Great news from the .NET tools development team here at JetBrains: ReSharper 9.0, dotCover 3.0, dotTrace 6.0, dotMemory 4.2 and dotPeek 1.3 are all released and available for download!

As all JetBrains .NET tools now use a single installer, you can download ReSharper 9 and choose to install only ReSharper or more of our .NET tools.

Resharper 9 is released

Highlights of ReSharper 9.0 RTM include:

• Support for Visual Studio 2015 Preview while preserving compatibility with Visual Studio 2010, 2012 and 2013. Support for VS 2005 and 2008 has been discontinued, as described before.
  • Support for C# 6.0. Although the final C# 6.0 language design is not yet clear enough, ReSharper 9.0 already provides support for most of what is defined. New code suggestions help migrate your existing code to more concise C# 6.0 language constructs such as the conditional access operator (?.) and the long-awaited get-only auto-properties. You can get rid of curly braces with expression-bodied members, implement better DSLs using static support, play with exception filters and dictionary initializers. Please check this post for more details on C# 6.0 support.
  • New navigation features including Go to Action to search for a particular action using the legendary Alt+Enter shortcut and Navigate to Exposing APIs option for finding all the methods that are capable of returning a particular type.
  • Regular Expressions support with code completion for wildcards and regular expression groups, error highlighting, quick-fixes and a separate Regular Expression Validation Utility. Blog post about Regular Expressions support in ReSharper 9.0.
  • Fix in Scope improvements to remove redundant qualifiers, fix naming or remove regions in the scope of the whole solution. ReSharper 9.0 can look through the code in your solution and generate the appropriate imports for all the types including extension methods.
  • Type Dependencies Diagram that looks cute and helps finding out what code depends on a particular type, and what the type itself depends on.
  • Outstanding JavaScript and TypeScript support with 50+ new quick-fixes to cover over 270 different types of code issues, new live templates for common TypeScript entities, and new code generation options. The list of available refactorings is extended to include Introduce Field, Rename File, Copy type and a set of Move refactorings to ease code tweaking.

ReSharper C++ has not reached the release yet, the EAP goes on. Stay tuned for further updates!

Updates to other .NET tools

We’re also rolling out substantial updates across the whole family of JetBrains tools for .NET professionals:

• dotTrace 6.0 introduces a completely new Timeline profiling mode for collecting temporal call stack and thread state data, refines the starting point of the profiling process with dotTrace Home view, adds more flexibility to subsystems, and supports Visual Studio 2015 Preview.
  • dotCover 3.0 supports remote code coverage, gets a restyled coverage configuration dialog, a new coverage controller and support for ReSharper 9 and Visual Studio 2015 Preview.
  • dotMemory 4.2 learns to live on a shared platform with the other .NET tools, and therefore receives Visual Studio 2015 Preview support as well.
  • dotPeek 1.3 borrows a set of actions introduced in ReSharper 9, and integrates its symbol server with ReSharper’s navigation to external sources, which basically allows setting break points in third-party code that you navigate to using ReSharper.

All JetBrains tools for .NET professionals now operate on a shared platform which means less consumption of resources when running them at the same time in Visual Studio.

Moreover, with the new ReSharper Ultimate license you can now use all of them at affordable price that includes 1 year of free upgrade subscription.

What’s new: Live sessions

If you’re interested to learn more about the new releases, read all blog posts about ReSharper 9 (there’s more of them to come soon), or register for our free webinars:

Whatever anyone can say, the best way to learn more about these updates to JetBrains .NET tools is to download a trial and test it in action!

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to ReSharper 9 is Released along with dotTrace 6, dotCover 3, dotMemory 4.2 and dotPeek 1.3

1. Pingback: 1p – ReSharper 9 is Released – Offeryour.com Blog

2. I tried the beta and was impressed with some of the new code analysis warnings (e.g. collection only ever added to, never enumerated.)

Thanks for R# 9.

I hope MVC annotations still work.

3. Issa Fram says:

Love ReSharper! Been using it since version 6.

Would love a personal license though.

Do me a solid and give me one free of charge. I can be your official RTM tester. I can also promote it on social media. I already do on Twitter.

Anyways, congrats to the dev team on the release.

