UPDATE! The behavior described below is supposedly fixed in ReSharper 9.1.3. Apologies to everyone affected, and please install the new version.

Sometimes bad releases happen, and it looks like this week’s ReSharper 9.1.2 was one of them.

What initially looked like a locale-specific problem turned out to be a universal hindrance for Visual Studio 2015 RTM users, with symptoms such as inverted keyboard input (sgnirt instead of string), disappearing caret, focus switching off the text editor, and random crashes.

We should point out that these problems only affect Visual Studio 2015 RTM users. If you are working in Visual Studio 2013, 2012 or 2010, you are not affected by this problem and you can safely continue using ReSharper 9.1.2.

Yesterday and today we have gathered symptoms and communicated with end users in this issue, and as of now, we have already applied a fix and we are testing it internally.

We will deploy an update as soon as possible this week. Meanwhile, if you are using ReSharper 9.1.2 in Visual Studio 2015 RTM and experiencing symptoms described above, here’s what you can do:

1. Go to ReSharper’s editor appearance options (ReSharper > Options > Environment > Editor > Editor Appearance) and disable Enable action bar for action indicators and show it next to the left margin.
  2. Go to in ReSharper’s code analysis options (ReSharper > Options > Code Inspection > Settings) and disable Do not show Visual Studio bulb (VS action will be merged into ReSharper bulb).
  3. If none of the above helps, disable ReSharper (Tools > Options > ReSharper Ultimate > Suspend Now).
  4. Install ReSharper 9.1.3 as soon as it is published later this week.

We apologize for causing the problem to Visual Studio 2015 RTM users. We’ll be updating our testing infrastructure to help spot similar problems in future.

This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Critical Issue with ReSharper 9.1.2 in Visual Studio 2015 RTM: Workarounds and Estimates

1. Richard says:

Thanks for this – I was about to try to document the weirdness I’m seeing to report a bug, but someone’s beaten me to it! :)

2. Abdu says:

I am glad I read this. My caret was disappearing often and I had to click on the editor to get it back. I knew it was one of VS add-ons I have and was planning to turn them off one at a time to find the culprit.

3. I’ve been seeing crashes with the same frequency in VS2013 today. Are you sure it is not affected?

I have VS2015 installed on the same PC, and VS2013 has the newly released Update 5 installed.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Alvin, this is strange and we haven’t previously received reports of presumably related crashes of VS2013 (while at the same time receiving a lot of complaints reg. VS2015). Let’s see if a new build makes any difference in your case or if this is unrelated.

4. Ryan says:

Glad to hear about this, I thought maybe the issue was in VS2015 itself. Thanks for letting us know. I was getting the weird snteh = string keyboard typos..

5. Pingback: ReSharper 9.1.2 for Visual Studio 2015 RTM  | OPC Diary

6. Chris says:

I haven’t actually experienced this particular issue on 9.1.2 yet, but I’m still having the same issue I was with 9.1.1 with ReSharper’s keyboard shortcuts being overwritten by VS2015’s, e.g. Alt+Enter will keep resetting to opening the Properties window. Resetting the key bindings and applying the ReSharper ones fixes it temporarily, but I am having to do this several times a day as the changes won’t seem to stick.

7. Daniel says:

Nice to hear this, was already wondering if VS2015 was the issue.

8. Pingback: Dew Drop – July 24, 2015 (#2060) | Morning Dew

9. Alex Berezoutsky says:

@Chris, Sorry about that. Please fill in the report here: http://resharper-support.jetbrains.com/ – we will contact you back and try to resolve this issue.

10. Sergey says:

I have the same issue in VS 2015 RTM with ReSharper and I am happy to hear that you guys are working on that issue. Thanks!!!

11. Nick says:

VS 2015 Enterprise
    JetBrains ReSharper Ultimate 2015.1.3 Build 102.0.20150724.141603
    ReSharper C++ 1.0.20150724.155451
    ReSharper 9.1.20150724.165328

I’m seeing the following behavior:

except across Silverlight XAML pages and none of the documented workarounds work to resolve this. This is only occurring in VS 2015 RTM…didn’t happen in the RC and doesn’t occur in VS 2013.

12. Augusto Barreto says:

I did the workarounds provided in this post and then I realized that Resharper 9.1.3 is already available hehe

13. Ian Yates says:

This was driving me nuts. Frequent crashes in VS 2015 – I’ve disabled all add-ins related to Roslyn fixes, etc and had left ReSharper enabled (it was next to go) but VS still crashing a fair bit :( The inverted input (I tried searching the web but didn’t use “inverted” in my search term) has been driving me nuts to the point where I had to go back to VS 2013 for a bit. Looking forward to the new ReSharper release! :)

14. Eric Wu says:

So glad this issue was acknowledged by the Resharper team.
    When I first installed VS2015 along with it and tested out a brand-new .NET Framework 4.6 project, I could feel all the initial excitement flowing down the drain with those crazy tpyos and crashes.
    I actually had to rollback the project to continue working at VS2013. Talk about disappointment.

Thanks, JetBrains! 😀

15. Raymond de Jong says:

Great for fixing this, i was getting annoyed and was about to switch back to VS2013 thinking it was VS2015 having this issues.

Also the memory barrier is hit somewhere ~ 2.3-2.5 GB VS2015 just disappears, maybe because R# is using alot of memory. Is there an option to reduce memory usage without loosing too much functionality?

16. Stig Schmidt Nielsson says:

Have just installed R# 9.1.3 in VS2015 on Windows 10. I have the problem with the caret disappearing after applying a fix with alt enter (Check Expression for null). I have to click in the window with the mouse to get the caret sown again.

