Project Rider – A C# IDE

UPDATE: NDC London organizers have kindly uploaded the recording of Project Rider presentation. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2: Make sure to follow Project Rider on twitter to receive further updates promptly.

UPDATE 3: We have opened a form for you to subscribe to take part in Project Rider Early Access Program. To everyone who subscribes, we will be sending links to Project Rider builds as soon as they are ready.

Today, at NDC London, we announced a new project that we’ve been working on for a little while – a cross-platform C# IDE, based on the IntelliJ Platform and using ReSharper technology.

Under the codename Project Rider, the IDE includes a lot of functionality that you are already familiar with from ReSharper and IntelliJ-based IDE’s, such as Quick Fixes, Inspections, and Smart Navigation. And while ReSharper is hosted inside Visual Studio, Project Rider is a full, standalone IDE.

While it’s still quite early, the following features are already available:

Navigation – smart navigation is a major feature of JetBrains IDEs, and Project Rider is no different, offering the standard Go To Type, Go To File, and integrating with IntelliJ Platform’s “Search Everywhere” feature to go to symbols, types, files and even search in settings and actions.

Rider Search Everywhere popup

The Navigate To popup menu is also available, giving access to navigate base/derived symbols in a class hierarchy, or to find usages, with the results displayed in the standard IDE tool window.

Rider Navigate To context menu
Rider Find Usages results

Editing – a wide range of smart editing features are implemented, from typing assist, such as inserting braces and automatic formatting, to Live Templates (including ReSharper 10’s postfix templates), quick info tooltips and gutter icons for inheritance navigation, context actions and so on.

Rider editing

Inspections – most of the inspections supported by ReSharper are displayed as errors, warnings, suggestions and hints in the editor. This includes red code for unresolved symbols, and underline highlights for code issues, and so on.

Rider inspections

Alt+Enter – no JetBrains IDE would be complete without Alt+Enter support, and most of the menu items from ReSharper’s quick fixes and context actions are available. Project Rider also supports applying bulk actions to a whole file, and changing the severity of an inspection directly from the menu.

Rider's Alt+Enter menu

Refactorings – a limited set of refactorings are available. Most refactorings require a user interface of some kind, and these haven’t been implemented yet. Project Rider can rename symbols and introduce/inline variable, as well as rewrite code in response to Alt+Enter on an inspection highlight.

Rider introduce variable

Decompiler – if you try to navigate to a type that you don’t have the source to, we’ll decompile it for you, and display what the C# source would like look.

Of course, as a standalone IDE, it also brings many other features to the table:

• Multiple runtime support. Project Rider supports the .NET Framework and Mono, with CoreCLR support in the works. It can load MSBuild and Mono XBuild solutions, as well as DNX projects. It also includes templates for creating new projects. And when you create an empty project, it’s really empty!

Rider new project templates

• Build, run and debug. One of the most important features of an IDE is debugging, and Project Rider is no exception. It can build and run .NET Framework, Mono and DNX projects, and can debug .NET and Mono apps – DNX debugging and CoreCLR support are coming. Any build errors are displayed in a Build tool window, and the Debug tool window is used for call stacks, variables and watch windows.
  • Cross platform. As well as running and debugging multiple runtimes, Project Rider itself runs on multiple platforms. It runs on Windows and Mac OS X (Linux too, but it’s mostly untested right now).

How does it work?

Project Rider is a standalone IDE built on the IntelliJ Platform, much like WebStorm, DataGrip and our other IDEs.

The difference however, is that instead of reimplementing ReSharper’s features on the IntellIJ Platform, which runs on the JVM, we’re using ReSharper in a headless mode, out of process, and communicating with it via a very fast custom binary protocol. As such, the backend continues to be ReSharper written in C# running on .NET or Mono, and the frontend is written in Kotlin, talking to the IntelliJ Platform’s APIs.

We’ll take a more in-depth look at the implementation details in a future blog post.

Why have we created a C# IDE?

Well you kept asking us, so we finally got around to doing it!

Jokes aside though, our main reason is to provide choice. We believe that we can provide a great user experience for developers that might be interested in using alternative environments.

So why now? Because we believe it is the right time due to several factors:

• We’ve been working for several years in allowing ReSharper to work in different environments, independently of Visual Studio. An example of this is dotPeek.
  • It’s quite clear that there’s an ever increasing tendency of developers using non-Windows platforms, and we’d like to give them the same experience they’ve come to know and love with ReSharper.
  • Finally, Microsoft moving its platform and C# language towards Open Source, along with initiatives such as CoreCLR, have been an added incentive.

What does this mean for ReSharper?

ReSharper is still the number one extension for Visual Studio, and one of our flagship products. The fact that Project Rider is using ReSharper reinforces our commitment to ReSharper, as any updates to ReSharper mutually benefit not only ReSharper but Project Rider also. In addition, we’re hoping some of the work we’ve put into Project Rider can feed back into ReSharper.

