IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2 is Here: Smart, Sleek, and Snappy

Great news, everyone!

2017.2, a new massive update for IntelliJ IDEA, is out and it’s packed full of new features and important bugfixes. Get a copy of this new release, and see for yourself, but before you do, it is worth spending a couple of minutes reading this summary for ideas on where to look.

• Smarter code completion and control flow analysis
    • Smart Completion becomes aware of builder classes and suggests chains of method calls on its first call, and the chain suggestions are sorted according to how frequently symbols are used in the current project.
    • Control flow analysis has become much smarter and detects a wider array of problems, especially when booleans, strings, arrays, lists, and maps are involved; it also checks nullability issues when corresponding annotations are used on type parameters for collections and maps.
  • New inspections and refactorings
    • Inspections and quick-fixes: Replace with Set.of and Add Thread#onSpinWait() (both require Java 9), and Extract set from comparison chain.
    • Refactorings: Extract as Map Operation (for streams), Extract Functional Variable, and Extract Lambda to Method Reference
  • Java 9 module diagrams Learn more
  • Debugger: filtering arrays, collections, and maps
  • Spring Boot actuator endpoints
    • The Run tool window now provides the actuator endpoint information, like BeansHealth, and Mappings.
  • Kotlin 1.1.3 support
    • The editor can now display Parameter hints (introduced earlier for Java), along with Type hints, that is inferred type where it’s not explicitly set.
  • Groovy 2.5.0 support
  • VCS: reverting and rewording commits, formatting commit messages
  • User interface
    • Windows 10 native look and feel
    • Better HiDPI support for multiple display setup on Windows
    • Automatic font settings adjustment to match display resolution
  • JavaScript and TypeScript improvements
    • Editor: Parameter hints and Type info
    • Formatting: Rearrange Code
    • Refactorings: Move (across ES6 modules)
    • Frameworks: better support for React and AngularJS
    • CSS Modules support
    • Better Webpack support
    • Code coverage for Mocha
  • Performance
    • Arbitrary modules can now be marked as Unloaded to conserve CPU and memory resources when working on large projects.
    • You can suspend indexing and resume it at your convenience, for example, to save battery power.

For more details about the new and improved features (only the most notable of which are mentioned here), check out the release What’s New page.

Your feedback, as always, is very much appreciated in our issue tracker.

JetBrains recommends: to stay up-to-date with the latest releases, and, when needed, be able to safely switch between several IDE versions, install our
Toolbox App.

Your JetBrains Team

The Drive to Develop

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in New Features, Releases and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2 is Here: Smart, Sleek, and Snappy

1. da_berni says:

Hi people,

“Better HiDPI support for multiple display setup on Windows” doesn’t quite work for me. It worked way better before.

On my main display IntelliJ looks really fine on a resolution of 3200×1800 on 15″ (200% scaling) but on the external monitor with 4k on 27″ (175% scaling) looks way to small. actually it’s not readable at all…

would be nice if you could fix this again :)

• Jakub Wach says:

I was wandering what “do not support factorial” means in this context.
      Apparently 150% or 175% is factorial (as 1.5 and 1.75 respectively).
      Set to 200% it renders better in 2017.2.

But honestly, from both 2017.2 (looks better but only with N * 100% scaling) vs 2017.1 is functional and presents the expected amount of information in 150% (for me) scaling.
      I highly prefer 2017.1.

Is there a switch I can use to get this rendering/scaling back to old behavior?

• Anton Tarasov says:

The fact is that “the better HiDPI support” is currently limited to integral scale displays only, which is not your case. IDEA should have auto-switched to the previous HiDPI mode on start, but it unfortunately didn’t work for you. The problem should be fixed in the upcoming update: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-173258

Until it’s fixed, please reset the HiDPI mode manually by providing the VM option (Help > Edit Custom VM Options):

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale.enabled=false

Then restart. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Mark Jeronimus says:

This works perfectly! It looks exactly like 2017.1 and I’m never going to turn this flag off again. Well almost. I hate the “Window 10 native UI”. Any way to revert to the old UI with blue rounded elements?

