How-To's

ReSharper 5.0 Goes RC!

Today, we have made available ReSharper 5.0 Release Candidate build that you’re welcome to download and evaluate.

No new features there but instead, a ton of performance improvements (Find Usages anyone?), technology support improvements and Visual Studio 2010 integration fixes.

If you find any critical issues with the RC build, please report them using our bug tracker or our Twitter account or let our know in any other way you’re aware of. Please help us come up with a really successful release next month!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

13 Responses to ReSharper 5.0 Goes RC!

1. Avatar

Gabriel Lozano-Moran says:

March 24, 2010

Any idea when you guys will release the final bits of R# 5.0? I know that the “launch” date of Visual Studio 2010 is for 12th April but assume that MSDN Subscribers will get the bits the 6th April, will the final bits of R# 5.0 be available then as well?

2. Avatar

Jura Gorohovsky says:

March 24, 2010

@Gabriel,

Unless an earthquake hits our labs or the RC build reveals thousands of show-stoppers (both improbable), we’re releasing R# 5.0 during DevConnections, that is, between April 12 and 14.

3. Avatar

Joe White says:

March 25, 2010

Any idea how many more bugs you’re likely to get fixed before the release?

In particular, the Pattern Catalogue needs some work. Are you likely to fix any of the usability problems around the Pattern Catalogue, like RSRP-173036, RSRP-173055, RSRP-173056, RSRP-173063, RSRP-173209, RSRP-173236, and RSRP-173238 — all of which I just wrote up today? (I have three more to write up, but YouTrack was down this afternoon.)

I’ve written up several other bugs and regressions in R#5. Some have been fixed, like the 5-minute delay every time I run tests (thank you!). But it’s a bit annoying that nobody’s looked at several issues I still run into every day, like the “ReSharper is always scrolling my code offscreen” bug (RSRP-164364) or the “misplaced tooltips” family of bugs (RSRP-146356, RSRP-146515). And I’m sad that you dropped the shortcut keys from the menus (RSRP-165152).

That said, I do have to say that I’m always really annoyed when I have to use one of my colleague’s computers and they’re still on R#4.5. There’s always something I wish I had 5.0 for. There’s a lot of good stuff in there… I just hope you get a chance to smooth over a few more of the rough edges before release.

4. Avatar

Jura Gorohovsky says:

March 25, 2010

@Joe,

Bug fixing continues but to what specific extent, I can’t say – we’ll fix as much as we can.

I know that the guy behind Structural Search and Replace keeps working on his bugs and usability problems (the other day, I saw him sitting at his workplace hours after he was supposed to leave, so he’s taking it serious), and you can’t help but admit SSR has already improved a ton compared to Betas.

5. Avatar

Alun Harford says:

March 25, 2010

Resharper 5 is still a very buggy version of the buggiest tool I could never live without. I use it because I’m using VS2010 and I could never live without Resharper.

But calling it ‘RC’ worries me somewhat. Do you actually intend to fix the bugs? It’s behavior is kind of random most of the time because it throws a few hundred unhandled exceptions every day.

6. Avatar

Alun Harford says:

March 25, 2010

Found a bug already. The installer says it’s a beta.

7. Avatar

Emil Ingerslev says:

March 25, 2010

Are I’m the only one who can’t use the xunit runner after installing the this RC?

8. Avatar

Helza says:

March 25, 2010

Going to try the RC tommorow, used 2 different beta version for almost a month and i’m pretty pleased with it. Even better then 4.5 & lots of new features.

Had only a handful of exceptions until now,but it never interfered with my work when it did. So as far as beta’s go i liked it alot.

9. Avatar

Jack says:

March 26, 2010

I like ReSharper, it is the best visual studio addin 🙂

10. Avatar

Stephen Ritchie says:

March 29, 2010

The xUnit runner doesn’t work for me after installing the ReSharper 5.0 RC (Build 5.0.1648.10); running in VS 2008. How can I correct this?

11. Avatar

Stephen Ritchie says:

March 29, 2010

Good news! After searching again, I found on the xUnit.net Contrib site a build dated Saturday 27-Mar that supports ReSharper 5.0 (build 1609) RC support. I followed the instructions and now the xUnit runner works for me.

12. Avatar

Clinton says:

April 23, 2010

The bug tracker link in your post is broken, it appears that it should point to http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/RSRP . The Twitter account link is also broken.

13. Avatar

Jura Gorohovsky says:

April 26, 2010

@Clinton
    Thanks for noting this – both links fixed

Discover more