ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2: bug fix to a bug fix

Posted on by Jura Gorohovsky

Sometimes, a bug fix release needs a bug fix of its own.

That’s what happened to ReSharper this time: yesterday’s 2016.2.1 release introduced a bug whereby running Code Cleanup would incorrectly introduce access modifiers ahead of static constructors (RSRP-460771).

If you’re affected by this bug, please download and install ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2, and apologies for making you update twice.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better. 👈

Comments below can no longer be edited.

24 Responses to ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2: bug fix to a bug fix

1. rosdi says:

September 13, 2016

If you aren’t breaking something… you are not moving fast enough… 😉

2. tobi says:

September 13, 2016

Perfect response to this incident.

3. ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2: bug fix to a bug fix  | OPC Diary says:

September 13, 2016

[…] 情報源: ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2: bug fix to a bug fix | ReSharper Ultimate Blog […]

4. Vladimir Kozlov (ai_enabled) says:

September 14, 2016

The fix confirmed. Thank you very much for your lightning-fast response to the issue!

5. ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2 ist final – das ist neu - entwickler.de says:

September 14, 2016

[…] diesem Motto ist jetzt ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2 erschienen, das sich einem Fehler in der vorherigen, erst gestern erschienenen Version annimmt […]

6. JM Pirelli says:

September 14, 2016

A post about how you test ReSharper would be very interesting. Not because of this issue of course, but automating tests of such a tool does not seem easy.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

September 15, 2016

Thanks. Maybe someday the QA team gets the courage to write a novel (or at least a blog post) about automating ReSharper tests. Not easy, indeed )

7. Dew Drop - September 14, 2016 (#2328) - Morning Dew says:

September 14, 2016

[…] ReSharper Ultimate 2016.2.2: bug fix to a bug fix (Jura Gorohovsky) […]

8. Lee Salter says:

September 19, 2016

Hmm, this version seems to be broken.
    I cannot cover any of my tests now, just get stuck on Code Coverage Analysis in progress which never returns and I have to cancel it.

Any ideas of when this might be fixed? Has it been reported elsewhere?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

September 22, 2016

Lee, AFAIK you’re discussed this with dotCover support already. Please let me know if this is not the case.

9. Dev says:

September 22, 2016

Working with ASP.NET Core (on .NET Framework) makes Visual Studio enter crash loop when ReSharper is turned on. What are you guys doing?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

September 22, 2016

How can we reproduce this behavior? Is there anything about your environment that stands out? Are you using VS2015 Update 3 and .NET Core 1.0 RTM?

• Dev says:

September 23, 2016

VS2015.3, .NET Framework 4.5.2, ASP.NET Core 1.0.

I am trying to figure out. Issue present with 2016.2.2/2015.2. On a lame machine + W7 it crashes VS, on a modern machine +W10 it eventually becomes laggy (30-40% CPU). Might be VS/ASP Tooling problem, but disappears on R# uninstall.

I think it started when I added references to other projects.

PS: any plans to mirror to GitHub issue tracker? I know you have your products, but GitHub is where your customers are.

• Sean says:

November 17, 2016

Seeing the same issue. 2016.2.2 with VS2015 and .net core project. Opening the sln causes VS to crash immediately.

My colleagues are experiencing the same issue.

Rolling back to 2016.2 resolves the issue.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

November 17, 2016

Sean, we’re still unable to reproduce this as we’ve had no further data. Can you drop the support team a line so that we could find a way to get our developers in contact with your dev team? Thanks

10. Cliff says:

January 23, 2017

Hi,
    In this version, the line indentation bug from 2016.2 seems to resurface. That is. every new line will indent like
    var1,
    var2,
    var3

11. Cliff says:

January 23, 2017

The formatting in my post did not work
    I meant
    var1,
    {indent}var2,
    {indent}{indent}var3

• Alexander Kurakin says:

January 23, 2017

@Cliff please file a new request here https://resharper-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us (Submit a request button at the top of the page) and attach your R# settings to it, since I was not able to reproduce the same issue on my side. Thanks!

12. Cliff says:

February 6, 2017

The next line indentation is simply broken in 2016.2.x. The support was not helpful and stopped responding to my queries after I sent them a reproducible sample (at least from my side) I even tried the 2016.2.3 and it did not help. I had to revert back to 2016.1.2 🙁 I am quite disappointed in the support and will try out Visual Assist for my team

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

February 6, 2017

Cliff, I’m sorry that your communications with the support team have not been productive. I wasn’t able to find the support thread that the support staff stopped responding to: can you provide me with a ticket or issue number so that I can figure out what happened and see how we can further help you with this problem?

Thanks

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

February 6, 2017

Cliff, we have found the support thread, and looks like there are two support staff replies from Jan 26 and Jan 31 haven’t reached you. Can you probably check your spam folder? Support wasn’t able to reproduce the issue and is looking for more details from you.

Thanks for your cooperation