Install IntelliJ IDEA on Ubuntu with Snaps

Exciting news for Ubuntu users: you can now use snaps to install IntelliJ IDEA EAP builds, including both community and ultimate editions.

Snaps will update your app automatically, and you’ll always have a fresh IntelliJ IDEA build right out of the oven. Snaps are really easy to install and use. On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or later, snaps come pre-installed.

We currently distribute IntelliJ IDEA EAP Community and IntelliJ IDEA EAP Ultimate from the Edge channel where we store our EAP builds. To install IntelliJ IDEA Community via Snaps from the command-line, use the following command:

Install IntelliJ IDEA Community:

$sudo snap install intellij-idea-community --classic --edge

To install IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, use:

$sudo snap install intellij-idea-ultimate --classic --edge

To run your edition, use one of these snap commands:

Run IntelliJ IDEA EAP Community edition: $intellij-idea-community

Run IntelliJ IDEA EAP Ultimate edition: $intellij-idea-ultimate

Interested? Learn more about snaps here.

As an alternative, you can always use Toolbox App to install and update IntelliJ IDEA.

We would like to know what you think about snaps. Should we utilize snaps for our upcoming release as well? Add your comments here or tweet @intellijidea. You feedback is welcome!

About Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

IntelliJ IDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains. twitter: @ZlataKalyuzhnay ‏
This entry was posted in New Features and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Install IntelliJ IDEA on Ubuntu with Snaps

1. Riccardo Cossu says:

Cool, will it be extended to regular releases as well? (although I see there’s less need for frequent updates there)

2. Serandel says:

Would that replace Toolbox in the future?

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Hi Serandel,
      Snaps are only for Linux users. On the other hand Toolbox App is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. We don’t have any plans to replace Toolbox, on the contrary Toolbox App is actively developing.

3. Mark T Kennedy says:

fedora, please?

4. Vladimir Korenev says:

I am using intellij-idea-ultimate snap from the stable channel. A couple of days ago IDEA started notifying me that an update is available, but the snap has not been updated yet. Also, the intellij-idea-ultimate snap is missing a .desktop file (intellij-idea-community snap has it).

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Hi Vladimir,
      The snap is experimental method. As for now, we officially distribute only IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3 EAP in the Edge channel.

5. Uriel Castro says:

Of course you should use snaps for the upcoming release.

6. Dmitry says:

Its great, thank you!

7. DarkLite1 says:

Snaps are the way forward. Thanks for making this possible!

8. atopos says:

Whenever I can, I search for an available snap instead of traditional packages. So this is great news!

9. DarkLite1 says:

In Fedora I had to make a symlink first for your snap package:
    sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap

I think normally the source should be located under /var/lib/snapd/snap instead of /snap. Also, I can’t seem to be able to launch the application. The icon shortcut is available in Fedora but clicking it does nothing.

10. Olema says:

It looks as if you’re not keeping the snaps on the same cadence as your releases, though. I installed 2017.2.5 with the intellij-idea-ultimate snap, and I’m now getting notifications from within the app that a new version is available, but the snap still reports that it is up to date.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Hi Olema. Officially we distribute only IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3.
      And starting from today we distribute for both channels: Edge and Stable

11. Matteo Iervasi says:

This is cool. Will you also package CLion and other JetBrains tools?

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Hi Matteo, Clion is now available in the Edge channel:
      sudo snap install clion –classic –edge

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Currently we distribute: IntelliJ IDEA Community, IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, WebStorm, PhpStorm, RubyMine, Goland, Clion, PyCharm Community, PyCharm Professional, PyCharmEdu

12. Alex says:

It would be nice if you provided the Toolbox, too, in the form of snap. And already from under Toolbox it would be possible to install other programs.
    I’m now trying to package 2 projects in a snap, but I do not represent how it will be work from the Toolbox)

But it’s a good idea to provide all your projects as snap.
    p.s. use CLion)

13. Dmitriy Pushkov says:

How do I create a desktop entry now? There is no “Tools” > “Create Desktop Entry” menu item anymore in PhpStorm.

