Scala and Play 2.0 Plugin for IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP is Out

We’re excited to tell you that we’ve just started the Scala plugin EAP for IntelliJ IDEA 14, so if you’re running an IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP build, you can install the new Scala plugin via SettingsPlugins.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 17.00.15

Here’s what the new Scala plugin brings you.

Play 2.0 Support is Now Part of the Scala Plugin

The key change we’d like to highlight is that the Scala and Play 2.0 plugins have merged together, so with IntelliJ IDEA 14 you don’t need to install them separately because Play 2.0 support is now a part of the Scala plugin. You still need to run IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate to enable Play 2.0 support though.

Change Signature Refactoring

The Change Signature refactoring is now also available for Scala code. It’s still a work in progress, but you can give it a try:

scala_change_signature

Improved SBT Support

• Documentation popup for SBT keys on Ctrl + Mouse hover
  • Code completion for artifacts
  • The dep live template
  • The inspection that checks unresolved dependencies
  • The android-sbt-plugin support
  • The inspection that simplifies Project() call into project.in() when possible
  • Navigation to subproject via Ctrl + Mouse click (Cmd + Mouse click for OS X)

SBTDemo

Faster Performance

In the new Scala plugin we’ve added a caching mechanism that significantly improves performance when you’re working with files that contain large numbers of implicits.

For the complete list of changes, refer to the Release Notes.

As always, you’re welcome to share your feedback in our discussion forum or issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

This entry was posted in EAP, New Features and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Scala and Play 2.0 Plugin for IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP is Out

1. Omid says:

thanks for good work, Please do something about high def monitors on Windows and Linux. Apparently on Mac it works but not working on Linux and Windows.

2. Tim Kellogg says:

How’s the bug fixing going? The v13 version of the Scala plugin was pretty buggy – a lot of false positives (for errors), a lot of uncaught errors, a lot of incorrect type inference. Seems like that should be the highest priority.

• Alexander Podkhalyuzin says:

Hi, Tim,

That’s how it was in all IntelliJ IDEA versions. And such problems is our everyday task, so it’s improving constantly.
      Uncaught errors have lower priority as we need to fix most of false positives.
      You can find the biggest reason of all problems (false positives) in your code, find similar issue and create new one and you will know when this issue will be fixed, and we also will know more about importance of this issue.

Best regards,
      Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

3. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEA 14 パブリックプレビュー | JetBrains ブログ

4. Stephen Boesch says:

I agree with Tim Kellogg.

But specifically, Please! Fix the apache Spark compilation issues! I posted in beginning of July already: Spark version 1.0 and later do NOT COMPILE in Intellij due to Intellij compiler bugs.

Simple to reproduce the issues: git clone https://github.com/apache/spark.git. Open the pom.xml as a maven project. Then try to build it. Fails on a DataType class due to internal compiler errors.

PLEASE make fixing these Intellij compiler bugs that prevent building successfully (and therefore can not run unit tests or do any debugging). Do you need money? I have been a paying customer since Version 6 and will gladly continue. Save us from Eclipse!

• Nikolay Tropin says:

Hi, Stephen,

I tried to clone, import with Maven and compile spark branch-1.0 and it works without errors with latest versions of the plugin. Newest branches of spark have some Avro and probably need additional setup to work.

Where did you post about this problem before? I cannot find it. We are trying to fix compiler errors as fast as we can, but we need to know about them somehow. Best place to report bugs is our bug tracker:

5. Robson Peixoto says:

How to execute Play Framework integration tests using Intellij?
    I’m using IDEA 14 Preview Ultimate.

Thanks

6. Daniel Lang says:

I second Tim Kellogg. In everyday development, the bugs and false-positives are most annoying. I like the new features too, but fixing all these nasty smaller bugs would have a tremendously positive effect on the development experience.

• Alexander Podkhalyuzin says:

We are working on all things, including fixes for error highlighting and new features as well. Understanding the balance is always hard task, but error highlighting bugs will always have top priority. We just have a lot of them (less than year ago, but still a lot), so it’s probably hard to see that.

Best regards,
      Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

7. David Pérez says:

Congratulations for your hard work.
    The Scala plugin is improving constantly.
    I’d like to know more about android-sbt-plugin support.

Is the android-sdk-plugin supported?

• Alexander Podkhalyuzin says:

Yes. This is the only SBT plugin, which is being supported by its authors.

Best regards,
      Alexander Podkhalyuzin.

8. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEA 14 is Released! | JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA Blog

9. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEA 14发布 | 剑客|关注科技互联网

10. Jean says:

I am using IntelliJ IDEA v14 community edition. After installing the Scala plugin that is supposed to support Play, I do not have the Play 2.x choice when creating a new Scala application is that normal? I have reinstalled the plugin and consistantly get the same result. Thanks for your help.

• Jose Pablo Alberto Andreotti says:

Have the same problem here! no support for Play 2 apparently!

• Kha says:

You have to use the ultimate version to get Scala support.

• Pietro says:

This seems to be true.

I had similar issues after using the EAP. After the 14 was officially out I was forced to upgrade and just took the free community version, after all the scala/play plugin was available. It just does not work.