• Steve says:

I like you Anton.

2. w says:

Congratulations on the release!

However, after the upgrade IDEA is terribly sluggish – everything is delayed, opening Navigate to class (cmd+O) results in showing the dialog after 1s and then additional 2s when the input field get’s the focus for example….

• Andrey Cheptsov says:
    • A new dev says:

When you update the IDE, it’ll reindex everything, so check the indexing status at the bottom left of the window, that’s probably why you had this

• Nikita says:

Same here. Everything super slow, impossible to work, have to revert to 2017.1. As usual, we get punished for downloading a new “stable” version that we’re paying for. IntelliJ Ultimate feels more like EAP recently. Very disappointing.

• Richard says:

I upgraded to 2017.1 from v14. I’ve had nothing but problems now. I’m on a MBP 2014 model – 16GB RAM. In particular,

– VERY sluggish – I get the spinning wheel of death almost every 2 seconds and it causes IDEA to stop every 2 seconds for about 1 second.
      – Incorrectly reported warnings, e.g. warning about empty if conditions, when it’s not true, warning about spelling errors because it identified the error prior to completing the word but when finished typing it doesn’t clear the warning. There may be others, but problem 1 above prevents me from working effectively with the product.

Anyone know if 2016 had these problems? If not, I may ask for my license to be back-ported.

• Vesa M says:

Upgraded from 2017.2 to 2017.2.1. The editor in itself is so sluggy, it makes the IDE unusable. Running IntelliJ Ultimate on MBP 2016 with 16GB. Downgraded to 2017.1.

• Michiel says:

I concur, it’s horrible. Sluggishness was a problem always, but with 2017.2.1 it’s undoable, I will try to downgrade too.

3. Jerry Chin says:

Windows 10 look and feel, okay I’m sold.

• Alex M says:

Honestly, I’d like that enabled only on the “Windows” theme. This comes up also on the IntelliJ theme and I was reasonably happy with the old theme.

4. Will says:

I wish there was a way to install Idea so it keeps on updating, but the paths etc remain the same. Something like a rolling stable release, instead a version number. The quarterly releases are great, but having to constantly fix all my publishs and shortcuts is annoying.

Spotify for example keeps on updating, I have no idea what version it is on, and I don’t have to know.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

After you’ve updated the IDE asks you to automatically import all your settings from the previous version. Does it solve your issue?
      In the future we think to import all settings automatically without asking.

• Tyler Sommer says:

My biggest annoyance is having to recreate the command-line launcher. Second is having to remove the old version’s Dock icon and pin the new version’s.

Minor inconveniences, however. Thanks for such an excellent suite of tools!

• Will says:

I wish the installer defaulted to the installation directory of the previous version. What is the customer-visible upside of having to update all my shortcuts, batch files, etc?

• Will says:

Apparently I am an idiot, and this is the first major release that does just that. Thanks for using your time machine to fix my biggest complaint!

• A new dev says:

you can set even setup git repo for intellij configs, that’s what i did, and it is awesome, i don’t remenber the exact name of that feature, i think it is something like “Settings Repository”

• SasukeKawaii says:

Jetbrains Toolbox solves that quite well too.

• Paul says:

If you use jetbrain toolbox application, you shouldn’t have to worry about this kind of problems anymore.

5. Michal says:

Hi.
    After update – remote debugging is significantly slower. Almost every operation take additional ~~1+ s. I’m trying now install idea from scratch. I will post the result.

6. Rodrigo Monteiro says:

Hi

I updated my IJ hours ago, and now I can’t access the Preferences screen (COMMAND + ,).

just happen to me??

7. an idea ultimate user says:

Why doesn’t code/smart completion offer method completion with variables yet?

example

private boolean hasNoDetailUrl(Document station) {
    st -> code completion should offer sth(station) but it just offers sth without the variable
    }

private boolean sth(Document station) {
    return true;
    }

i think this would be great feature

8. Foo says:

Any plans to implement the Language Server Protocol?

