IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2 is Here: Smart, Sleek, and Snappy

Andrey Cheptsov

Great news, everyone!

2017.2, a new massive update for IntelliJ IDEA, is out and it’s packed full of new features and important bugfixes. Get a copy of this new release, and see for yourself, but before you do, it is worth spending a couple of minutes reading this summary for ideas on where to look.

• Smarter code completion and control flow analysis
    • Smart Completion becomes aware of builder classes and suggests chains of method calls on its first call, and the chain suggestions are sorted according to how frequently symbols are used in the current project.
    • Control flow analysis has become much smarter and detects a wider array of problems, especially when booleans, strings, arrays, lists, and maps are involved; it also checks nullability issues when corresponding annotations are used on type parameters for collections and maps.
  • New inspections and refactorings
    • Inspections and quick-fixes: Replace with Set.of and Add Thread#onSpinWait() (both require Java 9), and Extract set from comparison chain.
    • Refactorings: Extract as Map Operation (for streams), Extract Functional Variable, and Extract Lambda to Method Reference
  • Java 9 module diagrams Learn more
  • Debugger: filtering arrays, collections, and maps
  • Spring Boot actuator endpoints
    • The Run tool window now provides the actuator endpoint information, like BeansHealth, and Mappings.
  • Kotlin 1.1.3 support
    • The editor can now display Parameter hints (introduced earlier for Java), along with Type hints, that is inferred type where it’s not explicitly set.
  • Groovy 2.5.0 support
  • VCS: reverting and rewording commits, formatting commit messages
  • User interface
    • Windows 10 native look and feel
    • Better HiDPI support for multiple display setup on Windows
    • Automatic font settings adjustment to match display resolution
  • JavaScript and TypeScript improvements
    • Editor: Parameter hints and Type info
    • Formatting: Rearrange Code
    • Refactorings: Move (across ES6 modules)
    • Frameworks: better support for React and AngularJS
    • CSS Modules support
    • Better Webpack support
    • Code coverage for Mocha
  • Performance
    • Arbitrary modules can now be marked as Unloaded to conserve CPU and memory resources when working on large projects.
    • You can suspend indexing and resume it at your convenience, for example, to save battery power.

For more details about the new and improved features (only the most notable of which are mentioned here), check out the release What’s New page.

Your feedback, as always, is very much appreciated in our issue tracker.

JetBrains recommends: to stay up-to-date with the latest releases, and, when needed, be able to safely switch between several IDE versions, install our
Toolbox App.

Your JetBrains Team

The Drive to Develop

Comments below can no longer be edited.

90 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2 is Here: Smart, Sleek, and Snappy

1. da_berni says:

Hi people,

“Better HiDPI support for multiple display setup on Windows” doesn’t quite work for me. It worked way better before.

On my main display IntelliJ looks really fine on a resolution of 3200×1800 on 15″ (200% scaling) but on the external monitor with 4k on 27″ (175% scaling) looks way to small. actually it’s not readable at all…

would be nice if you could fix this again 🙂

• Jakub Wach says:

July 18, 2017

I was wandering what “do not support factorial” means in this context.
      Apparently 150% or 175% is factorial (as 1.5 and 1.75 respectively).
      Set to 200% it renders better in 2017.2.

But honestly, from both 2017.2 (looks better but only with N * 100% scaling) vs 2017.1 is functional and presents the expected amount of information in 150% (for me) scaling.
      I highly prefer 2017.1.

Is there a switch I can use to get this rendering/scaling back to old behavior?

• Anton Tarasov says:

July 18, 2017

The fact is that “the better HiDPI support” is currently limited to integral scale displays only, which is not your case. IDEA should have auto-switched to the previous HiDPI mode on start, but it unfortunately didn’t work for you. The problem should be fixed in the upcoming update: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-173258

Until it’s fixed, please reset the HiDPI mode manually by providing the VM option (Help > Edit Custom VM Options):

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale.enabled=false

Then restart. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Mark Jeronimus says:

July 20, 2017

This works perfectly! It looks exactly like 2017.1 and I’m never going to turn this flag off again. Well almost. I hate the “Window 10 native UI”. Any way to revert to the old UI with blue rounded elements?