Maybe add a line in the plugin description that the play 2 support also requires Ultimate edition.

• I also have this problem. I cannot import or create new Play projects in IDEA 14 Community Edition.

• SK says:

From the command prompt run the following and you should have your project visible on the IntelliJ. However this will not allow you to create new project. User “activator” to create new play project.

activator new // create new project , give it a name
        cd
        sbt gen-idea

Now open intelliJ and say open and select the project

11. Ilan says:

I have the same exact issue here. IntelliJ IDEA v14 community edition + Scala plugin v1.0 doesn’t show the Play 2.x option and doesn’t import projects correctly. I hope someone can fix it soon. Thanks.

12. Bridget says:

In the grand pattern of things you’ll secure an A just for effort. Where you actually misplaced us ended up being on your particulars. As they say, details make or break the argument.. And that couldn’t be much more correct right here. Having said that, let me inform you exactly what did deliver the results. The authoring is certainly quite powerful which is possibly the reason why I am taking the effort to opine. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, even though I can certainly notice a jumps in logic you make, I am not really certain of how you appear to unite your points which inturn help to make the actual final result. For the moment I shall subscribe to your position but trust in the near future you actually connect the dots better.

13. Laksitha says:

Isn’t Play Framework support only available in Ultimate Edition ?

14. Ulrik says:

Intellij 14 + Play 2.3.7 fails to run.

Any ideas:

[info] play – Listening for HTTP on /0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:9000

Server started, use Alt+D to stop

[success] Compiled in 443ms
    [info] play – Application started (Dev)
    [error] application –

! Internal server error, for (GET) [/] ->

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
    [error] application – Error while rendering default error page
    scala.MatchError: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: controllers/Application : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 (of class java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError)
    at play.api.GlobalSettings$class.onError(GlobalSettings.scala:148) ~[play_2.11-2.3.7.jar:2.3.7]
    at play.api.DefaultGlobal$.onError(GlobalSettings.scala:206) [play_2.11-2.3.7.jar:2.3.7]
    at play.core.server.Server$class.logExceptionAndGetResult$1(Server.scala:63) [play_2.11-2.3.7.jar:2.3.7]
    at play.core.server.Server$$anonfun$getHandlerFor$4.apply(Server.scala:73) [play_2.11-2.3.7.jar:2.3.7]
    at play.core.server.Server$$anonfun$getHandlerFor$4.apply(Server.scala:71) [play_2.11-2.3.7.jar:2.3.7]

System Info:
    ———————————————————————————
    OS:
    ——-
    OSX Maverick

JAVA jdk version:
    ———————
    java version “1.8.0”
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.0-b70, mixed mode)

• kalempir says:

I encountered the same problem. Removing JAVA_HOME line in .bashrc file solved the problem. it was pointered java 7, although default java version was java 8.

15. Jeramy says:

How did you even get Play to compile? I’m using 14 Ultimate and I keep getting:

Error:Play 2 Compiler:
    required: Content
    found: Html
    Note: /Users/jeramy/IdeaProjects/BlogEngine/test/ApplicationTest.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.

and

Error:Play 2 Compiler:
    Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    1 error
    (test:compile) javac returned nonzero exit code

It won’t even compile if I go into the command line and type play compile. However, if I download play from playframework.com and compile it without using Intellij it works just fine.

• Gautam says:

Hi I am having same problem.. if you get the solution please share..

• Gautam says:

I got the solution: i just changed the one line of code: —

html = views.html.index.render(“Your new application is ready.”);
        to ===>
        Content html = (Content) views.html.index.render(“Your new application is ready.”);

AND IT WORKED

16. Yadu Krishnan says:

Hi,
    I was working on Eclipse till recently and switched to IntelliJ a few months back on trial basis. I was extremely happy with the IDE and was about to buy the license. But we switched to Scala and then realized that most of us are facing a lot of issues with intellij scala IDE. I have tried v13 and v14, both Ultimate-trial as well as Community edition. The IDE suddenly hangs and unable to do anything. I am using a i7 machine with 8 GB ram. Still getting the issues very frequently. The CPU usage goes to 100% and have no other option other than killing the process. I have also tried increasing the memory in vmopts file, but could not find it very helpful. Is there anything else I need to do to improve the performance ?

17. jakub says:

Hello,
    I am using Intellij 14 pesonal license with play 2.3.7. All works fine in intellij v13 but when I try the same project (of course there is an upgrade of intellij internal files) play is simply dead. When I try project form SBT Console it is complaining
    [error] (compile:compile) java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “javac”: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

And If I try “Run Play 2 App” nothing happens after Make phase. So no error message simply nothing. …

18. This is my first time visit at here and i am actually
    pleassant to read all at one place.

19. Hellen says:

of course like your website bbut you have to test
    the spelling on several of your posts. Several off them are rife with
    spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the reality on the other hand I will surely come again again.

20. Rosa Mascall says:

What’s up mates, how is everything, and what you wish for to say about this article, in my view its really amazing for me.|

21. Onigri Geek says:

I do not even understand how I ended up right here, however I thought thks post used to be good.

I don’t realize who you might be but certainly
    you’re going to a well-known blogger in the event you aren’t already.
    Cheers!