ReSharper 10 critical issues and fix schedule

Following the release of ReSharper 10.0 last week, we have received a great deal of feedback, and unfortunately a lot of it was negative.

Upon analyzing the feedback, it looks like unit testing is the most affected area. Hot issues include the Output pane in Unit Test Sessions that might not show any results upon running your tests (RSRP-450266), as well as Visual Studio hanging when you debug MSTest-based tests (RSRP-449577). Both issues are going to be fixed in the next bugfix update, 10.0.1, that we expect to release soon, hopefully this week.

Speaking of other problem areas, ReSharper 10.0 is known to show red code in some perfectly compilable Universal Windows Platform (UWP) projects (RSRP-450057, a private build and workarounds are available in comments to the issue). This is already fixed internally, and a fix is also going to make it into 10.0.1.

We’ve seen license activation issues related to connecting your ReSharper installations to your JetBrains Accounts but these were hopefully fixed with a redeployment of the JetBrains Account application early last week. If you’re still experiencing license related issues with ReSharper 10, make sure to read this article for ways to resolve or work around them.

We’re also fixing miscellaneous performance problems as soon as we can reproduce them. Particularly, heavy performance issues that could affect all kinds of web sites and web applications were fixed and a fix will be available in 10.0.1.

Apart from the bugfix update (10.0.1) that we’re hoping to roll out as soon as possible, we have another update (10.0.2) scheduled for mid-December that will target any considerable regressions left following 10.0.1.

Apologies for the struggle caused by 10.0 to many of you. If necessary, you can revert to ReSharper 9.2 or another recent release until we’ve released the upcoming update.

This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to ReSharper 10 critical issues and fix schedule

1. Urs Meili says:

I notice that, after almost every new R# release, the Unit Test runner is broken somehow, and it take one or two bugfix releases until it can be used again. perhaps jetbrains should put some more test resources into this seemingly sensitive area?
    BTW, with VS2015 Update 1 RC, the unit test runner doesn’t seem to work anymore at all, VS just hangs indefinitely as soon as a test is running (see https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RSRP-450491)

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Urs, thanks for the link, we’re looking at your issue as well. Looks like a fix has already been made but we’ll need to verify.

Also, it would be stupid to deny that we do have quality problems with major updates from time to time. Luckily we maintain meaningful bugfix update schedules to address that. Also, in this particular case a strict release deadline related to the Nov 2 licensing scheme switch didn’t really help as you can imagine.

• Rory says:

Another solid example of why hard deadlines are bad for good software.

• Eddie Velasquez says:

I agree 100%. Its understandable that business reasons mandate hard deadlines… but how is it good for business to release a version so buggy that it’s unusable for a large number of customers; let alone any potential customers that might not even consider the product because of reliability issues?

• Robert Noack says:

Come on guys, this is the new JetBrains management. We should expect more bad decisions in the future. Just don’t upgrade on day 1 and I’m sure it will be ok.

2. Hines Vaughan says:

Looking forward to a fix for performance issues with .cshtml files mostly, in my case.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Thanks for your patience, Hines.
      Performance in web projects is already fixed to a reasonable extent, the nearest update will incorporate the fixes.

• Hines Vaughan says:

Mr. Jura Gorohovsky,

Just installed ReSharper 10.0.1 and all of the performance problems seem to be completely fixed! Thanks for the quick turn around.

3. Matthew Nichols says:

Great to see you folks are on top of it. Looking forward to the patch.

I also noticed that NUnit’s TestCases are not working as before. I will file a bug on that.

4. tobi says:

Please think about how you can improve the quality of major versions. I have learned to wait a few weeks. Most major R# versions come with major issues. In fact I was hit by a bug this time that left me unable to start unit tests. Was forced to downgrade.

And please don’t push the next major version as aggressively through the update notification. Let it cook for a few weeks until most bugs are gone. You are just pushing bugs to happy customers and are making them unhappy.

• tobi says:

Something’s wrong with your dogfooding or your early access channel. Why are those early access users not finding these bugs?! Are they too few or not representative?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Unfortunately at this point we have very limited control whether notifications come out or not (RSRP-450589), which is a shame and can hopefully change going forward. More stability for major releases would solve the underlying problem, no doubt about that, but I should say in this particular case we’ve been hit by a combination of a hard deadline and a mix of other unfortunate circumstances.

We’re not too happy with the release ourselves, this is why we’re making this notice and pushing it to make customers aware that the life span of their most pressing issues with v10 is limited and we’re working on a bugfix.

Anyway, apologies for causing you trouble.

5. trailmax says:

I concur with the previous comments – Jetbrains teaches us not to go for the first major release, wait for a couple of patches to be out, then wait another couple weeks and only then upgrade. And what is the deal with 2 major versions in a year? What is the rush?

