AppCode 3.1.2 update

Anastasia Kazakova

Hi everyone,

It’s time to start a new year with a new update! AppCode 3.1.2 with many Swift bug fixes is here. Get the update from the IDE itself or, if you like, download a fresh installer from the AppCode site.

This update includes several valuable fixes for those who are using Swift:

• New class/file wizard is available for Swift now (Cmd+N):
    swift_wizard
  • We proceed with the resolve of the Swift code in AppCode and since this build overloaded methods are resolved correctly (OC-10956).
  • Autocompletion now works after self and super keywords (OC-11160).
  • Dictionary initializers are parsed correctly now (OC-11278).
  • Go to class (Cmd+O)/symbol (Alt+Cmd+O) was improved in a couple of useful cases (OC-11329, OC-11301, OC-11235):
    Go_to_enum_symbol

The full list of fixes can be found in our tracker.

Sincerely yours,
The AppCode Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

26 Responses to AppCode 3.1.2 update

1. Oleksandr Manenko says:

January 16, 2015

This is something interesting. I didn’t use AppCode before for Swift development, because it has too much issues. This is an opportunity to give it another chance.

Thanks for your hard work, guys.

• Oleksandr Manenko says:

January 16, 2015

Well, it seems that I will not be able to use it, because my previous trial version has expired. I used it 2 hours in total and then stopped, because it was unusable.

Anyway I will give it another try later, when it will be more stable and feature rich.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 16, 2015

What features are you missing in particular?
        Please, write to appcode-support at jetbrains.com a short note, we’ll try to help you with a trial.

2. Tomek says:

January 16, 2015

I was unable to update from IDE (there was “Download” button in dialog), while I remember sometimes I could. Is that correct?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 16, 2015

What version do you have now?
      If it’s 3.1.1 then try AppCode | Check for Updates. You should see the Update info dialog that suggests you to apply the patch.

In case you have 3.1 or earlier then you need to download a full installer from our Download page on site.

3. Tomas says:

January 17, 2015

I am glad you are improving Swift support but it is still not enough to use it for development.

Swift types must be included in type checking and auto completion in Objective-C and vice versa. Also proper type checking for Swift. Without these features I need to stick to Xcode.

• Raphael says:

January 18, 2015

Same here.. Gave it a try but returned to Xcode again. I just can’t work with AppCode and Swift currently.
      I hope this will change soon because I miss my comfortable AppCode environment 😉

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 19, 2015

Could you please list the most important features you are missing in AppCode for Swift? This can help us to plan the work.

• PeiSong says:

February 25, 2015

exactly. Right now I cannot navigate between swift and objc, and no auto-completion as well. We still rely on a lot of objc libraries so this is not acceptable.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

February 25, 2015

If you use Swift classes in Obj-C, navigation and completion for these Swift classes will work. In other direction it doesn’t work for now. We understand it’s not very convenient, hopefully will fix soon.

4. Tomas says:

January 17, 2015

Hi, thanks for updating AppCode for Swift.

Still, some improvements would be great. For example, the autocompletion is not perfect.

var aVariable: Type
    Autocompletion works for aVariable

var aVariable = Type()
    Autocompletion DOES NOT work for aVariable

I also cannot jump to method definitions, etc. AppCode simply does not know the type of aVariable in the second case

Further, I really miss evaluation of expressions for Swift (Alt+F8).

5. Arthur says:

January 20, 2015

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I’ll give it a try. I had to go back and use xcode for swift. hope to be able to use lovely AppCode again!

Thanks

6. Muhammad Zeeshan says:

January 20, 2015

I have 3.1.2, I have mixed code in my project, I’m facing two problems which make me switch back to Xcode.
    1. AppCode display error on using Swift classes in Objective-C code (.m files).
    2. Intellisense doesn’t work when I use Objective-C classes in Swift code (.swift files), and I can’t navigate to Objective-C class from Swift files (like using Command+Click on Objective-c class method/property).

7. Simon Robinson says:

January 20, 2015

Hi, Thanks very much for the consistently good and regular point releases… really appreciated, I’m using it daily.

If pushed for a list of features I would really like – in order of high to low priority, I’d go for:
    – Real-time compile error highlighting
    – Implement/Override interface/superclass methods in keystroke (using Ctrl + i /o)
    – Introduce variable – (use it all the time in Intellij &Objc Appcode… didnt realise it did!)
    – Context aware auto-generation of code using Alt+Enter i.e. change signature
    // if the following constructor doesn’t exist & cursor is sat just after ’24’ then
    // allow creation using Cmd+Enter using inferred type
    var myObject = Dave( score: 24 )
    – Gutter implements/override icon hyperlinks for navigation.
    – External documentation shortcut key (using Dash) doesn’t seem to come up when key press made.
    – Seamless Swift->ObjC ->Swift navigation

Thanks again.
    Simon

8. Dee Madden says:

January 20, 2015

Excellent! When am I getting that free license you guys promised me in that post awhile back? 🙂
    – Dee

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 21, 2015

Haven’t you got it? Please, check the spam directory in you mail box. You should have got the e-mail.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 26, 2015

Have you finally got it? It was sent to the address at rga.com. Is it correct?

9. Mateo says:

January 23, 2015

I would love to ditch Xcode, but I’m still waiting for support for Size Classes in the interface builder in AppCode. Any idea when we can expect that?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

January 26, 2015

I suppose you mean this feature request (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/OC-11342)? Right now our top priority is Swift support. Later we’ll consider other requests from the tracker. Can’t provide any time frames for this now.

• Antoni says:

January 28, 2015

There’s not even support for AutoLayout yet 😉

10. derjohng says:

February 6, 2015

In last versions (3.1.1, 3.12), appCode takes hours to build symbols. Even been stuck, and cannot finished….

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

February 6, 2015

Could you please check if there is enough memory for building symbols? Switch on the memory indicator in Preferences | Appearance & Behaviour. If there is not enough memory, try to increase the xmx (https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/entries/23395793).

• derjohng says:

February 6, 2015

Ya. indeed the xmx memory issue. Thank you very much.

11. Michael says:

February 10, 2015

I really like Intellij and AppCode is similar, but it has no core data designer for example, so you have to open Xcode to change some managed objects, also some other thinks. If I don’t have to open Xcode in the development, then AppCode is my new IDE!, but now …