New in 10.5: Attach debugger to a running Android process

Posted on by eugene.kudelevsky

Recently, we’ve introduced a new feature that should make it MUCH easier to debug your Android applications. Now, you can attach IntelliJ IDEA debugger to any process running on an Android device or in the emulator, which is related to the source code of your project.

Just click “Attach debugger to Android process” toolbar button and you’ll see the list of processes grouped by device they are running on:

Note: to be shown in the list above the name of the process should be specified in AndroidManifest.xml as a “package” or “process” XML attribute.

The feature is, of course, available in the IntelliJ IDEA 10.5 Release Candidate. So, you are welcome to try and let us know what you think.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

10 Responses to New in 10.5: Attach debugger to a running Android process

1. Paul says:

May 18, 2011

In the Choose process dialog I see the device id but there is no list of processes.
    This is while the Android Logcat view is working.

‘adb shell ps’ works too.

• bandu says:

December 14, 2016

how to slove Disconnected from the target VM, address: ‘localhost:8600’, transport: ‘socket’

2. karel herink says:

July 27, 2011

Hi,
    I have the actual device and an emulator running at the same time and the process can be selected for debugging in the emulator but not on the device (Nexus S). When I execute:
    ./adb -d shell ps
    I can see the process listed:
    app_72 14591 75 112724 34324 ffffffff 00000000 S au.com.objectconsulting.vodafone.mobile.gss
    this is using IntelliJ 10.5.1 on OSX Lion

3. Sam Khan says:

November 17, 2011

I am experiencing the same issue as the user above in that I see the device id but no processes. I’ve specified various combination of the package and process attributes in the manifest file but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

4. Eugene Kudelevsky says:

November 22, 2011

@Sam, please submit an issue to our tracker: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/dashboard.

5. Magnus says:

January 16, 2012

I am having the same issue as Sam Khan and Paul. No process, only device id. And the ‘adb shell ps’ works

6. Lak says:

March 1, 2012

Hi,
    I am a Android mobile developer, I need to develop/debug with full code base that include the framework.

Eclipse can load full code base as following,

Can IntelliJ possible load full android code base just like Eclipse? How?

7. HAMID says:

October 16, 2014

when start to debug android in VS
    show this message “Device: No Devices Attached is either not running or not attached.”
    help me…
    pleas send to my mail

8. Callum says:

March 4, 2015

Hi there,

Please can someone respond to the issue of IntelliJ showing the device ID but not showing the processes on that actual device.

I am having this issue and I cant find a solution anywhere on the net.

Thanks

9. Rick Kilgore says:

September 20, 2017

In case anyone else gets stuck and finds this in the future, for me the fix was to close the Android Device Monitor. It seems that and the IntelliJ debugger fight each other for control of the device.