• Steve says:

July 31, 2017

I like you Anton.

2. w says:

July 18, 2017

Congratulations on the release!

However, after the upgrade IDEA is terribly sluggish – everything is delayed, opening Navigate to class (cmd+O) results in showing the dialog after 1s and then additional 2s when the input field get’s the focus for example….

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 18, 2017

Could you please report the problem using these instructions: https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/207241235-Reporting-performance-problems

• A new dev says:

July 18, 2017

When you update the IDE, it’ll reindex everything, so check the indexing status at the bottom left of the window, that’s probably why you had this

• Nikita says:

July 18, 2017

Same here. Everything super slow, impossible to work, have to revert to 2017.1. As usual, we get punished for downloading a new “stable” version that we’re paying for. IntelliJ Ultimate feels more like EAP recently. Very disappointing.

• Richard says:

July 30, 2017

I upgraded to 2017.1 from v14. I’ve had nothing but problems now. I’m on a MBP 2014 model – 16GB RAM. In particular,

– VERY sluggish – I get the spinning wheel of death almost every 2 seconds and it causes IDEA to stop every 2 seconds for about 1 second.
      – Incorrectly reported warnings, e.g. warning about empty if conditions, when it’s not true, warning about spelling errors because it identified the error prior to completing the word but when finished typing it doesn’t clear the warning. There may be others, but problem 1 above prevents me from working effectively with the product.

Anyone know if 2016 had these problems? If not, I may ask for my license to be back-ported.

• Vesa M says:

August 7, 2017

Upgraded from 2017.2 to 2017.2.1. The editor in itself is so sluggy, it makes the IDE unusable. Running IntelliJ Ultimate on MBP 2016 with 16GB. Downgraded to 2017.1.

• Michiel says:

August 15, 2017

I concur, it’s horrible. Sluggishness was a problem always, but with 2017.2.1 it’s undoable, I will try to downgrade too.

3. Jerry Chin says:

July 18, 2017

Windows 10 look and feel, okay I’m sold.

• Alex M says:

July 21, 2017

Honestly, I’d like that enabled only on the “Windows” theme. This comes up also on the IntelliJ theme and I was reasonably happy with the old theme.

4. Will says:

July 18, 2017

I wish there was a way to install Idea so it keeps on updating, but the paths etc remain the same. Something like a rolling stable release, instead a version number. The quarterly releases are great, but having to constantly fix all my publishs and shortcuts is annoying.

Spotify for example keeps on updating, I have no idea what version it is on, and I don’t have to know.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 18, 2017

After you’ve updated the IDE asks you to automatically import all your settings from the previous version. Does it solve your issue?
      In the future we think to import all settings automatically without asking.

• Tyler Sommer says:

July 18, 2017

My biggest annoyance is having to recreate the command-line launcher. Second is having to remove the old version’s Dock icon and pin the new version’s.

Minor inconveniences, however. Thanks for such an excellent suite of tools!

• Will says:

July 19, 2017

I wish the installer defaulted to the installation directory of the previous version. What is the customer-visible upside of having to update all my shortcuts, batch files, etc?

• Will says:

July 19, 2017

Apparently I am an idiot, and this is the first major release that does just that. Thanks for using your time machine to fix my biggest complaint!

• A new dev says:

July 18, 2017

you can set even setup git repo for intellij configs, that’s what i did, and it is awesome, i don’t remenber the exact name of that feature, i think it is something like “Settings Repository”

• SasukeKawaii says:

July 18, 2017

Jetbrains Toolbox solves that quite well too.

• Paul says:

July 19, 2017

If you use jetbrain toolbox application, you shouldn’t have to worry about this kind of problems anymore.

5. Michal says:

Hi.
    After update – remote debugging is significantly slower. Almost every operation take additional ~~1+ s. I’m trying now install idea from scratch. I will post the result.

• Michal says:

July 18, 2017

After reinstallation of IntelliJ everything works fine.
      Regards

6. Rodrigo Monteiro says:

Hi

I updated my IJ hours ago, and now I can’t access the Preferences screen (COMMAND + ,).

just happen to me??

