IntellIJ IDEA 14 Brings Better GWT’s Super Dev Mode Support

Andrey Cheptsov

If you’re already using, or just considering the use of GWT in your projects, you’re going to be glad to know that IntellIJ IDEA 14 will feature significant improvements in this area, aimed to streamline development workflow.

First of all, running applications in Super Dev Mode doesn’t require you to start the application server and the code server separately: the IDE will do it for you. Also, applying changes to running applications happens without the use of bookmarklets, by simply clicking the compile button on the application page right in the web browser. These great features are made possible by the Sencha’s library that helps to operate in Super Dev Mode.

Debugger is also improved in a number of ways: the Source Maps support is fully leveraged; the GWT run configuration has an option to tell the IDE to start a JavaScript debugger session automatically.

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 13.48.56

We hope you’ll find these improvements useful. Your feedback as always is welcome, so don’t hesitate to share it in our discussion forum as well as report bugs directly to the issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

27 Responses to IntellIJ IDEA 14 Brings Better GWT’s Super Dev Mode Support

1. Master Yoda says:

September 17, 2014

This is really some great news !!! kkep up the good work

2. AnonGwt says:

September 22, 2014

Awesome! Great work. GWT definitely needs more love from Intellij.

3. Christian Goudreau says:

September 25, 2014

Great works! I’m eager to use this new feature.

Did you try with GWT trunk and incremental compilation? We’ve been trying this new feature with success and it greatly improve performance.

If yes, is it working without any changes, if not, you should try 😀

4. Christian Joosen says:

October 26, 2014

Works great.

Nice job guys.
    Now converting a big project.

5. Igor Zubchenok says:

November 28, 2014

I don’t see the check for Javascript Debugger. What do I do wrong?
    IDEA 14 OSX
    Check the screenshot:

• Mike says:

December 24, 2014

you used an older version of gwt

6. Igor Zubchenok says:

November 28, 2014

Issue is solved. I just had to enable JavaScript debugger plugin (it was disabled and isn’t actually required by GWT support plugin). I guess you can note this in the post.

7. Alex says:

November 29, 2014

Do you have instructions on how to set this up please?

Do I need to full version of IDEA or will this be provided in the community edition?

• spydon says:

January 11, 2015

You need the Ultimate version for it to work.

8. Nir says:

January 15, 2015

Hi,
    When you use this option it automatically open 127.0.0.1:8888\default.html
    can’t i tell it to debug a remote server? or at least different port?

What do I miss?

Thanks

9. Luca Morettoni says:

February 4, 2015

If you’re using a different layout on your project this option is absolutely useless.
    Let me explain: I have a big maven project splitted in 3 different subprojects:
    – the client code (GWT)
    – the server code (JavaEE)
    – the shared code (RPC defitions and DTOs)

now I need to run the server from the command line because we use a special configuration of TomCat, so I will need to start the “Run/Debug” session without any running server, so could be useful if you add in the run settings a way to use an “external” server for the web application!

• Christophe says:

February 25, 2015

10. Konstantin says:

February 5, 2015

Hello!
    I miss options about where to deploy compiled code before launch and how to clean deployment directory – now I have a problem because every time it wipes out my H2 files (I use H2 on my local machine for testing).

If someone can explain how not to clean deployment directory every time that would be great.

11. Ronald says:

March 24, 2015

It does work nicely yes, however in have noticed that when you run your application and the application uses Annotations like @WebServlet. These are ignored by the Jetty application that is used when i start sdm. If i use sdm with the -noserver as an argument and i start sdm and my jetty manually ( same jetty version 9.0.xx) then they do work.

Is there a sollution? Because i cannot register everything in he web.xml since parts of my code are in modules that are listed as dependencies and these modes are pluggable.

12. mark thomas says:

March 25, 2015

Hi, when I select my module the Super Dev Mode checkbox goes away. Is there something I need to do to keep this from happening?

• Breandan Considine says:

March 26, 2015

Hi Mark, there should be a GWT facet under the module structure – could you check and see which version of GWT is the facet is using? (Project Structure | Modules | [Your Module] | GWT). IntelliJ IDEA supports Super Dev Mode on GWT 2.6.1 and later.

13. Thorben says:

May 4, 2015

Hi, when I set an breakpoint in the GWT source code within IntelliJ IDEA the debugger won’t stop at it. I’m using Chrome and have source maps enabled. I’ve testet with the generated project of the gwt-maven-plugin archetype. The JavaScript debugger plugin of IntelliJ IDEA is enabled, too. Any idea what’s going wrong?

• Thorben says:

May 5, 2015

I recognized that it’s just not stopping in the onModuleLoad() method on startup. However, it works in handlers, e.g. click handlers.

• Ben says:

May 29, 2015

I’m having almost the same problem, however none of my breakpoints are working.

14. Lucas Luppani says:

May 26, 2015

Andrey, this was working fine until the last update of Chrome. With Chrome 43, IDEA 14.1.3 and JavaScript IDE Support 2.0.8, the GWT 2.6.1 SuperDevMode breakpoints don’t stop. The first thing I’ve noticed is that when I add a breakpoint, it isn’t filled with a ‘tick’ anymore. I downgraded Chrome to v.42 and it all started to work again. Do you know if someone is tracking this? Thanks!

• Ben says:

May 29, 2015

Oooh, good to know. I’ve only just started with a fresh install of IntelliJ and it wasn’t working off the bat so I thought some additional config might be needed, but now I will try and downgrade Chrome and see what happens. Thanks!

• Sam Edge says:

June 3, 2015

Thank you so much so leaving this comment. I have spent around a day trying to isolate the issue, assuming it was my environment. Reinstalled several IntelliJ IDEA version, re-import my project, clearing all caches including chrome, re-installing Chrome plugin.

Having read this, I have now regained my sanity. 🙂

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

June 4, 2015

Thank you for reporting the problem, we’re already on it. Please track the progress at https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-141084

• Boris Granveaud says:

June 4, 2015

I think I hit the same bug. Breakpoints used to work in my project several months ago with GWT 2.6.1 but now they don’t anymore. I thought it was because of upgrading to 2.7.0 and reconfiguring the project. I spent hours trying to debug this problem without success!

Where can I find v42 of Chrome?

15. Alexander says:

August 3, 2015

Looks like Super Dev Mode support in IDEA does not work under Windows 10. I’ve tried Edge, IE11 and Chrome. The application starts successfully but do not switches to the breakpoints in IDEA for the client side code. I’m using the latest 14.1.4 version.

16. Konstantin says:

August 12, 2015

Hi guys,

do I have to start super dev mode from within Intellij to be able to debug javascript?
    Can I start super dev mode using Gradle and connect somehow?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

August 13, 2015

Yes, even if you run your app via Gradle, you have to start a Debug Run Configuration in order to debug JavaScript.