Ready for a change? Please meet IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1 – our first major update of this year! This new release brings with it significant improvements to supported languages, frameworks, version control tools, debugger, compiler, and editor. Download and try it today!

800x400_blog_IJ_2018_1_@2x_preview

Explore all the new features of IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1 on our website! Here’s a brief summary of the most fascinating features awaiting you in this release:

• Java

• Code completion in the Stream API chains is now aware of the type casting, and suggests a completion item according to the existing call filter(String.class::isInstance), and automatically typecasted completion item.
    • Ability to define custom postfix Java templates
    • Data flow analysis now tracks relationships between variables like “greater than” and “less than”. The IDE also detects when a condition is always true (or false) in all the possible code paths when the variables are compared. Learn more
    • Java Inspections & Quick-fixes: Infinite Stream detection, Move break-condition of infinite loop to loop condition, and more
    • When there are several different approaches on how to fix possible problems in the chosen scope, IntelliJ IDEA groups all the suggested quick-fixes by their quick-fix type under the Fix partially button in the Inspection Results Tool Window.
    • JUnit 5 @Tag annotation support
    • Ability to generate test class with the Test prefix
  • JVM Debugger

• Ability to raise an exception during debugging
    • Log the breakpoint stack trace to the console
    • Use annotations for the Async stack traces setup
    • Ability to copy current thread stack trace
  • Java Compiler

• New checkbox on the Java Compiler page: Use ‘–release’ option for cross-compilation (Java 9 and later)
    • Ability to use a specific version of the ECJ compiler
  • Editor

• The IDE shows external annotations inline in your code by default
    • Ability to show inferred annotations right in your source code
    • The IDE now highlights and colors the folded code regions if they contain errors or warnings
    • The IDE highlights folded code regions with the search results
    • Ability to navigate to the next or previous identifier occurrence using the alt Wheel down or alt Wheel up shortcuts
  • Project Configuration

• New Change Module Names… action, available from the context menu of the Project Structure dialog
    • New Include dependencies with “Provided” scope option
  • Search and Replace

• Ability to preview a regex replacement in the Replace in Path window
    • Structural Search enhancements
  • Kotlin plugin has been updated to v1.2.30:

• Paste Kotlin code into a package.
    • Intentions for converting the scoping function calls. Learn more.
  • Groovy

• Ability to annotate every groovy class in the scope with the @CompileStatic annotation
    • Unnecessary import alias detection
  • Scala

• Hints for parameter names and return type
    • Structure view improvements: nested members, new icons, and more
    • Inline refactoring for methods with parameters
  • Android

• Merge with Android Studio 3.0
  • Spring Boot

• New gutter icons for beans registered in the application context
    • Access HTTP request mappings from the editor via the new REST client
    • Support Spring Boot Devtools
  • Version Control Systems

• Support for partial Git commits
    • Ability to toggle grouping local changes by directory, module, or repository
    • Ability to navigate from commit details pane to the Log tab by clicking on the commit hash
    • Git Log: New UI and better performance for the History for revision tab
    • Abort Rebase, Continue Rebase or Skip Commit actions are now available from the Git Branches pop-up if there is an ongoing rebase process
    • New Alt + Cmd + K (macOS) or Alt + Ctrl + K (Windows and Linux) shortcut for the Commit and Push…action
    • Clone Repository dialogs for Git and GitHub have been merged into one

• Database Tools

• SQL log data editor
    • MariaDB is now supported
    • Support for external schemas in Redshift. Learn more
  • Other

• Reworked Quick Documentation pop-up
    • The IDE automatically resizes the graphics to fit the window size
    • During the import of an Eclipse project, IntelliJ IDEA is now able to import your code style configuration
    • New Open in terminal action
    • Better HiDPI support on multiple displays for Windows
  • Hunspell plugin

• Docker plugin

• Enhancements made to Docker Compose support
  • Kubernetes plugin

• Rich support for the YAML Kubernetes resource files
    • Basic support for JSON Kubernetes resource files based on JSON Schema. Learn more

