinking about this more Jura. I really think JetBrains should consider extending the R# Ultimate value proposition and make a new test product altogether (dotPass? dotCheck?), R#U does such a great job segmenting out all the phases of development, but it seems testing is baked into the IDE, when it should be its own tool as well. That way it can get the resources/luv it needs. Unfortunately while I see the promise of the current implementation, it leaves much to be desired. VS Test Explorer is difficult to work with, and R#’s UI for Unit Test Explorer and Unit Test Sessions is built on a different UI toolkit and feels a little wonky. It would be great to see this redone with more emphasis on Continuous Testing, and a grid-based UI that allows for powerful grouping/sorting, all provided in a new, dedicated product — that can be used standalone or in the IDE ala dotTrace.

That way the R# Ultimate Suite conceptually covers:
        – Code productivity
        – Symbol Server (which is awesome btw — it got me to ditch Reflector Pro which was messing up my integration w/ R#)
        – Memory
        – Performance
        – *Testing*

I realize testing is part of the suite now, but it doesn’t feel properly segmented/branded.

I will finish with this: R# Ultimate has done a tremendous job improving my skillset as a developer because of the conceptual segmentation it provides. I hadn’t really gotten into performance/tracing until R#U and dotTrace. I mean, I had, but the experiences w/ VS were really terrible. Now I feel like I’ve gotten a lot of out it. And now I am starting to explore memory w/ dotMemory and all the magic there. This is a very powerful element of R#U and that is why I suggest branching out testing (and dedicating the proper resources to it) and extending the value proposition/brand.

Geeze, I just wrote a blog post. 😛 But, hope this helps.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Thanks Mike,

Actually dotCover has grown beyond its original purpose to cover different shades of testing (from manual test runs where coverage shows you what has been checked, to continuous unit testing).

There is however room for improvement, both in terms of continuous testing (for example, I’ll be the first to agree with you that having a separate UI for CT sessions is awkward) and based on Rider experience where we’re currently developing a unit test runner UI.

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

Cooooool.. yes, dotCover! I knew I was leaving one out and being lazy. And yes, I should really keep my mouth shut until Project Rider emerges in all its glory. 🙂

• Chris Marisic says:

May 5, 2016

The testing experience is a pinnacle reason I use resharper, hard to say whether it’s exactly #1 2 or 3. Anything that improves the runner is highly desirable.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 5, 2016

Wow, thanks a lot for pointing at all these issues, Michael.

I know that people from QA and dev are currently looking at the issues and trying to figure out how and when to approach them.

Also, based on comments to RSRP-458309 (one of your show-stoppers) should be fixed in 2016.1.1, please check.

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

I will definitely do that! My project is totally horked right now so I am getting it out of a sad place first before installing 2016.1.1. 🙂

Just out of curiosity, if it is fixed, is there a reason why this is not reflected in the issue?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 5, 2016

Well I guess it’s a chicken-and-egg problem, and we could be waiting for you to verify (or report that the problem still persists).

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

This does appear to be fixed! I will update the issue with any further developments.

2. trailmax says:

May 4, 2016

Now I was waiting for this release before installing 2016.1.x
    Bugfixes and perf improvements is what we want

• oddbear says:

I agree.

For me ReSharper is turned off by default, since it just makes to much noise.
      I use commands like ReSharper_Suspend and ReSharper_Resume to turn it on, when I think it would help. And clearing the cache often.

What JetBrains has today is a very good product, but with all the performance problems and bugs, it makes it really hard to use.

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

+1. I bought an insanely ridiculous development machine back in 2013 just to account for any overhead VS+ReSharper might incur. That was a great investment (and have been generally happy w/ R# performance), but now I am dealing with serious build times and have to figure out what the deal is there. If it’s not one thing it’s another. 😛

In any case, I have noticed that the longer VS2015 is opened, the slower/chunkier things get and I have to close/reopen frequently.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 5, 2016

Mike, when you’re dealing with serious build times, is this with ReSharper Build or with Visual Studio’s native build?

