IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2 Hits Beta

IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2 is going Beta! This means that the major features are already implemented and we’ll now focus on polishing everything for the upcoming release.

The Beta milestone is a perfect time to share your opinions on the upcoming features, if you haven’t yet, as we’ll be able to add some touches for those new features based on your feedback.

Due out in late July, the upcoming IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2 will come with support for Java 13, improve its Inline Method refactoring, detect duplicates better, and enhance the JVM Profiler. It will provide a preview for Structural Search, add more features for working with Maven and Gradle, expand its EditorConfig support, improve the Services tool window, and do much, much more.

We’d like to show you a quick overview of the most exciting new features in this upcoming release for Java developers – take a look!

Try IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2 Beta right now! And don’t forget to share your feedback with us. Drop a comment in the section below, raise a ticket in our issue tracker, or tweet us.

Happy Developing!

About Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

IntelliJ IDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains. twitter: @ZlataKalyuzhnay ‏
This entry was posted in Beta Releases and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2 Hits Beta

1. Anton says:

HI. The announced feature “Commit from Local Changes” is not available in fresh EAP build
    Build #IU-192.5587.17, built on July 2, 2019. What the reason? Will it be added in IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2?

• Anton says:

Oh. I found the setting in File | Settings | Version Control | Commit Dialog

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

Hi Anton,
      Enable the ‘Commit from the Local Changes without showing a dialog’ option at Preferences / Settings | Version Contol | Commit Dialog

2. Andrey says:

Navigation between maven modules is still broker(

3. Bastien says:

Although this version is labeled “beta”, I can’t upgrade from 2019.1 if I select “Beta Releases or Public Previews” in the “Update” settings. Is this intended?

4. Jack R. says:

The new Git functionality in 2019.2 has made the “compare (branch) with current” function more difficult to use. Seems like this is a result of using the Git log as the output for this function instead of a custom dialog.

Previously, when comparing HEAD with a branch, you were able to see which commits were present in HEAD and not the branch, and vice versa. It seems now this only shows commits NOT present in HEAD but present in the branch. But the label for the action still just says “compare with current”, so you have to play around to figure this out.

I see the advantage of using the git log, as all the other functionality of that view is now available when comparing branches. But you should at least rename the action to reflect that this no longer works both ways. And for convenience’ sake, perhaps provide an additional action to show any commits present in head but not some other branch.

• Kirill Likhodedov says:

Hi Jack, thanks for your feedback. The problem is clear, we’ll think what can be done here. I think we can either create a separate action for the reverse comparison, or let choose the comparison order via an additional buttons as proposed in https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-209664

Meanwhile, as a workaround you may manually change the Branch filter in the log tab: it uses “HEAD..“, you can swap branches manually to “..HEAD”. Of course, that’s not very convenient if you need if often.

5. Marv says:

Just wanted to say that I’m a big fan of the unified Commit/VCS dialog!

Keep up the excelle twork you’re doing on IDEA!

6. Artem says:

I had to switch off the unified Commit/VCS dialog. Usually I maximize this dialog to see all files and all changes. Now when it is docked it is hard to observe changes before the commit. And BTW it is impossible to see the changes for 1 file in this dialog, when I press Ctrl+D. I need to tick off this file before it!

• Edoardo Luppi says:

I second this. As Artem, I use the commit dialogo to give a last look to the files I modified. I’m not saying the design is bad, it’s actually better than a modal dialogo, however I find it difficult to use it at the bottom, as I have a big display too.

• Ondřej Španěl says:

Exactly my experience. It is hard to use docked commit for the last review, one needs more space for that.

7. Nathan Brown says:

This issue is really impacting usability for me in 2019.2 : https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-215365
    It’s a regression of functionality since 2019.1, so I hope it will be addressed before release?
    It’s stopping me from Developing with Pleasure!

8. Mark Vedder says:

I really like the new features summary video. I hope this is something you continue to do with releases. While release notes are useful, seeing the features in action is more useful. And gifs often don’t fully communicate what you need to know about a new feature.

9. john says:

Did it add more options for coding styles in the settings?