As always we fixed lots of issues with this update, with the following major ones:

• Now, the Search Everywhere pop-up receives focus: IDEA-124160.
    • The Project tool window receives focus when invoking from the Select In pop-up: IDEA-164945.
    • The Version Control Tool Window receives focus after viewing diff dialog: IDEA-124651.
    • Better JavaDoc formatting: prevents re-flowing of HTML-fragments IDEA-143120.
    • The Find in Path dialog doesn’t disappear if you click outside the dialog IDEA-168640
    • For Maven projects, the IDE now imports sources/test sources/resources, even if they are not in the module’s content root: IDEA-72904.

For the full list of fixes, please check out the release notes.

We want to say thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your contribution, and we encourage you to continue to share your thoughts and suggestions with us in the discussion forum, issue tracker, Twitter or here in the comments!

Without further ado, download IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1 from our website or get the update from the Toolbox App.

Happy Developing!

About Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

IntelliJ IDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains. twitter: @ZlataKalyuzhnay ‏
This entry was posted in Releases and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1: Code Analysis, Better Debugger, Partial Git Commits, Android Studio 3.0, and Other Improvements

1. gghghghghgh says:

Fonts are now really weird on 125% DPI size on Windows :(

Have to add:

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale.enabled=false

to vmoptions file to restore proper displaying

2. SmilerOnline says:

It only seems logical that the next step would be to bring IntelliJ IDEA to Android desktop environments such as Samsung DeX, Chrome OS, Razor Project Linda, Huawei EMUI Desktop, Android-x86/Remix OS/Phoenix OS and more.

3. David says:

The installer freezes after clicking “Next” in the “Choose install location” dialog. Reproducable on all machines (Win10 x64).
    The headline does update but the other content of the installer dialog stays the same and it does not react anymore on any input.

4. Charles Wise says:

Using JetBrains Toolbox to install and the settings weren’t migrated for the first time. Came up as a vanilla install. Had to roll back, export settings from 2017.3, re-install and import the old settings.

5. Justin Rudd says:

My Kotlin projects don’t load. Did a reimport (Gradle project), and all my Kotlin files are just text files.

6. Charles Wise says:

BTW, what does this mean exactly, “Support Spring Boot Devtools”? What support has been added?

7. blackj0221 says:

If android sdk is not installed, there is no warning message and it just shakes the screen.

8. Mike says:

Can we get more details about “Access HTTP request mappings from the editor via the new REST client”? I don’t see anything different related to my @RequestMapping’s

9. Sergey says:

It feels like the new Intellj IDEA detects errors quicker than before, and/or make them more visible – I just see more red color on the screen. I can’t really tell whether the color or the thickness of the under wave has changed, or the parsing speed and error highlighting.
    I am on Mac and I imported my settings from the previous version.

10. Andrei Karneyenka says:

Love the ability to automatically annotate Groovy classes with @CompileStatic !

11. Holger Brandl says:

Great release especially partial git commits!

The changelog https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/specials/idea/whatsnew.html?landing&fromIDE= could/should contain anchor links so that I could point colleagues to certain cool features. For sure all new features are cool, but some are cooler than others. :-)

12. Felix says:

Since this version my SBT module isn’t regonized anymore..

It gives me this message at startup:
    Cannot determine module type (“SBT_MODULE”) for the following module:”ore-build”
    The module will be treated as a Unknown module.

13. Vivek says:

Karma plum is not working or needs to be upgraded to sort the new version of the IDE

14. JohnChen says:

I download idea 2018.1 from https://download.jetbrains.8686c.com/idea/ideaIU-2018.1.exe
    .but SHA-256 is not right…
    where can i download idea 2018.1?

15. Jan van Oorschot says:

docker-compose stopped working for me! In the Console i get the –help output of docker-compose and the connection to the container is never made. I am running Intellij on Linux with the standard ‘apt install docker-compose’ and the latest docker-ce package.
    It worked perfectly before installing 2018-1.