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

It’s both, actually… I shouldn’t have mentioned it. That is not an R# problem, but just saying that there is always “something else” out there to deal with (I am also using PostSharp as well, which is about 20% of the build time I am finding, FWIW). But since we are on the subject, it would be nice to be able to dive into build times and see what is taking so darn long. 😛

Maybe like a windirstat for build times. 🙂

• Nicholas Head says:

May 5, 2016

There are also some weird Roslyn CPU/memory leak issues occurring in VS2015 Update 2:

Still waiting for those fixes to get out to production/users – because it’s making my (already slow VS2015) even slower/chunkier.

• Mike-EEE says:

May 5, 2016

NICE! Yes I have run into that, too. I thought it was a R# thing initially and was told on YouTrack that it was not. 🙂 Glad I’m not the only one seeing that!

• edokan says:

May 6, 2016

One thing that made my VS2013 happy with R# (EAP) is that I’ve patched it to use 4 GB of memory address instead of 2.

see: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

• trailmax says:

May 6, 2016

O_O Good shout for keyboard commands. Did not really think of it. Need to set it up!

3. ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released  | OPC Diary says:

[…] 情報源: ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released | ReSharper Ultimate Blog […]

4. Dew Drop – May 5, 2015 (#2244) | Morning Dew says:

[…] ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released (Jura Gorohovsky) […]

5. Node-Updates, Split-Screen-Layouts & Windows Store for Business says:

May 6, 2016

[…] 3.0 unterstützen und den Boost.Test-Runner stabiler machen. Alle weiteren Updates kann man dem Release-Post von Jura Gorhovsky entnehmen, in dem sich auch der entsprechende Download-Link […]

6. Dotnetshadow says:

May 11, 2016

What is the roadmap for ASP.NET core applications? RC2 looks like it will be releasing mid May. Specifically features like unit testing support through resharper among other features?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 11, 2016

We’re afraid .NET Core is still far from stable despite the RC tag. Ditching project.json recently is a good example. Basically Hadi said it all today.

7. Jeff says:

May 11, 2016

The link to all issues, https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues?q=in:%20RSRP%20Fix%20version:%202016.1.1%20%23Fixed%20, is not working (fix version of 2016.1.1 does not seem to exist). Can you please update the link?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 11, 2016

Thanks for noticing, Jeff. The link is now working again.

8. Szumma #038 – 2016 18. hét | d/fuel says:

May 11, 2016

[…] ReSharper Ultimate 2016.1.1 is released […]

9. Ken says:

May 18, 2016

Has there been any significant changes in “resharper build” for this release, or any new settings?

I have a large solution (>100 projects – I know, not ideal) that used to take in the region of 30 seconds with Resharper 10.0.2, but is now taking in excess of 10 minutes with Resharper 2016.1.1.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 18, 2016

Hi Ken,

This doesn’t sound good. Was the ReSharper upgrade the only change to your development environment around the time when build time increased?

• Ken says:

May 18, 2016

Reverting to 10.0.2 has returned by Resharper build its previous performance.

So, whilst there may have been other changes to my dev setup, it would appear that reverting Resharper fixes the problem.

Is there anything useful I can send you to help you look into this? I’m unsurprisingly quite reluctant to update to 2016.1.1 if it means my compile time goes up by an order of magnitude.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

May 19, 2016

Thanks for clarifying, Ken.

I have inquired, and there’s a similar issue reported as RSRP-458776. However, the reporter’s performance snapshot doesn’t give any picture of what’s going on.

We’ll be looking at this further but so far it isn’t clear what’s going on.

Of course, a way to reproduce this would be great to have but I wouldn’t go as far as to ask you to take a performance snapshot because in this scenario, it’s not guaranteed to help.

I suggest that you subscribe to updates of the issue that I reference above, and if the team needs any further help in reproducing, you’ll know.

Thanks and apologies.

• Mike-EEE says:

May 18, 2016

WOW… MORE that 100 projects in 30 seconds?! How on earth? I am clocking 40 seconds or so for my 10 projects. Apparently I have some serious optimizing to do. 😛