Enough of early access to the family of .NET tools, it’s time for serious business!
Please welcome Beta releases of ReSharper 9.0, ReSharper C++, dotCover 3.0, dotTrace 6.0, dotMemory 4.2 and dotPeek 1.3.
As all of them are now available from a single installer, you can download ReSharper 9 Beta and choose to install only ReSharper or more of our .NET tools.
Read on for a recap of new functionality, the recommended way to submit feedback, and the list of major known issues.
A recap of what’s new in these releases
- ReSharper C++ Beta is, well, the first Beta release of a new product. The current state of C++ support in ReSharper is described here.
- dotCover 3.0 Beta receives remote code coverage, a restyled coverage configuration dialog, a new coverage controller, as well as support for ReSharper 9 and Visual Studio 2015 Preview.
- dotTrace 6.0 Beta introduces a completely new Timeline profiling mode for collecting temporal call stack and thread state data, refines the starting point of the profiling process with dotTrace Home view, adds more flexibility to subsystems, and supports Visual Studio 2015 Preview.
- dotMemory 4.2 Beta learns to live on a shared platform with the other .NET tools, and therefore receives Visual Studio 2015 Preview support as well.
- dotPeek 1.3 Beta borrows a set of actions introduced in ReSharper 9, and integrates its symbol server with ReSharper’s navigation to external sources, which basically allows setting break points in third-party code that you navigate to using ReSharper.
Note that all JetBrains .NET tools now operate on a shared platform, which conserves resources when several products are running at the same time in Visual Studio.
We need your feedback as soon as possible
If you have ignored prior Early Access builds expecting to preview ReSharper and friends on a later stage, this is probably the time for you to give the updates a try. As we are on a very tight release schedule this time, we ask you to check the known issues outlined below, and if your system environment is fine, download and install the Beta releases. When you have them installed, if anything is not working, please let us know about any critical issues as soon as possible.
If anything is going wrong, the easiest way to let us know is select ReSharper | Help | Report a Bug or Submit Feedback. In the Feedback Center window that opens, you’ll be able to briefly describe the problem you’re having, and send additional info our way: from environment information to a screenshot of your Visual Studio window to a settings file or a snapshot of your solution’s structure.
Beware of known issues
Some things are certain to go wrong. We know them, and you should know them, too. Here are major known issues of this Beta release:
- Running any product under Windows with a non-English locale leads to a Visual Studio crash.
- Integration with Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 is not supported. In fact, as announced recently, support for these versions of Visual Studio is discontinued permanently. We just thought it wouldn’t hurt to reiterate this.
- The installer only runs on 64-bit operating systems.
- The Beta releases don’t currently support Windows XP.
- Standalone applications (dotTrace, dotMemory and dotPeek) don’t launch under Windows Vista.
Are you ready?
Are you not affected by the known issues outlined above? Congratulations! Download the Beta installer and give it a ride!