16. Ivan Smurygin says:

I faced strange behavior with the Idea build.
    When I have IDEA opened, and try to launch visualVM, from the same java distribution which is installed on Windows, I can’t compile and run even simple main programm.
    It gives wierd error, only Idea restart helps.

17. Frantisek Hartman says:

Partial commits are cool.

But as a paying customer I would very much prefer fixing existing bugs!!

E.g. this one is ancient

• Maksim Mosienko says:

Stay tuned!
      In this release we also have done significant internal changes. For instance, we spent some half of the year addressing long-standing issues with focus-handling. The changes were done in IDE internals as well as in JDK implementations for major platforms. Even though In the release we haven’t finished all the necessary work on focus-handling subject but we finally have got possibility to reliably fix the old focus-related bugs.
      I expect many more focus related issues to be addressed in coming updates.

18. Dmitry says:

2018.1 bugs (Ubuntu 16.04):

File structure popup (Ctrl+F12):
    moving with Up/Down arrow keys often closes the popup unexpectedly.

‘new ‘ + Ctrl+Alt+Space:
    popup is closed immediately.

19. Andy says:

I like the additions the the REST client. However, I have a few questions.

I also noticed that after a run, even when there are test failures, the “Tests” tab does not have focus and I have to switch manually to see failed tests. I think, that’s not consistent with the way Unit test runs are handled.

I like the new REST client very much, please keep improving it!

• Svetlana Zemlyanskaya says:

Great! I’m happy to hear it. We are still working on REST client and your feedback will help us to prioritize issues.

> Suppose I have a test file with multiple REST calls. Is there a way to start the all (sequentially) instead of manually one by one? I did not manage that.

It’s not yet supported but we plan to implement it. https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-40378

> Then the console does not output the complete request. Request headers are missing for example. Is that intentionally or should I open an ticket?

Does it happen when the response is large? By default, Intellij shows last 1024Kb of the output in the console. You can change that at ‘Settings|Editor|General|Console’ by enabling and changing “Override console cycle buffer size”.

> I also noticed that after a run, even when there are test failures, the “Tests” tab does not have focus and I have to switch manually to see failed tests.

You can change the tab which should be selected by default. Invoke context menu on “Tests” tab and select “Focus On Startup”. The downside of the solution is that “Tests” tab will be selected despite tests status.

> I think, that’s not consistent with the way Unit test runs are handled.

Would you please elaborate which functionality do you mean?

> Do you think about extending the client and adding a “suite” concept, so that larger collections of tests can be triggered easily?

We have plans to extend REST client to execute tests on CI, then tests suits will be necessary. Unfortunately, it’s still not clear how should they behave, e.g. suits by file/directory or custom suits, explicit or implicit suits definition, etc.
      Would you please share your use cases and thoughts about the feature (here or as an issue in https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WI)?

• Andy says:

Hi,

thanks, that’s great news.

With ” I think, that’s not consistent with the way Unit test runs are handled” I only meant that with unit tests, the “Tests” tab opens when there are test failures. But as you already explained, that behaviour is customizable. So no problem there.

Great idea that you also intent to enable tests in CI.

20. David R says:

IntelliJ 2018.1 is freezing for me on Mac 10.13.4 after working for some time, I had experienced this before with the EAP version.
    I wanted to give the official 2018.1 a try as an official release but got the same.
    Work on a multimodule Maven project, JRebel and JBoss support.
    This does not happen with the 2017 versions. Will need to rollback.

David R

21. Alem says:

Hi

I don’t have gutter icons for @GetMapping annotations in Spring Boot in IntelliJ 2018.1.
    How can I enable it?
    Thanks

“Access HTTP request mappings from the editor via the new REST client
    Now, after you run a Spring Boot web application, a new icon is shown in the gutter for methods with @RequestMapping annotations that handle incoming HTTP requests. Click this gutter icon to open all the mappings in a scratch file with an .http extension and perform an HTTP request in the editor via the new REST client.