7. an idea ultimate user says:

July 18, 2017

Why doesn’t code/smart completion offer method completion with variables yet?

example

private boolean hasNoDetailUrl(Document station) {
    st -> code completion should offer sth(station) but it just offers sth without the variable
    }

private boolean sth(Document station) {
    return true;
    }

i think this would be great feature

8. Foo says:

July 18, 2017

Any plans to implement the Language Server Protocol?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 19, 2017

Not in the nearest plans.

9. Chin says:

July 19, 2017

So is staging in Git supported yet?

10. Vachagan says:

July 19, 2017

After update i see a navigation bar (sort of) but in the actual text editor bottom side… it shows up in java code showing where i am in class structure… how do i get rid of it?

• Dmitrij Drandarov says:

Right-Click -> Breadcrumbs -> Don’t Show / Top

11. Alexander Premer says:

July 19, 2017

None of the Jars for my maven-project are downloading and I have tried “Reimport All Maven Projects”, “clean-install” etc. Everything is just red in my files because IntelliJ cant find any of my dependencies.. Does anyone have any tips? This was fine with the latest 2017.1 Release but now with the new release nothing works

• Raymond says:

August 31, 2018

Try swith to maven2 and do the import, then switch back to maven3

12. Alexander Premer says:

July 19, 2017

After updating IntelliJ it won’t download the dependencies from the pom file in my maven project.

I Have tried to:
    – “Invalidate caches/Restart…”
    – “Download sources and documentation”
    – “Reimport all maven projects”
    – “Clean + Install” / “Validate”
    – Importing the project again
    – Restarting IntelliJ

The funny part is that when i hit CMD+”a dependency” in my pom.xml it goes straight to the pom file of that dependency so it’s obvious that IntelliJ knows about the dependency? However all that is in my “External libraries” are JDK 1.7 and Scala-sdk-2.11.8

Do you have any suggestions to how I can fix my problem?

• Vladislav says:

July 19, 2017

Please, set debug logging for the maven subsystem and file an issue at https://youtrack.jetbrains.com with log files attached according to the following steps:
      – backup(if needed) and clear log directory
      – set Output level to DEBUG at File | Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | Build Tools | Maven page
      Go to Help > Debug Log Settings…
      Add there lines:
      #org.jetbrains.idea.maven
      #com.intellij.execution.rmi.RemoteProcessSupport
      – Run File > Invalidate Caches…
      – Restart IntelliJ
      – Wait for the indexing finish
      – Hit ‘Reimport’ button on the Maven tool window
      – Zip and attach the whole log directory

13. Simon Rieu says:

July 19, 2017

After updating IntelliJ, fonts are ugly (default fonts), rendering is somewhat messed up
    This bug is not new to me, when updating to 2017.1 I had the same issue and you fixed it with a patch.

OS : Ubuntu 17.04 (64)

14. Anindya Chatterjee says:

July 19, 2017

I am facing a weird issue with Kotlin projects. I am using kapt to generate an index file for pf4j extensions. Earlier, the file used to generate there in “build” folder and the run configuration used to find that file in the classpath.

Now after the update, I can see a “out” folder is getting generated, the index file is not there in the out folder. And when I run the application, it is only taking the “out” directory in the classpath, not the “build” directory. So pf4j is not able to find the index file and application is failing.

• Anindya Chatterjee says:

July 19, 2017

UPDATE: I had to enable the below option to make it work:

Settings > Build, Execution, Deployment > Build Tools > Gradle > Runner, then
      tick Delegate IDE build/run actions to gradle

• Anindya Chatterjee says:

July 19, 2017

UPDATE: On another installation with the same setup, same project, I am getting below error.

Error running ‘myproject [Gradle build]’: Argument for @NotNull parameter ‘module’ of com/intellij/psi/search/GlobalSearchScope.moduleRuntimeScope must not be null

• Sylvain says:

July 24, 2017

Same problem with every gradle multi-module projects
          … sad

• Sylvain says:

July 24, 2017

Same projet (same directory) works fine with the old version 2017.1.5

• Stefan says:

September 1, 2017

Observed the same issue with 2017.2.3. Starting with 2017.2 this is now the 3rd time that I upgraded and had to roll back to 2017.1.5. This is really annoying.

