Install IntelliJ IDEA on Ubuntu with Snaps

Posted on by Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

Exciting news for Ubuntu users: you can now use snaps to install IntelliJ IDEA EAP builds, including both community and ultimate editions.

Snaps will update your app automatically, and you’ll always have a fresh IntelliJ IDEA build right out of the oven. Snaps are really easy to install and use. On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or later, snaps come pre-installed.

We currently distribute IntelliJ IDEA EAP Community and IntelliJ IDEA EAP Ultimate from the Edge channel where we store our EAP builds. To install IntelliJ IDEA Community via Snaps from the command-line, use the following command:

Install IntelliJ IDEA Community:

$sudo snap install intellij-idea-community --classic --edge

To install IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, use:

$sudo snap install intellij-idea-ultimate --classic --edge

To run your edition, use one of these snap commands:

Run IntelliJ IDEA EAP Community edition: $intellij-idea-community

Run IntelliJ IDEA EAP Ultimate edition: $intellij-idea-ultimate

Interested? Learn more about snaps here.

As an alternative, you can always use Toolbox App to install and update IntelliJ IDEA.

We would like to know what you think about snaps. Should we utilize snaps for our upcoming release as well? Add your comments here or tweet @intellijidea. Your feedback is welcome!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

55 Responses to Install IntelliJ IDEA on Ubuntu with Snaps

1. Riccardo Cossu says:

November 16, 2017

Cool, will it be extended to regular releases as well? (although I see there’s less need for frequent updates there)

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 30, 2017

Yes it is now, starting with the IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3 release.

2. Serandel says:

November 16, 2017

Would that replace Toolbox in the future?

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

December 25, 2017

Hi Serandel,
      Snaps are only for Linux users. On the other hand Toolbox App is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. We don’t have any plans to replace Toolbox, on the contrary Toolbox App is actively developing.

3. Mark T Kennedy says:

November 16, 2017

fedora, please?

4. Vladimir Korenev says:

November 16, 2017

I am using intellij-idea-ultimate snap from the stable channel. A couple of days ago IDEA started notifying me that an update is available, but the snap has not been updated yet. Also, the intellij-idea-ultimate snap is missing a .desktop file (intellij-idea-community snap has it).

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 17, 2017

Hi Vladimir,
      The snap is an experimental method. As for now, we officially distribute only IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3 EAP in the Edge channel.

5. Uriel Castro says:

November 16, 2017

Of course you should use snaps for the upcoming release.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 17, 2017

Thank you for your feedback Uriel!

6. Dmitry says:

November 26, 2017

Its great, thank you!

7. DarkLite1 says:

November 27, 2017

Snaps are the way forward. Thanks for making this possible!

8. atopos says:

November 27, 2017

Whenever I can, I search for an available snap instead of traditional packages. So this is great news!

9. DarkLite1 says:

November 27, 2017

In Fedora I had to make a symlink first for your snap package:
    sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap

I think normally the source should be located under /var/lib/snapd/snap instead of /snap. Also, I can’t seem to be able to launch the application. The icon shortcut is available in Fedora but clicking it does nothing.

10. Olema says:

November 28, 2017

It looks as if you’re not keeping the snaps on the same cadence as your releases, though. I installed 2017.2.5 with the intellij-idea-ultimate snap, and I’m now getting notifications from within the app that a new version is available, but the snap still reports that it is up to date.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 30, 2017

Hi Olema. Officially we distribute only IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3.
      And starting from today we distribute for both channels: Edge and Stable

11. Matteo Iervasi says:

December 12, 2017

This is cool. Will you also package CLion and other JetBrains tools?