For methods with @GetMapping annotations, you have the choice to open the mapped URLs in a browser, or open a request in the HTTP Request Editor.

Note, that you need to add the dependency for the spring-boot-starter-actuator to your pom.xml or build.gradle file.”

22. Ulisses Ricardo says:

Too much problems with this build. Windows loosing focus or closing by itself, can’t navigate to files from “FIND IN PATH” window, even if the editor knows and shows the full path, and other things.

Had to rollback.

23. Niko says:

After upgrading to IntelliJ 2018.1 the code completion JavaScript / React / JSX doesn’t work any more:
    Available (and in package.json configured) packages in imports won’t be suggested for usage.
    React component properties won’t be suggested when editing.
    This worked in 2017.x

Is there anything I have to switch on or configure that this will work again?

24. Andrew says:

Hello,

The feature “Run anything” doesn’t work for me on my Mac OS 10.13 and IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1

I’m pressing “Double-press Ctrl”, but nothing happens.

Best Regards,
    Andrew

25. Scott says:

Quick Documentation popup is now missing the toolbar button to open the source html in a browser. Did this function get moved somewhere else, or was it removed entirely? It was a very helpful feature.

• Scott says:

In case anyone else is looking for the missing button, Shift+F1 (on Ubuntu) seems to do the same function.

26. Abhinav Mall says:

I keep getting the following error for my Play project:

Unknown Module Type
    Cannot determine module type (“SBT_MODULE”) for the following module

SBT plugin worked without issues in Intellij Ultimate 2017.3.4
    Not sure why it is failing now.

27. Dave says:

The new version is not showing different colors for tags, variables, strings… in html and php on my Mac (latest version of high sierra). I’m hesitating on updating my IntelliJ idea copy, then lately every update only means more bugs.

28. Michael says:

I’m having a weird issue for this version on Mac 10.12 as not seen before the upgrade.

When doing the auto-completion with either TAB or ENTER key, the next character that I’m typing (such as SPACE or “;”) is not received (there are *NO* problems with my keyboard – even with the external keyboard), and I have to type the next character again. It seems that the auto-completion may be responding slow to result the latency to receive the next character, as just a guess.

Wondering if this has been seen and options/suggestions to diagnose or fix it?

Version:
    IntelliJ IDEA 2018.1 (Ultimate Edition)
    Build #IU-181.4203.550, built on March 26, 2018
    JRE: 1.8.0_152-release-1136-b20 x86_64
    JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
    macOS 10.12.6

Thanks a lot,
    Michael.

29. Are we able to use Vue.js in android app with vue.js plugin?
    Can you provide more info on this or any related reference?

30. Youth.霖 says:

Ctrl+Alt+K does not work on my Ubuntu.
    And, in previous version, when I am at “Commit Changes” View(Ctrl+K), I can enter Alt+I to commit and Alt+P to push(which is hidden at Comm_i_t).
    But now, Alt+I is ok, however Alt+P not work. SO SAD.

• Dmitriy Smirnov says:

Why doesn’t the Ctrl+Alt+K work? Checked on my Ubuntu. and seems working.
      Alt+P also works for me, but for it to work the COmmit and Push action should be visible.
      On keyboard that could be done – Ctrl+K ->Alt+Shift+Enter (to open drop-down list) -> Alt+P

Moreover, the Ctrl+K -> Alt+Shift+Enter -> Enter executes Commit and Push

• Youth.霖 says:

But in previous version, I can press Alt + P to push even ‘Commit and Push…’ is hidden: Ctrl+K -> Alt+P -> Alt+P
        emmmm, but I shoud press twice… Oh I got that, it’s neccessary to open the drop-down list. That’s why in previous version I have to press twice Alt+P, the first is to open drop-down list, and now, I should press Alt+Shift+Enter to open it.