• Anindya Chatterjee says:

July 29, 2017

After lot of fighting I had to move back to 2017.1, which is working flawlessly. This update looks like a half baked EAP. It’s very surprising to see that a Jetbrains released product is so buggy.

• Brian says:

October 24, 2017

Agreed, this version is really bad. Crashes all the time, false positives in a lot of the suggestions (like duplicated code warnings)

• Ionut Gradinaru says:

November 16, 2017

I am getting the same error…

15. dev says:

July 19, 2017

Since upgrading yesterday I can no longer build to Android devices on my Adobe AIR mobile app.

The following error message is shown.
    “cert.p12: Failed to load a certificate”

I have tried using the same certificate on a different machine running the previous version and it is fine.
    Password is 100% correct.

Is there a way I can revert quickly to the previous version until this is sorted ?

16. Jose Vieira says:

July 20, 2017

Everything is very slow because the IDE is just using 725M of heap. It does not think to use the setting in idea.vmoptions -Xmx anymore. Is that any workaround?

• Jose Vieira says:

July 20, 2017

Editing the idea.vmoptions file and restarting the IDE fixed this. It now launches IDEA with the correct heap size.

17. Tomasz Szymański says:

July 20, 2017

How can I navigate to table in Database tab from Database Console in IDEA 2017.2?
    In previous version ctrl + click was taking me to Database tab so I can inspect all properties (foreign keys, indexes, etc). Now when ctrl + click on table name, new window is opened with auto-generated script (create table).
    Is there any way to have old behavior? None of Go to -> …. options works like Ctrl + click from last version

18. Johny Bravo says:

July 20, 2017

Spring Health, and Mappings don’t work for me. I always get:

Failed to retrieve ‘health’ endpoint data:
    org.springframework.boot:type=Endpoint,name=healthEndpoint,*

Failed to retrieve ‘mappings’ endpoint data:
    org.springframework.boot:type=Endpoint,name=requestMappingEndpoint,*

• Konstantin Aleev says:

July 20, 2017

Could you please report the problem with more details information about your project at https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA?

• kaleev says:

July 21, 2017

Could you please report the problem with more details description of your project to https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA?

• Johny Bravo says:

July 28, 2017

I’ve found the reported issue about this problem. I found there that it uses JMX which I had disabled in spring boot configuration (jmx.enabled=false). So it’s working now.

19. Daniel Pittman says:

July 20, 2017

After updating on macOS Sierra 10.12.5 I am no longer able to pinch the trackpad to zoom in the editor, nor am I able to drag and drop tool windows within the IDE. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Thanks!

• Stanislav Devyatovskiy says:

July 27, 2017

Yes, I have the same problem, macOS Sierra 10.12.6 + IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2 Build #IU-172.3317.76

• Hiram MADELAINE says:

July 27, 2017

I have the same issue, this is very annoying, I will try to downgrade.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 28, 2017

We tried to reproduce it but failed. If possible, could you please log it into our issue tracker with the steps to reproduce? https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA

• Basil Bourque says:

July 31, 2017

Me too: no pinch-to-zoom on trackpad, and no dragging of panes within IDE window.

Using macOS Sierra 10.12.5, Java 8 Update 144, IntelliJ Ultimate 2017.2.

• Taylor Lea says:

August 10, 2017

Same problem. El Capitan and the 2017 update broke pich-to-zoom, which I used all the time.

20. Zach A says:

July 20, 2017

It’s such a small thing, but I really like the Windows 10 look and feel — noticed it right away and I hope it stays for a while! I’d also like to say thank you for not breaking all of our plugins with updates – as a dev I know that breaking third-party apps can be the easy way out sometimes, and I know it probably requires a lot of additional testing to maintain support for all the plugins that are out there now. Thank you and keep it up!

21. mlpn says:

July 21, 2017

The IDE is a pain to work with after the upgrade :
    – slow (ex: reporting missing “;” for at least 30 seconds after “;” was added)
    – before 2017.2 i was using ctrl+enter (OS X key mappings) to get the “new” context menu which was very useful for test classes to generate setUp method and test method..well that does not work anymore

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 26, 2017

As to the performance issue, we would appreciate if you share a thread dump / CPU snapshot according to these instructions: https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/207241235-Reporting-performance-problems

• Illia Kovalov says:

August 25, 2017

I have similar issue and I can’t start cpu profiler.

