IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP is Available!

Great news, everyone! It’s time to reveal what we’ve been working on since December and what new features the next update will bring to you. Today we’re officially announcing the start of IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP (Early Access Program), which means you can not only see the list of new features, but also give them a try and share your feedback!

The following new features are available in the current EAP build:

Quite a list this is, and more is to come yet! Stay tuned and read our blog for more details on these and other new features.

Download the IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP build right away, and share your feedback with us at the discussion forum and in our issue tracker. We’re eager to know what you think!

Develop with pleasure, and spread the word!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in EAP Releases, New Features and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP is Available!

1. James Sumners says:

Is the new backspace option related to https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-132942 ?

2. Gesly says:

Andrey, Could you provide some info on the new custom 1.8u40 bundled JRE for the MAC? I know you guys have been working with the JDK team to fix MAC specific bugs related to the UI – sub-pixel rendering etc. If you could include info on what is included in this custom JRE, and how it compares to the 1.8u40 snapshot build available at https://jdk8.java.net, that would be very useful.

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

Hi Gesly, The Custom JRE bundled with 14.1 is a fork from OpenJDK 8u40 branch. What’s inside? Support for SubPixel AA which is very close to Apple’s Quartz rendering (work still goes on) + some critical patches from OpenJDK 9 branch – most of them are fixes for native crashes on Mac OS X

• Gesly says:

Konstantin, Thanks for the update. Good that you guys decided to provide a custom build with these patches. I have been considering if I should use JDK9 snapshots or 8u40 with Intellij. This is really helpful.

• Tamas says:

Just wanted to chime in and say “thanks” for the extra work to address Mac UI issues. I know it will be appreciated by a lot of people.

• Tobi says:

Did publish your fork? Can we download this “opimized” JDK 8u40?

• Ahmad says:

Yes, just seconding the thanks in your work fixing these mac specific ui and rendering issues.

3. Rafael T says:

HiDPI support! God bless your souls.

4. Mark T. Kennedy says:

on fedora 21 with jdk v1.8 and a working 14.0.3 EAP with the scala plugin, the new EAP released failed to work correctly. it lost my scala plugin completely, failed to install the scala plugin after losing it, and even seemed to get an older scala plugin to install. very, very confused. i’ve dropped back to the (working) older EAP. is my experience unique?

5. Fred says:

Just tried it!

Is there a way to reduce icon size?

I work on a 3K laptop, and icon are very big!
    Some of them go over the edge (class icon just before tab name in editor).

thx,
    fred

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

Hi Fred, at the moment we don’t provide a way to scale icons, because most of our icons can’t be upscaled/downscaled without dramatic quality loss. You could help us if you report all these issues with attached screenshots to our bugtracker?

6. szh says:

In the editor, Chinese character display is wrong。

7. geemang says:

+Groovy +SpringBoot + Gradle

8. Flavio says:

Is in the roadmap the support for Ember? Thanks!

9. Alain Dresse says:

Hi,

React (.jsx) support is available in WebStorm 9. Is it / when will it be available for Idea ? I see nothing about it in the release notes for 14 or for 14.1 EOP.

Best regards,
    Alain

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Hi Alain,

JSX support is available in IJ 14.0.x, you just need to set JavaScript version to JSX Harmony in Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | JavaScript.

10. Steve says:

but… no PHP, again…

11. Rohit says:

Hi Andrey,

Would you guys also be publishing (Idea+Modified jdk 8) bundle for linux as well ?

Thanks,
    Rohit

12. Alex says:

HiDPI doesn’t seem to work that well on Linux…

On Fedora 21 (Gnome 3.14) I have to adjust all the individual menu and editor fonts, and icons/buttons don’t scale properly

I’m running this in a VM on OS X 10.10 (tried both Parallels 10 and Fusion 7.1.1), both with native Retina resolution passed through to the VM.

Is this supposed to get auto detected?

13. Seppo Taalasmaa says:

Hoes do I turn of high dpi support in Windows? It does not seem to work by default.

14. Robert says:

Hey guys, I bought Intellij version 13, then I upgraded to version 14.0 and after a while my license expired. So now I have to extend my license in order to upgrade to 14.1? I thought license upgrade was meant only for major versions, e.g. 13->14->15 etc…
    Can anyone confirm this?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

This is the new licensing policy introduced a few years ago. We call it upgrade subscription: you don’t buy a license per version, you buy a 1-year subscription for all updates

• Randall Schulz says:

I purchased a license at the end of November 2014 and now it is requiring me to “prolong” it. Don’t I get a full year for the $99 I paid?

15. Curdin says:

Hi

In “Distraction Free Mode”, when you select show line numbers / indent guides / use soft wraps and then switch to a different class the settings are gone (even if you go back to your previous class where you set the settings)

16. Raza says:

Hello,
    Ever since this new update, all of my JavaScript work is inundated with “Unresolved variable”. I am working on AngularJs.

17. Chandra Kant Sharma says:

The latest IDEA 14.1 has unusal fonts for tool bars and project bar.
    It toolbar fonts were fine till 14.03. Now its looks annoying to see inconsistent fonts..

18. Allen says:

CPU Temperature Stay above 90°C on MacBook Pro when Update IntelliJ 14.0 To 14.1 .
    Use Power save mode can be better. It was so sad :(

19. Ofer says:

I’d really like to use the option to show variable values in Debugger in hex. however, I can’t find it! where is it hiding?
    I’m using version CL-141.351.4.