I know I can “Lock to launcher” in Unity after running the application from terminal but the icon is ugly now due to low resolution.

• Dmitry Tronin says:

There’s no entry for manual desktop entry creation as the entry should be created automatically during installation.
      Please check if you have one in /snap/phpstorm/current/meta/gui
      If you do, doesn’t it show up in Applications?

14. Krzysztof Suszyński says:

There is IDEA, WebStorm and PhpStorm as snaps. Any chances for PyCharm?

15. Madalin Ignisca says:

Any reasons why Flatpak packages haven’t been considered?

16. Karan Vohra says:

the command for running using snap is : snap run intellij-idea-ultimate

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Hi Karan, you’re right you can run IJ with: snap run intellij-idea-ultimate
      Also you can run it with:$intellij-idea-ultimate

• Henning says:

It seems the snap version can’t create a command line launcher (e.g. “/usr/local/bin/idea”) anymore.

I’m pretty sure that worked a few weeks ago.

What’s the recommended workaround? If I use the “intellij-idea-ultimate” command (i.e. what the snap provides), it blocks the shell and doesn’t work correctly with “.” as the directory to open (names the project “.” etc.)

• Michael Hall says:

Snap should put an executable in /snap/bin which the snapd package should have added to your $PATH

17. Nikolay Demidov says:

Will you keep updating snaps?
    For now, in snap 173.* build, but it’s already available 181.*.

I thought, that you finally fixed the problem with updating of the ides. But there are still issues with old versions, so I have to manually update it to be able to use last versions of plugins.

18. Vladimir says:

error: cannot install “intellij-idea-community”: snap “intellij-idea-community” has “install-snap”
    change in progress

Brilliant. Ubuntu really is a piece of shit.

19. Christ_OFF says:

Dear Idea
    I tried to install IntelliJ Ultimate but the download fails with a 504
    The download rate is very low

20. Gerard Vermeulen says:

Hello,

we have installed Intellij Ultimate version 17.3 via snap on Ubuntu 16.4,
    is this automatically updated to the new version 18.1 ?
    and when is it updated?
    Or should we do something?

21. Felix Krull says:

Hi,

it seems opening a new window doesn’t work correctly with the snaps. In particular:

* Middle-clicking on the icon (or right-clicking and selecting “New Window”) doesn’t open a new window in gnome-shell.
    * When opening another project from the File menu, selecting “New window” doesn’t actually open the project in another window, it opens in the same window
    * Possibly related: invoking /snap/bin/intellij-idea-ultimate prints “Already running.”

I really appreciate the officially-supported snap packages. Having full auto-updates even for Ultimate is very convenient.

22. Christopher Rucinski says:

What are the differences between using snaps and using the Toolbox App on Linux only?

I have been using the Toolbox App right now, but will reformat my system and will be deciding if I should go with snaps or the Toolbox App.

What are the differences in behavior? Or just any other differences I should expect if I move to snaps only?

23. When I try to login into my Jetbrains account to sync settings, IntelliJ tells me to install the Toolbox. In addition, I can’t see how can I set up the license. Am I doing something wrong, or must I install the Toolbox?

24. Giuliano Catrambone says:

Hi,
    this is a great news. I just installed Intellij community on ubuntu 18.04.
    Does Intellij community support C++ as well?
    Thanks
    Giuliano

25. Santiago says:

I love snaps.

Thank you so much!

26. Glen says:

I have error running this ti RHEL 7:

snap install intellij-idea-ultimate –classic –edge
    error: cannot perform the following tasks:
    – Setup snap “core” (5662) security profiles (cannot setup seccomp for snap “core”: /usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: symbol lookup error: /usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: undefined symbol: seccomp_version)
    – Setup snap “core” (5662) security profiles (/usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: symbol lookup error: /usr/libexec/snapd/snap-seccomp: undefined symbol: seccomp_version)

Please help me on this. Thanks.