My config is
        -Xms128m
        -Xmx750m
        -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=240m
        -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
        -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=50
        -ea
        -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false
        -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
        -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
        -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow
        -agentlib:yjpagent64=delay=10000,probe_disable=*

22. Aaaa says:

July 21, 2017

Why visibility modifiers on java classes in project tree disappeared?

23. Ron says:

July 26, 2017

When will the “Find in path” file mask dropdown come back? It drives me nuts every time I search.

• Vassiliy Kudryashov says:

July 27, 2017

Now this is a field with autocompletion (Ctrl+Space to see completion popup). Also popup would be shown every time when the field obtains focus. Note that completion results depend on caret position.
      An example: for “*.{caret is here}java” you can get the variant “*.xml” in the popup list, but for “*.j{caret is here}ava” you may see “*.js”, “*.java” and “*.jsp” but not “*.xml”

• Ron says:

July 31, 2017

It works really bad as it is today. I really really really miss the dropdown with the latest masks used. PLEASE PLEASE get is back. Today it requires so many keystrokes and mouse clicks it drives me totally nuts.

• Ron says:

July 31, 2017

Using the keyboard you have to press alt-a twice to get a dropdown and then the keyboard still down’t work and you have to switch to mouse.

Using the mouse you also have to click the mask checkbox twice to see a dropdown.

For both you don’t see last used filemasks!!

• Ron says:

July 31, 2017

You can click on the filemask with the mouse, then press ctrl-space to see dropdown. Then you have to go back to mouse (as keyboard doesn’t work) and you can select something in dropdown, but it doesn’t show last used masks!!!

24. Florian H says:

July 27, 2017

Somehow the Git Branch panel in the status bar (on the right between the charset and memory panel) vanished and I have no idea how to get it back.
    Anyone has any suggestions?

Right now to switch branches I have to use the context menu and dig through the various sub menus…

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 27, 2017

Could you please share a screenshot?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

July 27, 2017

Thanks for reporting, please follow this issue for the progress: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-176199 (Git Branches missing from status bar after 2017.2 upgrade)

25. Stanislav Devyatovskiy says:

July 27, 2017

I experience a lot of weird bugs after upgrading to 2017.2, running on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. Some commands stopped working in newly created files (e.g. Navigate -> Select In…, Code -> Generate…), but they still work for older files. Also new Idea does not track the changes made in the code, keeps highlighting the errors which have already been fixed. Some of the highlighing goes away after rebuilding the project, but some still stays.
    Zoom pitching on trackpad doesn’t work.

At the moment it’s entirely unusable, have to revert to the previous version.

26. Love says:

July 31, 2017

I’m surprised you added a new build output directory out/ without any warning, took me a few hours to find out that is actually was intentional. Now I need to update .gitinore in several projects.

Seems I’m not the only one who found this disappointing: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-175172

27. Robert says:

August 3, 2017

I upgraded to 2017.2. When I use “Find in path” tool (Cmd+Shift+F), I can’t enter some polish letters like ‘ś’ (Alt + s), ‘ą’ (Alt + a) in search field. This version has added shortcuts that mark options “custom scope” and “file mask” respectively.

• Vassiliy Kudryashov says:

August 16, 2017

Please try “Preferences > Appearance & Behavior > Appearance > Disable mnenonics in controls” to enter special letters with Alt.

28. drecough says:

September 21, 2017

Where are vmoptions for RubyMine 2017.2?

Thanks!

29. Paweł Osiak says:

April 13, 2018

Meanwhile, the version number has increased to 2017.2.7 but nothing seem to have changed – bugs everywhere, bugs which make working with IntelliJ a pain in the neck.

Seriously, why would you even bother with “fixing bugs”? Just roll-back all the mess someone has introduced into 2017.2.

30. IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2 Released, How to Install in Ubuntu | UbuntuHandbook says:

September 6, 2018