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

December 14, 2017

Hi Matteo, Clion is now available in the Edge channel:
      sudo snap install clion –classic –edge

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

December 14, 2017

Currently we distribute: IntelliJ IDEA Community, IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, WebStorm, PhpStorm, RubyMine, Goland, Clion, PyCharm Community, PyCharm Professional, PyCharmEdu

12. Alex says:

December 14, 2017

It would be nice if you provided the Toolbox, too, in the form of snap. And already from under Toolbox it would be possible to install other programs.
    I’m now trying to package 2 projects in a snap, but I do not represent how it will be work from the Toolbox)

But it’s a good idea to provide all your projects as snap.
    p.s. use CLion)

13. Dmitriy Pushkov says:

December 18, 2017

How do I create a desktop entry now? There is no “Tools” > “Create Desktop Entry” menu item anymore in PhpStorm.

I know I can “Lock to launcher” in Unity after running the application from terminal but the icon is ugly now due to low resolution.

• Dmitry Tronin says:

December 19, 2017

There’s no entry for manual desktop entry creation as the entry should be created automatically during installation.
      Please check if you have one in /snap/phpstorm/current/meta/gui
      If you do, doesn’t it show up in Applications?

14. Krzysztof Suszyński says:

December 20, 2017

There is IDEA, WebStorm and PhpStorm as snaps. Any chances for PyCharm?

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

December 21, 2017

Hi Krzysztof, we distribute all of them: PyCharm Community, PyCharm Professional, PyCharmEdu

15. Madalin Ignisca says:

December 29, 2017

Any reasons why Flatpak packages haven’t been considered?

• Ghislain Vaillant says:

January 16, 2018

Same here. A Flatpak package would definitely be welcome.

• Petr says:

January 30, 2018

I’d like Flatpak too (PyCharm Community runs great in Flatpak)

16. Karan Vohra says:

January 17, 2018

the command for running using snap is : snap run intellij-idea-ultimate

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

January 18, 2018

Hi Karan, you’re right you can run IJ with: snap run intellij-idea-ultimate
      Also you can run it with:$intellij-idea-ultimate

• Henning says:

January 19, 2018

It seems the snap version can’t create a command line launcher (e.g. “/usr/local/bin/idea”) anymore.

I’m pretty sure that worked a few weeks ago.

What’s the recommended workaround? If I use the “intellij-idea-ultimate” command (i.e. what the snap provides), it blocks the shell and doesn’t work correctly with “.” as the directory to open (names the project “.” etc.)

• Michael Hall says:

July 19, 2018

Snap should put an executable in /snap/bin which the snapd package should have added to your $PATH

17. Nikolay Demidov says:

March 2, 2018

Will you keep updating snaps?
    For now, in snap 173.* build, but it’s already available 181.*.

I thought, that you finally fixed the problem with updating of the ides. But there are still issues with old versions, so I have to manually update it to be able to use last versions of plugins.

18. Vladimir says:

March 12, 2018

error: cannot install “intellij-idea-community”: snap “intellij-idea-community” has “install-snap”
    change in progress

Brilliant. Ubuntu really is a piece of shit.

• mike says:

April 10, 2018

This appears to mean that the installation is in progress. Try running:

snap watch –last=install

To see.

• M Prasanna says:

September 11, 2019

snap watch –last=install

• vif says:

November 4, 2019

snap watch -–last=install

19. Christ_OFF says:

March 27, 2018

Dear Idea
    I tried to install IntelliJ Ultimate but the download fails with a 504
    The download rate is very low

20. Gerard Vermeulen says:

March 28, 2018

Hello,

we have installed Intellij Ultimate version 17.3 via snap on Ubuntu 16.4,
    is this automatically updated to the new version 18.1 ?
    and when is it updated?
    Or should we do something?

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

March 28, 2018

Hi Gerard! IJ should have been automatically updated to the new version 2018.1, if you use snaps.
      But it seems that there is an issue with snaps:
      Use the following command to force the update:snap refresh intellij-idea-ultimate

• Gerard Vermeulen says:

March 30, 2018

It worked automatically!

thanks

21. Felix Krull says:

April 16, 2018

Hi,

it seems opening a new window doesn’t work correctly with the snaps. In particular:

* Middle-clicking on the icon (or right-clicking and selecting “New Window”) doesn’t open a new window in gnome-shell.
    * When opening another project from the File menu, selecting “New window” doesn’t actually open the project in another window, it opens in the same window
    * Possibly related: invoking /snap/bin/intellij-idea-ultimate prints “Already running.”