Oh, wait you used to charge people for major versions, so the more you crank out, the more you collect. But now you have subscription licence, so this is no longer applicable (if I understand it correctly).
    So why do you push beta-product to your (pissed-off) customers?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Well traditionally we’re pulling out 1 major version per year, more or less. The gap between v8 and v9 was unusual (17 months if I remember correctly) but v9 > v10 went in a more traditional interval of 11 months.

Given that ReSharper has had two licensing schemes running concurrently for years (one of which would qualify you for a year of any upgrades and the other only made you eligible to updates within the current major version), we had to somehow keep both camps more or less happy, and rolling out several majors per year would have gone all the way to making one of the camps totally mad. In other words, no, this wasn’t the question of cranking out.

This past year before v10 came out, we’ve rolled out 3 substantial releases (9, 9.1, 9.2) and bug fixes to them. This is the pace that we had planned to maintain, and we’re currently evaluating if we want to keep this intact or limit ourselves to, say, 2 substantial updates per year: call them major or not, it doesn’t really matter anymore with the new subscriptions.

We’re not always happy with how substantial updates turn out. 9.2 earlier this year was pretty stable despite multiple changes but 10.0 has been hit with issues as described above: in part due to a hard deadline and devs not always catching up with QA, in part due to something that I’d call bad luck.

Anyway, we’re fixing things and fixes are going public soon. Sorry for pissing you off (using your own terms) and hoping to keep having you on board.

• trailmax says:

OK, hard deadlines are never good in software development. Maybe there should be a post explaining why there was a hard deadline.
        I’m sure this was upper-mangement decision. Well, pass them them a message saying that users hate them for buggy experience. Now let’s hope the upcoming hotfix will address the most severe issues.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

The upcoming hotfix (expected today) will certainly address the most severe issues.

However blaming the upper management doesn’t do justice as well. We had to update all products on November 2 in order to make them work with the new subscription licensing. All affected teams have fairly agreed on that date in advance. It’s not like the date has been imposed without any reason with on a short notice. The issues with ReSharper 10 RTM were due to a variety of factors, and putting all the blame on a hard deadline isn’t quite the right thing to do.

• Mark says:

I want to echo the comment about wanting to see some rationale behind the hard release and the choices made for pushing the release anyways given the state of the project. I would also like to see some sort of discussion around your classification around defect types. I know for a fact that I reported several of these issues during the EAP and I’m relatively sure that there were several “Show-Stopper” defects in your tracking software. It really does not seem that anything was going to stop the show on this release.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Mark, in our issue tracking practice, marking a request as a “show-stopper” doesn’t always imply blocking a release: the classification is simply used to highlight the highest possible severity.

6. Pingback: ReSharper 10 にクリティカルなバグ、今週中にアップデートされる見込み | OPC Diary

7. Pingback: The Morning Brew - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #1964

8. Pingback: The Morning Brew - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #1965

9. Pingback: Drupal 6 EOL, Fixes für ReSharper 10 & Opera 34 Beta

10. Pingback: Dew Drop – November 10, 2015 (#2129) | Morning Dew

11. Nevin says:

Not sure about 10.0 but R# often has red underlined and errors according to its own analysis that compiles just fine. A moderately complicated (deep object graph) wsdl will almost guarantee this as well as numerous crashes of VS.

12. Oisin G. says:

It seems you went straight from EAP 10 to RTW without a beta or RC… EAPs are too scary for most it seems; I think you may catch more pre-release issues by tagging your penultimate build as a beta or RC? Or did I miss something?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Absolutely. The EAP > Beta > RC usually works great in terms of gradually expanding the user base before RTM. It works when there’s time to set it all up. We didn’t have any time this time unfortunately.

• We didn’t have any time this time unfortunately.”

“We didn’t have any time to actually care about our customers and our product.”

Fixed that for you. This response is utterly embarrassing and you should feel bad, especially when you clearly told the truth.

• Seriously?! Chris is right, that’s ludicrous. “We didn’t have time” is just not an excuse when there are obviously so many issues with this major release. Surely a beta release would have been better than letting so many people down?

• Giorgio Galante says:

I don’t have time to kill VS2013 10 times a day because you didn’t follow your own internal protocol for the sake of a bad upper management decision.

I’m starting to regret the $249 I spent on my “beta quality” subscription.

Of course it won’t be upper management that pays for this in any meaningful way – it’ll be the JetBrains developers who have to work long hours this week(end?) to fix these issues posthaste.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Giorgio, as stated in comments above, oversimplifying by putting all the blame on a hard deadline, as enticing as it may be, simply doesn’t do justice to anyone. That was a factor but just one of many.

• Giorgio Galante says:

Without the hard deadline you don’t ship a productivity crippling productivity tool. Full Stop.

Do any other factors really come into play? It’s 10am and VS has already frozen on me twice.