This is a showstopper for me using R# – can we get another fix?

Version info:
    Windows 10 Pro.
    Visual Studio 14.0.23107.0. (community edition)
    JetBrains ReSharper Ultimate 2015.1.3 Build 102.0.20150724.141603
    ReSharper 9.1.20150724.165328

JetBrains ReSharper Ultimate 2015.1.3 Build 102.0.20150724.141603
    ReSharper 9.1.20150724.165328

Custom Gallery:
    Application Packages:
    JetBrains Fake VisualStudio VsPackageAssembly build 14.0.0.0 on 2015-08-15 20:57:22Z.
    JetBrains Platform Core Ide build 102.0.20150724.141603 on 2015-07-24 14:16:03Z.
    JetBrains Platform Core Shell build 102.0.20150723.164539 on 2015-07-23 16:45:39Z.
    JetBrains Platform Core Text build 102.0.20150724.141603 on 2015-07-24 14:16:03Z.
    JetBrains Platform Installer build 102.0.20150724.141603 on 2015-07-24 14:16:03Z.
    JetBrains Platform Interop dotMemoryUnit.Interop build 102.0.20150724.141603 on 2015-07-24 14:16:03Z.
    JetBrains Platform Symbols build 102.0.20150724.141603 on 2015-07-24 14:16:03Z.
    JetBrains Platform VisualStudio build 102.0.20150724.141603 on 2015-07-24 14:16:03Z.
    JetBrains Psi.Features SolutionBuilder build 102.0.20150724.151455 on 2015-07-24 15:14:55Z.
    JetBrains Psi.Features src build 102.0.20150724.151455 on 2015-07-24 15:14:55Z.
    JetBrains Psi.Features Tasks build 102.0.20150724.151455 on 2015-07-24 15:14:55Z.
    JetBrains Psi.Features VisualStudio build 102.0.20150724.151455 on 2015-07-24 15:14:55Z.
    JetBrains ReSharper src build 102.0.20150724.165328 on 2015-07-24 16:53:30Z.

Visual Studio 14.0.23107.0.

Copyright © 2015 JetBrains. All rights reserved.

17. Dann says:

I just installed 9.2. Using VS15 (Enterprise) on Windows 8.1. Still having caret issues. I tried step 1 and 2 in this post, still happening. Description below:

In class/file A, I ctrl+click on the class name B (in call of B’s constructor). When I ctrl+tab back to file A, the file is scrolled back to the top, and the caret is somewhere in the window – I think it is set on the top visible line of the window before the active file changed (by ctrl+clicking).

(Ex: window (A.cs) shows line 18 – 75. Ctrl+click on class B constructor reference on line 44. ctrl+tab to go back from (B.cs) to (A.cs). Window (A.cs) shows line 1-56.5, caret on line 18.)

I also have Productivity Power Tools 2015 installed, if that matters.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Thanks for reporting, Dann. Judging by the description, this is unlikely to be related to problems that were introduced in 9.1.2 and is a more general focus issue. I’ll ask someone from the team to see if this is a known problem.

• Dann says:

Thanks Jura. For what it’s worth, this sounds similar to what this post was about so I left a comment, but I’m not entirely sure if it’s a Resharper or a Visual Studio problem. (This seemed to work get your attention, but is there a better way to report these findings, or a more related issue that I could be commenting on?)

18. Hi,

do you have any plan to develop new “plugins” for Visual Studio Code?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

AFAIK as of today, Visual Studio Code doesn’t provide an extensibility model at all. Coming up with one is a planned activity according to Microsoft but so far it is no implemented.

If and when Visual Studio Code becomes extensible, we’ll evaluate available extensibility options and see what we can do.

19. Zachary says:

I’m still getting this problem with Resharper 9.2 in Windows 10. It’s incredibly frustrating, and especially prone to behave poorly in linq lambda expressions.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Can you clarify what kind of problem you’re having?

• igorq says:

Perhaps I can because it seems that I also hit this problem.

Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 (14.0.23107.0)
        Resharper just downloaded using “download” button on the main Resharper page. When I started working I discovered that Alt+Enter doesn’t work. When I started digging I found that my installed version is 9.0.20141204.190166 which seems to be pretty old. Then to solve the problem I just visited download page once again – this time selecting “Download previous versions of ReSharper.” where I could download “JetBrains.ReSharperUltimate.2015.2-checked”. When I installed this version my missing functionality started work.
        In my case the problem which I hit was that using big “download” button on the product page I received old, broken version of the software. It was not quite easy to distinguish that my version is not latest (update check Resharper->Help->Check for updates failed with an error).

BTW: for production I still use my old license for R# 8.2 (with VS2013) for now I am evaluating idea to migrate to VS2015.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

This is really weird and I have not encountered anything like this before.

My best guess is that a previously cached version of the page that opens after you click “download” has somehow stuck. Unfortunately problems like these are very difficult to reproduce.

Apologies

20. Tomasz Pluskiewicz says:

I’m also still having the disappearing caret problem in R# 9.2 on Windows 8.1 and VS 2015 Community

21. Nuri Yılmaz says:

I got it.
    I will never use anything else except Visual Studio.
    Finish.

22. Nathan Alden, Sr. says:

I still experience this issue in Visual Studio 2015 with ReSharper 10. After ReSharper’s IntelliSense window appears and I make a selection using the keyboard, sometimes the focus will inexplicably change to the Properties tool window.