What’s New in IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 EAP8?

Posted on by Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

The new IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 EAP build focuses on small fixes and improvements to various parts of the IDE. The new build comes with fixes for several regressions in Gradle support, polishes the Services tool window, fixes memory leaks, improves support for SpringBoot 2.2, improves Docker terminal, introduces the new Kubernetes View, and includes changes from Android Studio 3.5. Give it a try.

You’ll find the full list of all the issues that have been addressed in our release notes.

As usual, the EAP builds for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate are free to use but expire 30 days from the build date.

Better Docker terminal

We have refined our Docker support, and now the terminal inside a Docker container provides the same capabilities as the embedded terminal inside the IDE. The IDE now correctly sends resize commands to a container in response to terminal resize. Previously, on the long command, the Docker terminal didn’t start a new line but would overwrite the current line instead.

Kubernetes View

There are also some improvements to our Kubernetes support. Now in the Services tool window, the IDE provides cluster browsing and pod log viewing.

k8s.v2019.3gif

Please note that you need to first install the Kubernetes plugin. This plugin is only compatible with IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate.

Also, this EAP build of IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 includes all changes from Android Studio 3.5.

Give the new build a try and share your feedback with us here in the comments, in our issue tracker, or on Twitter.

Happy Developing!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

18 Responses to What’s New in IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 EAP8?

1. TheBestPessimist says:

October 31, 2019

I’d love to test out the k8s updates but the plugin doesn’t work on 2019.3 beta 🙁 : https://imgur.com/a/Lto7k0N

• Edoardo Luppi says:

October 31, 2019

Use the EAP releases you find here https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/10485-kubernetes/versions

• TheBestPessimist says:

November 1, 2019

is there a way to make the plugins autoupdate to beta versions, like i chose with the IDE?
        since the ide version is beta, i suppose the plugins should at least offer me the option to update to a beta version (which also works with the current ide version)

2. Xinky says:

October 31, 2019

I have create a `CompletionContributor` in my plugin, and It can not work on 2019.3EAP, but works well on 2019.2.4

3. Andrey says:

October 31, 2019

I suggest to fix some UI bugs too 🙂
    very annoying.

• Gecp says:

October 31, 2019

Totally agree;

• Edoardo Luppi says:

October 31, 2019

Andrey you could configure a bot to post this comment hahaha

• Andrey says:

October 31, 2019

Hope Jetbrains fix bug first. Before time when I need bot help 😉

• Edoardo Luppi says:

October 31, 2019

It is a strange bug indeed, I can bet it’s frustrating. Just a curiosity, do you experience it even with a fresh IDEA installation?
          It could also be your GPU, I had rendering problems with Delphi Firemonkey engine years ago because of my NVIDIA card.

4. Gecp says:

October 31, 2019

Still not available via Toolbox.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

October 31, 2019

It should be available in the Toolbox now. Sorry for the inconvenience

5. Sebastian says:

October 31, 2019

Unfortunately, starting with 2019.3 (all EPA builds until now) throw a lot of errors working with play! framework (v1) projects. I already submitted several bug reports, but I can still see the same errors in EAP 8 (everything seems to work as expected though).

IDE Fatal Errors:

in plugin Groovy:

java.lang.Throwable: Unexpected element. Element: Specific implicit variable: foo; class: class com.intellij.play.utils.processors.PlayImplicitVariablesFactory$2$1$1; text: foo
    See org.jetbrains.plugins.groovy.lang.resolve.NonCodeMembersContributor docs.

and in plugin Java:

Reference element is not the same element for which references were queried
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Element: com.intellij.psi.impl.source.PsiPlainTextFileImpl; reference: com.intellij.play.references.PlayControllerActionPsiReferenceProvider$ActionReference; reference element: com.intellij.psi.impl.source.tree.PsiPlainTextImpl

• Sebastian says:

November 1, 2019

See https://ea.jetbrains.com/browser/ea_reports/5286339 for example.

I just found out the “optimize imports” (on the fly) seems to be broken (by this error?). Triggering this function manually works as expected, but on file save, nothing happens.

6. Kevin says:

November 1, 2019

How do you go about adding a Kubernetes connection to something other than Google/CloudFoundry? I have a cluster elsewhere, and I don’t see where I’d go to configure a connection to that cluster or insert my kubeconfig information, or anywhere where I might be able to configure the connection outside of the ‘Add Service’ menu.

• Sergey Anchipolevsky says:

November 5, 2019

The Kubernetes view is cloud agnostic. It uses the local kubectl configuration to connect to the cluster. Currently you cannot switch or connect to a new cluster from the UI

7. Alessandro says:

November 3, 2019

Hello everyone, is the release date of 2019.3 stable version already defined?
    Thank you.

• Edoardo Luppi says:

November 4, 2019

Based on previous releases I’d say, expect it before the end of November.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 5, 2019

Correct. We plan to release it by the end of November