I really appreciate the officially-supported snap packages. Having full auto-updates even for Ultimate is very convenient.

22. Christopher Rucinski says:

May 1, 2018

What are the differences between using snaps and using the Toolbox App on Linux only?

I have been using the Toolbox App right now, but will reformat my system and will be deciding if I should go with snaps or the Toolbox App.

What are the differences in behavior? Or just any other differences I should expect if I move to snaps only?

23. Juan Ignacio Sánchez Lara says:

June 15, 2018

When I try to login into my Jetbrains account to sync settings, IntelliJ tells me to install the Toolbox. In addition, I can’t see how can I set up the license. Am I doing something wrong, or must I install the Toolbox?

24. Giuliano Catrambone says:

August 23, 2018

Hi,
    this is a great news. I just installed Intellij community on ubuntu 18.04.
    Does Intellij community support C++ as well?
    Thanks
    Giuliano

• Dave Gorst says:

November 3, 2018

Have a look at CLion – there’s a snap available.

25. Santiago says:

September 21, 2018

I love snaps.

Thank you so much!

26. Glen says:

October 18, 2018

I have error running this ti RHEL 7:

snap install intellij-idea-ultimate –classic –edge
    error: cannot perform the following tasks:
    – Setup snap “core” (5662) security profiles (cannot setup seccomp for snap “core”: /usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: symbol lookup error: /usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: undefined symbol: seccomp_version)
    – Setup snap “core” (5662) security profiles (/usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: symbol lookup error: /usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: undefined symbol: seccomp_version)

Please help me on this. Thanks.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

October 23, 2018

Hi Glan, please note that you can install IntelliJ IDEA with Snaps on Ubuntu and not on RHEL 7.

27. Dave Gorst says:

November 3, 2018

Just curious – any reason why we’re missing a Rider snap?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 5, 2018

No special reason. Will add eventually – once we finish some other urgent tasks.

28. yaj says:

November 6, 2018

Great job and thank you!
    Finally which is the official most recommended, straightforward and uptodate, way to install JetBrains software on Linux platforms and keep them easily updated, snaps or Tool Box?
    It could be great to have Tool Box in a snap, that could ease it up?

• yaj says:

November 12, 2018

Up ?

• yaj says:

November 13, 2018

OK since I didn’t had any reply, I did the job myself and tried all the methods and here are my conclusion at the time of this post (I don’t know how JetBrains folks will sort things out).

I – you are not running a Linux OS (MacOS, Windows, …)

1) you use only one JetBrains software (which could evolve IMHO)

In the first case, I would go for the official packaged app for your operating system to keep the most up to date with the stable releases (if you are a snap aficionados you could still use them in windows development mode with bash support)

2) You are using more than one JetBrains software

Use JetBrains ToolBox as it simplifies everything: app auto-update, startup run, cleaning old installed apps, script generation, project search, license management, data collection, …

II – You are running a Linux OS

JetBrains ToolBox is the easiest way to go as it manages everything for you and offers numerous handy options specially when you are using more than one JetBrains software. Everything will beinstalled by default in your $HOME/.local/share/JetBrains (apps are in Toolbox/apps).

The most secure/isolated (aka: “secure”) is using snap, but not all JetBrains apps are available as snap packages and snap is not always available by default on Linux distros.

I would realy be looking forward for JetBrains developpers to port ToolBox as a snap and have it install other apps as snaps.

29. Diksha Wagh says:

August 30, 2019

snap “intellij-idea-community” has “install-snap” change in progress

This error occurs when I use snap install command