IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP is Available!

Andrey Cheptsov

Great news, everyone! It’s time to reveal what we’ve been working on since December and what new features the next update will bring to you. Today we’re officially announcing the start of IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP (Early Access Program), which means you can not only see the list of new features, but also give them a try and share your feedback!

The following new features are available in the current EAP build:

Quite a list this is, and more is to come yet! Stay tuned and read our blog for more details on these and other new features.

Download the IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP build right away, and share your feedback with us at the discussion forum and in our issue tracker. We’re eager to know what you think!

Develop with pleasure, and spread the word!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

37 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 EAP is Available!

1. James Sumners says:

February 3, 2015

Is the new backspace option related to https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-132942 ?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

February 4, 2015

Correct.

• James Sumners says:

February 4, 2015

Excellent. I look forward to it.

2. Gesly says:

February 3, 2015

Andrey, Could you provide some info on the new custom 1.8u40 bundled JRE for the MAC? I know you guys have been working with the JDK team to fix MAC specific bugs related to the UI – sub-pixel rendering etc. If you could include info on what is included in this custom JRE, and how it compares to the 1.8u40 snapshot build available at https://jdk8.java.net, that would be very useful.

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

February 4, 2015

Hi Gesly, The Custom JRE bundled with 14.1 is a fork from OpenJDK 8u40 branch. What’s inside? Support for SubPixel AA which is very close to Apple’s Quartz rendering (work still goes on) + some critical patches from OpenJDK 9 branch – most of them are fixes for native crashes on Mac OS X

• Gesly says:

February 5, 2015

Konstantin, Thanks for the update. Good that you guys decided to provide a custom build with these patches. I have been considering if I should use JDK9 snapshots or 8u40 with Intellij. This is really helpful.

• Tamas says:

February 10, 2015

Just wanted to chime in and say “thanks” for the extra work to address Mac UI issues. I know it will be appreciated by a lot of people.

• Tobi says:

February 10, 2015

Did publish your fork? Can we download this “opimized” JDK 8u40?

• Ahmad says:

February 10, 2015

Yes, just seconding the thanks in your work fixing these mac specific ui and rendering issues.

3. Rafael T says:

February 3, 2015

HiDPI support! God bless your souls.

4. Mark T. Kennedy says:

February 3, 2015

on fedora 21 with jdk v1.8 and a working 14.0.3 EAP with the scala plugin, the new EAP released failed to work correctly. it lost my scala plugin completely, failed to install the scala plugin after losing it, and even seemed to get an older scala plugin to install. very, very confused. i’ve dropped back to the (working) older EAP. is my experience unique?

• Cyril A. Kaprenko says:

February 4, 2015

Nope. I’m having the same issue.

• Gesly says:

February 4, 2015

Uninstall your Scala plugin and re-install the EAP version. This is how I fixed it.

5. Fred says:

February 3, 2015

Just tried it!

Is there a way to reduce icon size?

I work on a 3K laptop, and icon are very big!
    Some of them go over the edge (class icon just before tab name in editor).

thx,
    fred

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

February 4, 2015

Hi Fred, at the moment we don’t provide a way to scale icons, because most of our icons can’t be upscaled/downscaled without dramatic quality loss. You could help us if you report all these issues with attached screenshots to our bugtracker?

• Fred says:

February 9, 2015

Like Роман Добоні asked in IDEA-117729, where do you want us to report issues for HiDPI?

6. szh says:

February 4, 2015

In the editor, Chinese character display is wrong。

• szh says:

February 4, 2015

I use MacOS。

7. geemang says:

February 10, 2015

+Groovy +SpringBoot + Gradle

8. Flavio says:

February 10, 2015

Is in the roadmap the support for Ember? Thanks!

9. Alain Dresse says:

February 10, 2015

Hi,

React (.jsx) support is available in WebStorm 9. Is it / when will it be available for Idea ? I see nothing about it in the release notes for 14 or for 14.1 EOP.

Best regards,
    Alain

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

February 10, 2015

Hi Alain,

JSX support is available in IJ 14.0.x, you just need to set JavaScript version to JSX Harmony in Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | JavaScript.

10. Steve says:

February 20, 2015

but… no PHP, again…

11. Rohit says:

March 1, 2015

Hi Andrey,

Would you guys also be publishing (Idea+Modified jdk 8) bundle for linux as well ?

Thanks,
    Rohit

12. Alex says:

March 22, 2015

HiDPI doesn’t seem to work that well on Linux…

On Fedora 21 (Gnome 3.14) I have to adjust all the individual menu and editor fonts, and icons/buttons don’t scale properly

I’m running this in a VM on OS X 10.10 (tried both Parallels 10 and Fusion 7.1.1), both with native Retina resolution passed through to the VM.

Is this supposed to get auto detected?

13. Seppo Taalasmaa says:

March 24, 2015

Hoes do I turn of high dpi support in Windows? It does not seem to work by default.

14. Robert says:

March 25, 2015

Hey guys, I bought Intellij version 13, then I upgraded to version 14.0 and after a while my license expired. So now I have to extend my license in order to upgrade to 14.1? I thought license upgrade was meant only for major versions, e.g. 13->14->15 etc…
    Can anyone confirm this?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

April 1, 2015

This is the new licensing policy introduced a few years ago. We call it upgrade subscription: you don’t buy a license per version, you buy a 1-year subscription for all updates

• Randall Schulz says:

May 14, 2015

I purchased a license at the end of November 2014 and now it is requiring me to “prolong” it. Don’t I get a full year for the $99 I paid?

• Randall Schulz says:

May 14, 2015

Sorry… Cockpit error. The license is indeed still valid.

15. Curdin says:

March 26, 2015

Hi

In “Distraction Free Mode”, when you select show line numbers / indent guides / use soft wraps and then switch to a different class the settings are gone (even if you go back to your previous class where you set the settings)

16. Raza says:

March 27, 2015

Hello,
    Ever since this new update, all of my JavaScript work is inundated with “Unresolved variable”. I am working on AngularJs.

17. Chandra Kant Sharma says:

March 28, 2015

The latest IDEA 14.1 has unusal fonts for tool bars and project bar.
    It toolbar fonts were fine till 14.03. Now its looks annoying to see inconsistent fonts..

18. Allen says:

March 30, 2015

CPU Temperature Stay above 90°C on MacBook Pro when Update IntelliJ 14.0 To 14.1 .
    Use Power save mode can be better. It was so sad 🙁

19. Ofer says:

April 7, 2015

I’d really like to use the option to show variable values in Debugger in hex. however, I can’t find it! where is it hiding?
    I’m using version CL-141.351.4.

• Ofer says: