Code With Me Reaches Public Release
JetBrains is rolling out the public release of Code With Me, the new service for remote pair programming and collaborative coding. Our team received a lot of positive and constructive feedback from the early adopters, and we wanted to thank them for their support and suggestions. We are happy to learn how Code With Me helped remote teams navigate the challenging shift to distance work during the pandemic.
That is why we wanted to provide users with seamless access to Code With Me functionality and have bundled our solution into the majority of IntelliJ-based IDEs.
For AppCode, Code With Me is available as a plugin that you can download from the Marketplace.
You can read this post in Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and Spanish.
Code With Me connects remote teams in a feature-rich collaborative environment and helps boost productivity, no matter where the team members are based. The essential IDE features, such as smart code insights, navigation, and remote unit testing, are available for participants during collaborative sessions. Teams can simultaneously edit code, debug, track changes with diff previews, and follow each other in the shared project. The embedded audio, video calls, and chat messaging will help software developers discuss questions, share their knowledge, and cooperate more efficiently.
Enabling Code With Me takes just a few moments: determine your guests’ permissions and share a link with them. Your peers don’t even need to have their own JetBrains IDE installed – they only need an invitation link to join your session.
Code With Me has a variety of security settings that allow the host to control the level of access to the project data. No one can join a shared session without the host’s approval. Code With Me communicates through an open-source distributed protocol created by JetBrains and uses TLS 1.3 for end-to-end encryption.
For businesses that do not want their traffic to go outside of their organization’s network, Code With Me has an on-premises version. The collaborative service can be installed and run securely on a private network. Are you interested in giving Code With Me on-premises a try? Learn more about how to start a 30-day free trial here.
Check out this video to see the core features of Code With Me in action:
Pricing and availability
With the public release, Code With Me introduces three types of licenses. Please note, only hosts need to have a subscription, guests do not need a license to join a shared session.
Let’s look at the benefits of each plan:
- The Community Plan is free of charge and gives you a great option to obtain a collaborative coding experience and test Code With Me’s feature-rich functionality. With the Community Plan, you can create an unlimited number of 30-minute sessions and invite up to 3 guests to your IDE. Need more time? Just create a new session and share a new link with your peers. Or consider upgrading to the Premium plan!
- The Premium Plan works perfectly for bigger teams and those who need more time and space for collaboration. With a Premium subscription, you can also create an unlimited number of shared sessions, but you won’t have any time limit per session. Also, it allows you to invite up to 50 guests. This subscription is available with an annual and monthly billing cycle. The Premium plan starts from $5.00 per month.
| 🎁 Special offer: Given the daily need for collaborative tools for remote development and pair programming, JetBrains makes Code With Me easily accessible for users in our community.
These users have free access to a Code With Me Premium subscription:
– Anyone who has an active paid subscription for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, PhpStorm, GoLand, AppCode, PyCharm Professional, CLion, RubyMine, or WebStorm.
3. The Enterprise Plan suits companies and individuals who are seeking extra security. With this subscription, businesses have exclusive access to the Code With Me on-premises solution. Enterprise users can host up to 100 guests and run concurrent collaborative sessions according to the number of active licenses. The subscription is available starting from 10 licenses, and an annual user license costs $400.00. To see all the functionality in action, you can request a 30-day free trial.
What we plan to do next
The public release is an essential milestone for the whole team behind Code With Me, though we have even more ambitious plans. Here is what we are up to next:
- Expand accessibility and bundle Code With Me into AppCode.
- Provide support for the Rider and DataGrip IDEs.
- Make Code With Me compatible with Android studio. If you have any specific functionality for this in mind, please tell us!
- Add support for IntelliJ IDEA EDU and PyCharm EDU.
- Introduce Remote Development, a solution that allows running a feature-rich remote development environment on a remote server. This approach avoids having source code on a developer’s laptop and launches the IDE computations on servers with unlimited horsepower.
In the meantime, we will keep plugging away on our end to continually ‘smooth and improve’ – stay tuned for more updates from Code With Me! Leave us a comment – we want to hear your thoughts 👇
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!