9. Chin says:

So is staging in Git supported yet?

10. Vachagan says:

After update i see a navigation bar (sort of) but in the actual text editor bottom side… it shows up in java code showing where i am in class structure… how do i get rid of it?

11. Alexander Premer says:

None of the Jars for my maven-project are downloading and I have tried “Reimport All Maven Projects”, “clean-install” etc. Everything is just red in my files because IntelliJ cant find any of my dependencies.. Does anyone have any tips? This was fine with the latest 2017.1 Release but now with the new release nothing works

12. Alexander Premer says:

After updating IntelliJ it won’t download the dependencies from the pom file in my maven project.

I Have tried to:
    – “Invalidate caches/Restart…”
    – “Download sources and documentation”
    – “Reimport all maven projects”
    – “Clean + Install” / “Validate”
    – Importing the project again
    – Restarting IntelliJ

The funny part is that when i hit CMD+”a dependency” in my pom.xml it goes straight to the pom file of that dependency so it’s obvious that IntelliJ knows about the dependency? However all that is in my “External libraries” are JDK 1.7 and Scala-sdk-2.11.8

Do you have any suggestions to how I can fix my problem?

• Vladislav says:

Please, set debug logging for the maven subsystem and file an issue at https://youtrack.jetbrains.com with log files attached according to the following steps:
      – backup(if needed) and clear log directory
      – set Output level to DEBUG at File | Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | Build Tools | Maven page
      Go to Help > Debug Log Settings…
      Add there lines:
      #org.jetbrains.idea.maven
      #com.intellij.execution.rmi.RemoteProcessSupport
      – Run File > Invalidate Caches…
      – Restart IntelliJ
      – Wait for the indexing finish
      – Hit ‘Reimport’ button on the Maven tool window
      – Zip and attach the whole log directory

13. Simon Rieu says:

After updating IntelliJ, fonts are ugly (default fonts), rendering is somewhat messed up
    This bug is not new to me, when updating to 2017.1 I had the same issue and you fixed it with a patch.

OS : Ubuntu 17.04 (64)

14. I am facing a weird issue with Kotlin projects. I am using kapt to generate an index file for pf4j extensions. Earlier, the file used to generate there in “build” folder and the run configuration used to find that file in the classpath.

Now after the update, I can see a “out” folder is getting generated, the index file is not there in the out folder. And when I run the application, it is only taking the “out” directory in the classpath, not the “build” directory. So pf4j is not able to find the index file and application is failing.

• UPDATE: I had to enable the below option to make it work:

Settings > Build, Execution, Deployment > Build Tools > Gradle > Runner, then
      tick Delegate IDE build/run actions to gradle

• UPDATE: On another installation with the same setup, same project, I am getting below error.

Error running ‘myproject [Gradle build]’: Argument for @NotNull parameter ‘module’ of com/intellij/psi/search/GlobalSearchScope.moduleRuntimeScope must not be null

15. dev says:

Since upgrading yesterday I can no longer build to Android devices on my Adobe AIR mobile app.

The following error message is shown.
    “cert.p12: Failed to load a certificate”

I have tried using the same certificate on a different machine running the previous version and it is fine.
    Password is 100% correct.

Is there a way I can revert quickly to the previous version until this is sorted ?

16. Jose Vieira says:

Everything is very slow because the IDE is just using 725M of heap. It does not think to use the setting in idea.vmoptions -Xmx anymore. Is that any workaround?

• Jose Vieira says:

Editing the idea.vmoptions file and restarting the IDE fixed this. It now launches IDEA with the correct heap size.