4. Tobias says:

Could you please add an offline installer for dotPeek? I can’t download it because of our proxy settings. This is the log I get:

Started.
    The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    at NuGet.RequestHelper.GetResponse()
    at NuGet.HttpClient.GetResponse()
    at NuGet.RedirectedHttpClient.GetResponseUri(HttpClient client)
    at NuGet.RedirectedHttpClient.EnsureClient()
    at System.Lazy1.CreateValue()
    at System.Lazy
    1.LazyInitValue()
    at System.Lazy1.get_Value()
    at NuGet.MemoryCache.GetOrAdd[T](Object cacheKey, Func
    1 factory, TimeSpan expiration, Boolean absoluteExpiration)
    at NuGet.RedirectedHttpClient.get_CachedClient()
    at NuGet.RedirectedHttpClient.get_Uri()
    at NuGet.DataServicePackageRepository.get_Context()
    at NuGet.DataServicePackageRepository.GetPackages()
    at JetBrains.Platform.Installer.Bootstrap.Runs.c__DisplayClass14.b__8()

5. Shiew Cheong Tang says:

I’ve just gotten a brand new license for dotMemory (which I assume is eligible for this upgrade). Which means both my dotMemory 4.2 and dotPeek 1.3 will be running on this new/shared platform, that’s great.

But what about my old Resharper 8.2? Will that play along just fine with the new features? For e.g. will the new dotPeek 1.3 feature “basically allows setting break points in third-party code that you navigate to using ReSharper” still works with my old Resharper 8.2?

• Sergey Shkredov says:

Hi, dotMemory since version 4 comes with 1 y. subscription for all updates so you are eligible for 4.2 update.
      ReSharper 8.2 is not compatible with dotMemory 4.2 as far as Visual Studio integration is concerned. That means that you may install dotMemory 4.2 and dotPeek 1.3 side-by-side with ReSharper 8.2 but make sure that Visual Studio integration option is unchecked (otherwise it will remove ReSharper 8.2 from Visual Studio).

6. Pingback: The Morning Brew - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #1752

7. Rudolf Kurka says:

Are there R# plugin templates that use the new 9.0 sdk?

8. Pingback: ReSharper 9 リリース | OPC Diary

9. Sergey Litvinov says:

Nice!
    What about performance? Are there any fixes to increase Resharper performance or improve memory usage?

• Daria Dovzhikova says:

@Sergey,

Yes, there were significant optimizations to speed up Solution Wide Analysis and Code Completion specifically. The shared platform also reduces memory and CPU consumption when 2 or more JetBrains .NET tools run in the same Visual Studio instance simultaneously.

• Alexander Shvedov says:

The real answer is: we always do something about R# performance, this is really important aspect for us. We have dedicated devs focused on performance, we continuously do performance testing, we improve our profiling tools based on experience of profiling ReSharper and solving performance issues. As in every R# release, more cold data offloaded to disk, more hot data cached in RAM and so on.

The most notable differences in R# 9.0 are:
      * Much faster Visual Studio startup (we do much more ReSharper loading in asynchronous way);
      * Reduced memory and CPU footprint when running multiple of our .NET products integrated in VS (we now basically share common assemblies and components);
      * Solution-wide inspection no longer needs external process (it consumes much less memory now, so we get rid of inter-process communication);
      * Virtualized code completion items presentation makes code completion lookup list renders much faster.

10. Congrats to the teams for those awesome tools!

11. Pingback: Live Webinars: What’s New in ReSharper 9 (Dec 11); What’s New in dotTrace 6 (Dec 16) | JetBrains Company Blog

12. Pingback: Dew Drop – December 5, 2014 (#1909) | Morning Dew

13. Martin says:

Unfortunately the ReSharper 9 version with the Visual Studio 2015 Preview seems rather buggy. I installed it, and suddenly the nameof-operator is displayed as an error. Xunit tests are still not supported (really a shame). Apparently you need to install an extension for this. But the extension dialog does not work properly either.

• Alexander Shvedov says:

Unfortunately, nameof() operator is out of C# 6.0 support in R# 9.0 RTM, as well as string interpolation feature. Simply because final design is not clear yet. I’ve answered in details here.

p.s. Just a few days ago Roslyn team has changed syntax of ‘using static’ feature like this. We expect to align with the final C# 6.0 design in upcoming R# 9.1 EAP.

14. Felipe Chiumeo says:

File Header Text not support multiline ?

• Ola Nygren says:

I had to edit the DotSettings-file in another editor to be able to insert newlines. I also failed inserting newlines in the Resharper 9 options-dialog.

• Makoto Schoppert says:

I am also having this same issue. I hope JetBrains will address this issue really soon.

15. N says:

Would you please also update http://www.nuget.org/packages/JetBrains.Annotations as it is now 8.0.3, but the RTM version of the DLL shipped with ReSharper 9.0 is 8.0.4? Are you going to update the NuGet package in sync with the ReSharper releases?

