New TeamCity Notifier browser extension
We are eager to present the new TeamCity Notifier extension that allows receiving real-time notifications about build statuses and events directly in your browser.
The extension is available for Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome (including all Chromium-based browsers such as Microsoft Edge).
- Notifications appear directly in a browser where TeamCity itself is run.
- The extension works instantly after enabling it in a browser: it automatically detects an active TeamCity session and seamlessly authenticates on the server.
- By click, each notification redirects to the related TeamCity page.
- Multiple parallel TeamCity servers are supported.
- Notification rules are easily customizable and work similarly to other rules in TeamCity.
- History of notifications is available in the OS notification area. You get a similar experience on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Note that Browser Notifier aims at replacing our obsolete Windows Tray Notifier and automatically uses all rules configured for it, if any. The My Settings & Tools | Notification Rules | Windows Tray Notifier tab in TeamCity is renamed to Browser Notifier.
How to enable
Follow these steps to start using the Notifier:
- Download and enable the extension for your browser:
- Open your TeamCity server and sign into it.
The extension will automatically detect the TeamCity session and change the icon from the inactive () to active state (). Click the icon to check that notifications are enabled.
- The Notifier relies on your custom notification rules configured in TeamCity. If no rules are specified, you won’t be able to receive any notifications. To add or modify a rule, click Edit rules opposite the server URL. You will be redirected to the My Settings & Tools | Notification Rules | Browser Notifier tab of your TeamCity user settings.
How it works
After detecting an active TeamCity session, the Notifier will be monitoring the server and reporting events in real time similarly to how regular notifications work in your OS and browser:
Click on the notification to get to the related TeamCity build page.
Moreover, you can see the history of TeamCity notifications in your OS notification area. For example, on Windows, click in the lower right corner of the screen to access it:
If you are signed into multiple TeamCity servers in the same browser, the extension will be ready to support this case. The Notifier remembers each detected session and automatically disables/enables notifications for it when you – respectively – sign off/into this server. You can manage all sessions after clicking the Notifier icon or in its Options.
Try out the new extension and leave your feedback on our forum or issue tracker.
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!