17. Tomasz Szymański says:

How can I navigate to table in Database tab from Database Console in IDEA 2017.2?
    In previous version ctrl + click was taking me to Database tab so I can inspect all properties (foreign keys, indexes, etc). Now when ctrl + click on table name, new window is opened with auto-generated script (create table).
    Is there any way to have old behavior? None of Go to -> …. options works like Ctrl + click from last version

18. Johny Bravo says:

Spring Health, and Mappings don’t work for me. I always get:

Failed to retrieve ‘health’ endpoint data:
    org.springframework.boot:type=Endpoint,name=healthEndpoint,*

Failed to retrieve ‘mappings’ endpoint data:
    org.springframework.boot:type=Endpoint,name=requestMappingEndpoint,*

19. Daniel Pittman says:

After updating on macOS Sierra 10.12.5 I am no longer able to pinch the trackpad to zoom in the editor, nor am I able to drag and drop tool windows within the IDE. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Thanks!

20. Zach A says:

It’s such a small thing, but I really like the Windows 10 look and feel — noticed it right away and I hope it stays for a while! I’d also like to say thank you for not breaking all of our plugins with updates – as a dev I know that breaking third-party apps can be the easy way out sometimes, and I know it probably requires a lot of additional testing to maintain support for all the plugins that are out there now. Thank you and keep it up!

21. mlpn says:

The IDE is a pain to work with after the upgrade :
    – slow (ex: reporting missing “;” for at least 30 seconds after “;” was added)
    – before 2017.2 i was using ctrl+enter (OS X key mappings) to get the “new” context menu which was very useful for test classes to generate setUp method and test method..well that does not work anymore

22. Aaaa says:

Why visibility modifiers on java classes in project tree disappeared?

23. Ron says:

When will the “Find in path” file mask dropdown come back? It drives me nuts every time I search.

• Vassiliy Kudryashov says:

Now this is a field with autocompletion (Ctrl+Space to see completion popup). Also popup would be shown every time when the field obtains focus. Note that completion results depend on caret position.
      An example: for “*.{caret is here}java” you can get the variant “*.xml” in the popup list, but for “*.j{caret is here}ava” you may see “*.js”, “*.java” and “*.jsp” but not “*.xml”

• Ron says:

It works really bad as it is today. I really really really miss the dropdown with the latest masks used. PLEASE PLEASE get is back. Today it requires so many keystrokes and mouse clicks it drives me totally nuts.

• Ron says:

Using the keyboard you have to press alt-a twice to get a dropdown and then the keyboard still down’t work and you have to switch to mouse.

Using the mouse you also have to click the mask checkbox twice to see a dropdown.

For both you don’t see last used filemasks!!

• Ron says:

You can click on the filemask with the mouse, then press ctrl-space to see dropdown. Then you have to go back to mouse (as keyboard doesn’t work) and you can select something in dropdown, but it doesn’t show last used masks!!!

24. Florian H says:

Somehow the Git Branch panel in the status bar (on the right between the charset and memory panel) vanished and I have no idea how to get it back.
    Anyone has any suggestions?

Right now to switch branches I have to use the context menu and dig through the various sub menus…

25. Stanislav Devyatovskiy says:

I experience a lot of weird bugs after upgrading to 2017.2, running on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. Some commands stopped working in newly created files (e.g. Navigate -> Select In…, Code -> Generate…), but they still work for older files. Also new Idea does not track the changes made in the code, keeps highlighting the errors which have already been fixed. Some of the highlighing goes away after rebuilding the project, but some still stays.
    Zoom pitching on trackpad doesn’t work.

At the moment it’s entirely unusable, have to revert to the previous version.

26. Love says:

I’m surprised you added a new build output directory out/ without any warning, took me a few hours to find out that is actually was intentional. Now I need to update .gitinore in several projects.

Seems I’m not the only one who found this disappointing: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-175172

27. Robert says:

I upgraded to 2017.2. When I use “Find in path” tool (Cmd+Shift+F), I can’t enter some polish letters like ‘ś’ (Alt + s), ‘ą’ (Alt + a) in search field. This version has added shortcuts that mark options “custom scope” and “file mask” respectively.

• Vassiliy Kudryashov says:

Please try “Preferences > Appearance & Behavior > Appearance > Disable mnenonics in controls” to enter special letters with Alt.

28. drecough says:

Where are vmoptions for RubyMine 2017.2?

Thanks!