13. The test runner is awful. I really don’t know what i was thinking that i believed maybe i could finally trust a resharper major build on launch. The test runner is about 30% of why i pay money to you.

Of course I upgraded because resharper 9 fell back into the never ended bug that resharper stops working entirely, thinks good code won’t compile. Guess i’m going to waste more time of my day to downgrade to 9.

14. Jim Masters says:

Hi, I don’t know if anyone noticed, but once the light bulb of change signature appears – once I click one line above the method declaration, it opens the Visual Studio change of signature window instead of ReSharper change signature window. This is quite anoying for me since the light bulb is from ReSharper. I needed to add the command to the Bar to open the ReSharper change signature window. Will this be fixed or not? I am using ReSharper 10 with Visual Studio 2015.

Hi Jim,

This is currently by design in Visual Studio 2015.

Visual Studio 2015 exposes its Change Signature refactoring as a quick action (provides a light bulb to invoke the refactoring.) On the other hand, ReSharper doesn’t expose its version of Change Signature as a quick-fix unless you have modified a signature by hand and then press Alt+Enter.

Meanwhile, ReSharper integrates all Visual Studio’s quick actions that it doesn’t override into its own quick-fix menu. Here’s how it looks like: in the image, the bottom action (a yellow bulb with a Visual Studio logo to the left of it) is actually a Visual Studio quick action integrated into ReSharper’s quick-fix menu.

This is basically why you get to see Visual Studio’s Change Signature refactoring when you’re Alt+Enter’ing your code.

To invoke ReSharper’s version of Change Signature, you can use ReSharper’s Refactor This shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+R) or the ReSharper > Refactor menu.

15. Mario De Schaepmeester says:

On a more positive note, I have already noticed quite a boost in performance with the unit test runner (at least for NUnit). It may be half crippled in features for the moment, but it certainly is fast.

Tests start getting green from the second you issue a “run tests” command, rather than staying on “pending” for a while. Also the whole batch seems to complete quicker.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Thanks for letting us know, Mario.

We have introduced a new tree control for the unit test runner that was supposed to make test feedback quicker, so I assume the speedup can be attributed to that. The control however hasn’t been cleaned up properly for the initial v10 release, therefore the issues with the unit test runner. Hopefully things are going to work way better in 10.0.1 that’s due later today.

16. I have to say some perf issues are actually gone.
    At least I can confirm that major bug requests I submitted for 9.x are fixed.

As for the missing output in the output window, a possible workaround would be opening the stack trace window for a failing test. There is a button “Show Stack Trace in a new window”.

17. Henrik Nordhaus says:

We have just bought 10 licenses for my development team. The feedback from the team is “This is a disaster! This is not even a BETA Version!”. Feel ashamed for releasing such a buggy version!

Henrik

18. nz says:

We didn’t have any time this time unfortunately.

This is a true disaster, JetBrains. You know that your product is not finished and far from RTM, but you decide to ship it to customers. Absolutely unacceptable !!! If your mission is to ruin your customers’ confidence in your product and your company, then you are well on the way!

19. Martin says:

Any ETA for the bugfix release?

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

We’re expecting the bugfix today.

• Mario De Schaepmeester says:

I hope it isn’t what I just downloaded. Practically everything is broken now. It colors the system namespace red, I don’t get intellisense at all, and R# doesn’t find any unit tests.

• Jan Prause says:

Same problem with the namespaces here. It marks some System or VisualStudio namespaces red and even removing namespaces and letting ReSharper add the missing namespaces didn’t help.

• Mario De Schaepmeester says:

Well, I might have been too quick. There was _another_ update, and now everything is fine. And unit tests are working normally again as promised. Thanks JetBrains :)

• Charles Bretana says:

_Another Update_ ??? After 10.0.1 ?? If so, how do I get it ? Does ot fix the “Inclonclusive, test Not run for nUnit tests using configs in subdirectory” issue?

20. Konrad Zieliński says:

Running tests from project folder is still broken in 10.0.1 . It runs all the test like 10.0.0

• Mister Pants says:

I can confirm that this is still a bug in 10.0.1. I burned several hours on this today.

• Jim Masters says:

Yes, I can confirm this too. Also unit test runner is slower comparing ReSharper 7 about 3 to 4 times.

• Dominic St-Jacques says:

I just installed Resharper 10.0.2 over Resharper 8 on VS2013 and I notice the same slowness reported while running NUnit tests! Unit tests seem to “pause” for a while before restarting. I’m set to run “Up to 1 assemblies in parallel” with separate AppDomain and Shadow-copy…

21. Manuel says:

Come on guys!!!
    VISUAL STUDIO 2015.U1 RC + R#10.0.1
    After 10-15 minutes developing in a ASP.NET 5 MVC 6 RC.1 solution/project… Visual Studio complete crashed!!!!!
    Without or disabled R#: Working!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… Fix this and other specially MVC/Razor issues!!!
    I’ll go crazy…

• Andy says:

Same issues, resharper is unbelievably slow with an ASP.NET 5 project, 30-40 seconds to do a rename in typescript. Processing/updating files very slow, looks like it’s pulling in all “node_modules” and “bower_components” under VS project dependencies but cannot seem to exclude as they are not “part of the project”. On a typescript rename today it also tried to rename 2 fields in an xml file deep within bower components, as we use kendo ui it probably doing lots of unnecessary work.

