Services tool window: One place to rule them all

As you are developing your awesome software, you probably need to create a bunch of run/debug configurations, including some for application servers. You also might need several Docker containers to test your code in various environments, maybe a container with a database as your backend, and a console to see what is going on in the database. All of these “entities” serve different purposes and were previously managed via dedicated tool windows. IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2 introduces the Services tool window to combine everything in one place: View | Tool Windows | Services or press Alt + 8 (on Windows and Linux) or Cmd + 8 (on macOS).

Services tool window

The tool window automatically pops up when you run something related to a managed service (for example, run a Docker container). However, in case of run/debug configurations, you have to specify which types you want to be available in the Services tool window. For this, go to Run | Edit Configurations, select Templates, and add necessary configuration types to the Configurations available in Services list.

Configurations available in the Services tool window

Services are grouped by type for easier navigation. You can also create separate tabs for custom groups of services, for example, those you use more often or which relate to a specific development task. Just select and drag the necessary services to the toolbar.

Services tool window tabs

For a more focused view, you can hide the services tree. It is replaced by a services navigation bar and leaves more viewing space for the currently selected service.

Hide services tree

Every item in the services tree has a set of buttons, generally to start/stop, configure, remove whatever is selected, and so on. These actions are the same as were used in the corresponding dedicated tool windows.

The Services tool window is also available in the IntelliJ platform API for plugin developers to include their functionality in it.

For more information, see the Services tool window topic in the documentation.

Be sure to download and try out all the new features in IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2.

Submit bug reports and feature requests to our YouTrack project.

Develop with pleasure!

This entry was posted in New Features and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Services tool window: One place to rule them all

1. ADEV says:

Please add a way to split the view so we can see 2 configurations side by side

this was requested for regular Run window

and this is again ignored for the new Service window..

i’m not mono-task, i want to multi-task and see multiple screens at once

i am forced to use an external terminal and split the view there to be able to control 2 configuration at once on same window

2. Peter says:

I am using IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate 2019.2, but I cannot find Services view. Do I need some extra plugin to enable it?

• R. G. says:

I might appear the first time one runs something. Something that is expected by the IDE to run in that tool.

We have a project with spring boot 1.5 and it appears
      We have a project with and old servlet spring 4.3 and there it doesn’t show.

Since it was recently added to the IDE it’s the first prototype version, I would expect to have it useful and usable in real life projects after 4 or 8 months patch, the same happened with the profiler, http client and some gradle stuff.

• Alexey Zhebel says:

• Star says:

You have to go to Run | Edit Configurations, select Templates, and add necessary configuration types to the Configurations available in Services list first, then you can see it pops out or press Alt+8 for Windows. Hope it’s useful for you.

3. Robert says:

Even with the new functionality, I don’t think the very generic term “Services” is a good fit. If “Run Dashboard” is too specific, what about “Runtime” or “Operations”? The tab should be enabled by default, I’ve been looking for quite a while to find it, after the last Rider update.

4. Vitali Plagov says:

Does the ‘Show Services Tree’ command appear for all services? I added ‘Cucumber Java’ template to services but can’t find that command. Screenshot: https://ibb.co/5K5hFzD

• Konstantin Aleev says:

Yes, it appears for all services, but the action was added in 2019.2.1. Please, consider to update to the latest version if you are in 2019.2.

5. Pim Hazebroek says:

Maybe it’s just me, but the shortcut doesn’t seem to be assigned in my case. I use the default OS X keymap.

6. Steve Hanger says:

Is there a support to register services into this window for plugin writers?

7. Martin Jones says:

Hi, the services tool window is missing in the menu
    View -> Tool Windows -> ?? it’s not there.
    I have Structure cmd 7 followed by Version Control cmd 9.

Also key cmd 8 doesn’t activate the services.

IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2.1 (Ultimate Edition)
    Build #IU-192.6262.58, built on August 20, 2019
    Licensed to *****
    Subscription is active until February 4, 2020
    Runtime version: 11.0.3+12-b304.39 x86_64
    VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
    macOS 10.14.6
    GC: ParNew, ConcurrentMarkSweep
    Memory: 1981M
    Cores: 8
    Registry: analyze.exceptions.on.the.fly=true, debugger.showTypes=false
    Non-Bundled Plugins: net.seesharpsoft.intellij.plugins.csv, org.jetbrains.idea.grammar, JRebelPlugin, BashSupport, ccom.intellij.idea.plugin.hybris.impex, com.jetbrains.lang.ejs, com.jetbrains.php, intellij.prettierJS, Pythonid, ru.adelf.idea.dotenv

8. Helen Tomoik says:

I love this window! But getting it to appear is not at all intuitive. Somehow Rider also forgets my settings for it so I have literally googled for this page at least three times.

The steps to configure which types of run profiles can appear in the services don’t make sense. The left-hand side of the “Run/Debug configurations” window looks like a collection of folders – “.NET launch settings profile”, “.NET Project”, “Templates” etc. Four out of the five I see are literally just folders. But the last one, “Templates”, has settings of its own! How am I supposed to figure that out?
    I should be able to select a template like “.NET launch settings profile” and then check a box to make it appear in “Services”, instead of this weird flow.

9. Paolo says:

I find the service window very annoying. It took over the run window and I cannot find a way to switch it off. How to show Run instead of the service window?

• Konstantin Aleev says:

For this, go to Run | Edit Configurations, select Templates, and remove necessary configuration types from the Configurations available in Services list.

10. Yuri says:

Now each time I open a database table in PhpStorm this annoying Services appears. I hate it. How can I disable it?

• Konstantin Aleev says:

Hello, Yuri. Please, follow the issue: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-221730

• Richard "Virgo" Richter says:

It’s not only about focus and reopening Services panel. I personally like Services, but don’t appreciate that Database connections are there. It doesn’t give me anything, I don’t run them or stop them like applications, I like Database panel that already exists, and result tables share space with services tree.
        Also databases for me pollute other runnable stuff I want to see.

• Alexey Zhebel says:

Hi Richard!

If you have a database connection configured, it makes sense that you have that node. If you don’t want it, remove the DB source.

As an alternative, you can drag any node(s) from the Services view to a separate tab. This is made specifically for that case: when you want to have only the stuff you are currently interested in.

• Dmitriy Barbul says:

Agree with Richard. As to me this is inconvenient.
            Is there any way to open new database “services” in tabs instead of tree by default?

11. Yurii says:

I use:
    IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2.4 (Ultimate Edition)
    Build #IU-192.7142.36, built on October 29, 2019

How can I return ‘Database’ tab back to ‘Run Dashboard’?
    I accidentally moved it from ‘Run Dashboard’ services tree to separate tab and cannot find a way to bring it back.

First thing that I did was going to “Edit configurations -> Templates” but I couldn’t find db related stuff there.

• Alexey Zhebel says:

You can remove the separate tab where you moved the Database node and it will appear in the main Services view again. This is by design: any item of the Services tree that you move to a separate tab is hidden from the main Services tree.