Advocates on Rider – Uncovering the IDE That Gets You Places – Webinar Recording
The recording of our June 25 webinar, Advocates on Rider – Uncovering the IDE That Gets You Places, with our developer advocates Rachel, Matthias, Matt, Khalid and Maarten, is now available. Subscribe to our community newsletter to receive notifications about future webinars.
In this webinar, join JetBrains .NET developer advocates Rachel, Khalid, Matthias, Matt and Maarten, who will be demoing Rider. They will show you their favourite tips and tricks, uncovering how they work with Rider. Expect smooth navigating through a code base, writing and editing code, inspections, a look at debugging, ASP.NET Core, database functionality, and much more.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:26 Toolbox
- 2:25 Shift,Shift and Alt+Enter
- 13:22 Code Completion and Postfix Templates
- 20:02 Inspections
- 46:04 Navigation
- 1:02:11 Refactoring
- 1:07:46 Debugging
- 1:33:00 Source Control
- 1:43:20 Tooling, NuGet, Dynamic Program Analysis
- 1:53:45 Cloud (Azure)
- 2:00:20 Wrap up
- Rider and Rider EAP (Early Access Preview)
- JetBrains Toolbox App
- .NET Guide with more tips, tricks and tutorials
- JetBrains TV on YouTube
- Curated list of Rider content
- Cognitive Complexity plugin
- Heap Allocations Viewer plugin
Questions & Answers:
- Q: Is it possible to configure, the layout or position of the Search Everywhere pop-up windows?
A: You can drag them around if you want, and they will remain there for most of the time. Same with resizing.
- Q: Are there any plans for rider to support SpecFlow?
A: At some point, yes. Feel free to subscribe to https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RIDER-9750 for status updates.
- Q: With regards to the feature with `.if` and `.not`, is there a list of things that you can do at the end of a statement?
A: Absolutely! Checkout https://www.jetbrains.com/help/rider/Postfix_Templates.html#list for the full list of Postfix templates.
- Q: Is it possible to drag & drop elements at the structure window?
A: Not right now, but it is a fairly popular issue. You can vote and track it here: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RIDER-10911
- Q: Is there any template for element creation, like properties and fields, similar to `ctor`?
A: You can use the `prop` live template to create an auto-property, but there isn’t one for field. You can easily add one for yourself in the Live Templates | C# options page. You can also use macros to do some amazing things.
- Q: When I have a database project in VS I can double click the `publish.xml` file to open a Publish Database window and publish the DB to SQL Server. Can I do something similar in Rider?
A: Not currently, at least with the same `publish.xml`. The database tool window shares its functionality with DataGrip (https://www.jetbrains.com/datagrip/), and there are some alternative publishing/diffing/syncing options. A previous webinar is available at https://blog.jetbrains.com/datagrip/2017/06/20/working-with-sql-and-databases-in-intellij-based-ides-webinar-follow-up/
- Q: I have custom color scheme for my code. How can i share this scheme between multiple workstations?
A: Check the IDE settings sync that is available. This will use either your JetBrains account, or a custom repository. https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/sharing-your-ide-settings.html
- Q: It looks like Matthias has some sort of code complexity display “simple enough (0%)” in the code vision inline display above the method. How do I get those?
A: That’s the Cognitive Complexity plugin https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/12024-cognitivecomplexity
- Q: Is there a consolidate package option in NuGet to find the packages that are causing warnings?
A: Not yet, but you can track and vote for this issue: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RIDER-12587
P.S.: Join us Thursday, July 9, 2020, 16:00 – 17:00 CEST (10:00 AM – 11:00 AM EDT or check other timezones) for our free live webinar, How to stop worrying and adopt nullable reference types, with Andrey Dyatlov.