• Chris says:

There seems to a be a size threshold on the MVC apps where the performance becomes a problem. At work, our ~100 project solution that drives an MVC 5 app is unusable with R10.0.1 and VS2015. I had to uninstall and revert to R9, at which point the problems go away. Also, R9 works fine with VS2015 so, while not ideal, this is a decent short term solution.

However, I have a small MVC 5 app on another machine, with six projects and a small cshtml footprint running beautifully in VS2015 and R10.0.1. I don’t know the complexity of projects required to cause problems but it seems clear that threshold exists.

• Alexander Kurakin says:

@Manuel, please try installing R# 10.0.2 EAP3 build https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/ReSharper/ReSharper+10.0.2+EAP and check the crash there. Thanks!

22. Jeff Hansen says:

When running unit tests, it seems ReSharper wants it to build every time? Is this a known bug?

23. Nicolai says:

Hi,

I had alot of red code in my solution as well when I upgraded to Vs2015 with R# Ultimate. I tryed multiple times to delete the caches but nothing worked. The workarround is to unload my modelling project wich contains some layer diagrams. Since then all red code is gone!

Looking forward for next patch

24. Alex says:

The strange bug appears when I run just 1 test selected.
    I believe it runs some other tests. In some cases it seems it runs nearly all the tests when I just asked to run a selected test.
    Very disappointed thinking to revert back.

25. Alan Taylor says:

The unit test runner in 10.0.2 seems to be broken (big surprise!).
    When running my tests, some work normally but now two of the test projects (NUnit 2.6.4) never end – the green ball keeps spinning and CPU usage in Task Manager is consistent, so it appears to be doing something.
    The tests run fine in the CodeRush test runner.

26. GFoley83 says:

Here we are on Jan 16th and ReSharper 10 is still un-usable. Bought two brand new licenses yesterday which cost a few hundred dollars. Installed on new installations of VS 2015 and crashes on startup every time. Absolutely disgraceful.

27. Jos Krause says:

I have to agree with the comments above. When running tests it just runs ALL tests in a project, not the one selected, you then have to select the test from the Unit Test Runner treeview node and right click to actually reduce the session tests that are being run, clueless why this is happening, furthermore regardless of settings applied it ALWAYS builds the entire GD solution and it ALWAYS runs the builds in Debug mode.

The amount of time wasted just waiting accumulating nothing but frustration instead of test results is beyond baffling, 10.0.2 does NOT fix ANY issues with regard to the Test Runner!

Now I am going to embrace the weekend, hopefully a new patch will be available that finally fixes this nightmare.

Don’t make me sad Jetbrains! I <3 Resharper, you are hurting me inside!

Hi Jos,

Apologies for causing a subpar experience with the runner.

In order to see whether what we have here is a known issue and/or whether there’s a workaround, we need to know which test framework you’re using, how exactly you’re running the tests (using a menu or context menu, or a hot key), and whether you’re using ReSharper Build or Visual Studio’s native build mechanics.

Thanks in advance for clarifying the above.

28. Mandar says:

Tried R# 10.0.1 10.0.2 locks up VS 2013 after a simple rebuild of the solution. With and without the R# build feature. Tried profiler as requested that fails too with some silly xml document error or hangs while sending attachments so posting here now. Is testing no longer a part of product development at JetBrains? And I am using a 12GB 8CPU with gigabit network and I was able to work fine with release R# 9.2. This is the second time I am rolling back to R#9.2. Uggh!

29. DA says:

I tried v10 on Dec 7 2015 and it froze VS all the time. I had to revert to 9.

I just tried it again today and bam freeze. First freeze of VS since December.

Love having open, unsaved files which I can’t reach…

Really pissed. Don’t know why we buy licenses for this pain, and the license activation issue each time we go to 10…

30. ETR says:

Resharper is a piece of garbage for unit tests.
    I don’t know why anyone would pay money for this tool.

1 It’s slow to discover tests
    2 When I start a test there’s no indication it’s actually started.
    3 No way to kill these maybe running test sessions
    4 It’s all around useless.

31. JP says:

I often get “Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working” when I do a Rename.
    Also since Resharper is installed VS is waiting for a modal window, which I don’t see. I can still enter characters, but enter/backspace/del/ctrl/alt keys do not function anymore.