IntelliJ IDEA 14 Ships Advanced Coding Assistance for Thymeleaf

If you’re using Thymeleaf (the coolest template engine for Java) in your project or just considering giving it a try, you’ll be excited to know that the latest EAP build of the upcoming IntelliJ IDEA 14 brings rich coding assistance for editing Thymeleaf templates.

The Thymeleaf support is enabled by default and includes Code Completion, Navigate to Declaration, Rename Refactoring, Find Usages, Highlight Usages, Code Analysis, and many other awesome features. Enjoy the demo:

IntelliJ IDEA 14 is still under heavy development, but the release date approaches very fast. That’s why we strongly encourage you to download the EAP build preview and share your feedback with us on our discussion forum or in the issue tracker.

Develop with pleasure, and spread the word!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in New Features and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14 Ships Advanced Coding Assistance for Thymeleaf

1. Samer Mansour says:

Glad I purchased the upgrade option with my license. Talk about timing when I need this feature. We’re just getting into Thymeleaf, this should speed up my development considerably. Can’t wait for 14 to come out.

2. Aaron says:

I have never heard of Thymeleaf before, but it seems like it’s trying to solve a similar problem to Apache Wicket (http://wicket.apache.org/), except Wicket seems to be way more feature-complete.

There’s already a Wicket plugin for Intellij. Maybe you guys can work with the developer of the project to make it better than it currently is?

Aaron

P.S. This is not a knock on Thymeleaf. It’s just worth pointing out another solution in this space that isn’t being openly promoted by you guys.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Aaron, thanks for your feedback. As to the Wicket support, do you mean something specific we can improve? I’d love to know more details.

• Aaron says:

I have been using the Wicket plugin in Intellij for the last 3 or 4 years, over the various iterations of Intellij from 10.X.X -> 13.1.4.

The plugin does it’s job okay (it’s Wicket syntax highlighting in HTML documents and Java code is good). It’s code completion, navigation, and inspections are very very flaky though.

I’m pretty sure there is only one developer of the plugin, so new features rarely (if ever) get added, aside from compatibility with new versions of Intellij.

It would be nice if you guys could do what you did similar to Thymeleaf, and provide Intellij-created support for Wicket into the IDE. I’m sure with your team, it would be much better than the efforts of a lone developer working in his spare time.

I would be more than happy to help with testing, spec-writing, and feature requests. Feel free to e-mail me.

• Zemi says:

Hi Aaron,

Thymeleaf and Wicket, whilst having similar syntaxes for templating, do not belong to the same category of technologies. Wicket is a web framework (like Struts or SpringMvc) but Thymeleaf is a web technology (like JSP, Velocity or Freemarker).

Anyway, the IntelliJ IDEA support for Thymeleaf is impressive.

Regards,
      Zemi

3. Odilon Alves says:

Wow! I was waiting for this feature for a long time =] Thanks for adding support to Thymeleaf.

4. Geo And says:

Looking good! Great job! Works great with some small tutorials from Spring

Is there a GitHub repository where one can find the full code that is shown in this blog post?

Thanks

5. Igor says:

I just installed Idea 14 EAP, and Thymeleaf attributes are not recognized. Thymeleaf plugin is installed, is there anything else that should be configured?
    I ‘m on Ubuntu 14.04

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Can you please file an issue with more details? youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA

• Igor says:

I got it … it works if I add xmlns:th=”http://www.thymeleaf.org” to root html element. I have html code fragmented in several files (header.html, footer.html … and some parts of pages I load via ajax) and some of them do not have one root html tag so I ques I have to add this to all root tags in all files. Is there any “more global ” way to tell Idea that all my html files are using thymeleaf?

6. Ricardo Garza says:

I just installed Idea 14 EAP, and the model attributes are not recognized giving a message like the following:

Cannot Resolve ‘card’.

Its a spring-boot gradle project(while running the project it works correctly), so the file is in src\main\resources\templates\cards\view.html

I suppose is some intellij configuration, is there a way to make this work?

• Breandan Considine says:

Hello Ricardo, have you added a Spring facet to the module? You can check this under File|Project Structure|Modules, try adding a Spring facet to the module and see if it then detects the key. Let me know if this doesn’t work, thanks!

• Ricardo Garza says:

The spring facet was allready there, but I can’t seem to add the other spring facets(MVC,JPA,etc…), It asks me to download, or replace the JAR’s, but won’t show a screen like the one in the regular Spring facet to select a Java file.

• Mint says:

It happened to me as well, Thymeleaf working fine after i ran the program but the IDE just kept saying my domain object “Cannot Resolved” although i added spring facet in the module setting already.

• Aleh says:

Same issue. Did you resolved it?

7. maxwell says:

Why can’t intellij find my layout declaration on “go to”:

layout:decorator=”layout/main”

main.html is under templates/layout.

Using command + click it can’t open the layout file, it says “Cannot find declaration…”