16. nevin says:

I have a new-ish license for dotCover and R#. I got a prompt to upgrade it from VS2013 and it downloaded and ran an installer.
    I chose upgrade to R# and DC and it just uninstalled everything, no re-install.
    Everytime I run that installer, it pulls packages but does not actually install anything.

I’ve always felt the JB product upgrade process was very weak but this is a whole new level.

• Alex Berezoutsky says:

Hello Nevin,

Apologize for the inconvenience. Could you please send the Installation Logs to our support team with a brief description of the issue?

Email is: resharper-support@jetbrains.com
      Logs are located in: %localappdata%\JetBrains\Shared\v01

Thank you in advance!

17. Pingback: Les liens de la semaine – Édition #107 | French Coding

18. Divya Singhal says:

Nice. I love Resharper. Just wondering if I can upgrade from Resharper v8.2 to 9 for free, as I have 1 year upgrade subscription until March 2015?

19. A Oliver says:

I found I couldn’t use multiline text in file header text either. Pasting an existing piece of multiline text only inserted the first line. When attempting to add text manually, pressing return caused entire options dialog to close.

Yesterday, the “Remove redundant code in file” feature did not work for me. Progress bar got to ~90% “About 5 seconds remaining” and then didn’t move any further. I tried it again today and it eventually worked.

Other than that, I’m looking forward to making use of my ReSharper Ultimate goodies!

20. Shantanu says:

We got the license for Resharper ultimate as it also has DotCover. We had tried DotCover 2.7 earlier and we could get the coverage easily.

Now, when we open the same projects using the latest DotCover 3.0 – (Resharper->Unit Tests -> Cover Unit tests) – we do not see any tests in the window.

Let us know if you need any other data from my side.

Thanks,
    Shantanu

21. dan houck says:

I am a single developer company. Can I use a single ReSharper license for my VMs (both on my developer machine and in Azure)?

22. Davyd McColl says:

Test Runner is faster (yay!)
    But still slows down the IDE when writing a new test; the work-around of closing the test-runner window still works, but is not as direly necessary (hm)
    Test Runner is riddled with bugs (boo)
    – sometimes ctrl-u, ctrl-r shows an error that the action is not available
    – often, when a build takes a little longer than usual, the test runner window hangs; killing the current run and restarting the test after the build works. Timing issue!
    – I (and others) have observed the test runner showing a fail count > 0 but not actually showing failed tests?!
    – ctrl-enter on test fixtures and methods may be convenient for some — but for many, this is extraneous. Please fix the test runner before adding more items to the ctrl-enter menu.
    – There are many improvements (yay), mostly countered by more bugs (aw). I’m excitedly awaiting a 9.0.1 release.

• Daria Dovzhikova says:

@Davyd,

Thank you for the feedback. Most of the issues you are referring to are going to be fixed with the next bug-fix update indeed.

23. Pingback: Resharper v9 и C# v6 | Malanris's site

24. hermanthotan says:

Hi Guys,

Can we fix resharper that using huge memory, when i open my simple apps with 3 project. It took alot of memory almost 800MB sometimes it exceed 1GB after coding for 1-2 hrs.

usually I open 2 or more VS project, so 8 GB of RAM it looks not enough in the near future.

25. Pingback: JetBrains更新了旗下的所有.NET工具,包括ReSharper 9 | 程序人生

26. joe beazel says:

I recently installed Resharper 9 and couldn’t get the HTML pattern searching to work on MVC files when using placeholders. Rather than signaling an error, it just didn’t return any results. When I tried to edit the pattern, I noticed the CSS selector field was blank. If HTML pattern searching doesn’t work with MVC files, it is reasonable to expect error messages.

27. Kent says:

If I’ve recently purchased R8, less than a year ago, can I get a free upgrade to R9.

• Daria Dovzhikova says:

Hello Kent,

If you purchased a personal license it includes a year of free upgrades. Commercial licenses can be purchased either with subscription or without.

28. Carl says:

Its a shame the new installer removes previous versions of resharper when installing dot trace even though I told it to skip the resharper upgrade. (uninstalling 8.2) :(

• Daria Dovzhikova says:

Carl, apologies for the incovenience.

New versions of dotTrace, dotCover, dotPeek and dotMemory are not compatible with ReSharper 8.2, so if you choose to turn on Visual Studio integration for these tools, the installer will upgarde ReSharper to the latest version automatically.