In essence, Project Rider will only increase the efforts we put into ReSharper.

What will the licensing model be?

While it’s too early right now to comment on the specific details, the licensing model will be inline with our other products from the JetBrains Toolbox. We will take into account the many usage scenarios that might occur, when establishing pricing, such as someone wanting to use both tools, etc.

We hope to have the pricing information soon.

Roadmap

We’re starting out on the road to 1.0. We’re confident of the architecture, and believe we’ve built a good foundation to implement the features we want to see in a 1.0 release. We’ve got a lot of functionality already implemented, but we’ve still got a lot that we need to build.

We’re aiming to open a private EAP in the coming weeks, towards the end of February. We’ll announce the signup form here on the blog, as well as on Twitter.

Soon after the private EAP we’ll move to a public EAP. When this will happen very much depends on the feedback we get from the early testers. Our aim is to release sometime in Autumn 2016.

We are very excited with Project Rider and hope you share the excitement. If you have any questions, please, ask away. And don’t forget to follow @JetBrainsRider for updates!

P.S. Of course, if you’re at NDC London this week, pop over to the booth and we’ll be happy to show you Project Rider in action!

This entry was posted in News and Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

267 Responses to Project Rider – A C# IDE

1. Dave Huntley says:

Awesome work guys. This is great to hear. Get the licencing right and this will be a huge win for .net devs. The money saved in VS licences alone should justify the move to DNX.

• Joe torres says:

Agreed. And also the competition shold benefit VS and Rider.

• Josh Nicholson says:

The argument that VisualStudio is an expensive choice is no longer valid with the GREAT “Community Editions” that Visual Studio is now available in. I ditched Professional and Ultimate a while ago. I doubt that Project Rider will be a significantly better IDE than Visual Studio Community Edition w/Resharper. Of course, as a Mac guy (who is currently running VS 2015 Community Edition w/Resharper in Parallels VM) I’d be psyched to see this new IDE. But as a day-to-day user of both WebStorm on the Mac and Visual Studio w/Resharper on Windows (via Parallels), I can tell you that Visual Studio is the better IDE, hands down.

• Ramon de Klein says:

I couldn’t agree more. The only uses that really benefit from this are the non-Windows developers, but I guess most of the .NET developers have a Windows box. But competition is good and I will certainly take a look…

PS: I always thought that VS was perfect, until I installed Resharper. I hope JetBrains can surprise me again :-)

• Mike says:

VS without resharper is terrible. I can’t understand people saying raving about VS.

• jonnie savell says:

I don’t agree.

I have to do .NET but I don’t want to have to do Windows.

• Paul says:

as a .net dev of 12 years who has now spent about 1 year in java using Intellij and I’ve also used webstorm for about a year. I can say that while I love visual studio I really NEED resharper at this point. Having said that I love visual studio. Intellij is a better IDE in practically every way. From the editor to the source control integration. I can’t convince you of that and if it doesn’t matter to you it doesn’t matter. Never hurts to try and learn a new tool. I say give it a shot with an open mind.

• G says:

For-profit companies are not allowed to use Community Edition though and a lot of companies with greater than the $1M revenue threshold (or greater than 5 employees) still have trouble affording Visual Studio.

• Thomas says:

Devs are not for profit companies. Today few leading companies dictate dev tools instead mandating that whatever tools the developer personally chooses ultimately output what goes into the corporate repo in a corporate-standard format. Most new hires arrive with their own tools.

The cross platform support with everything to build and test is great news. Thanks

• Andy says:

It doesn’t work that way unless each dev is a private contractor. If you are an employee making code that is owned by your company, you have to have a commercial VS license.

• Tudor says:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way in most software development companies.
            The employee has to use a fix set of development tools, mandated by company policies, and usually he is not allowed to install anything without approvals.

• mk says:

“Today few leading companies dictate dev tools instead mandating that whatever tools the developer personally chooses ultimately output what goes into the corporate repo in a corporate-standard format. Most new hires arrive with their own tools.”

Where the heck did you get that idea? It isn’t remotely true.

• simonk says:

With Visual Studio 2015 community edition’s release Microsoft now allows commercial use.

• Mark foley says:

I was excited by this comment but believe it’s incorrect, at least for larger enterprises: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/mt171547.aspx

• Ross Presser says:

If you are not an enterprise, up to five users can use it concurrently. If you have more than five devs working at once, buy commercial.

• Mihai says:

An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) more than one million US dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

For small companies it`s okay to use it.

• Mike Strobel says:

> But as a day-to-day user of both WebStorm on the Mac and Visual Studio w/Resharper on Windows (via Parallels), I can tell you that Visual Studio is the better IDE, hands down.

I have never used WebStorm, but as someone who spends roughly equal time in IntelliJ and Visual Studio, I have found the VS+ReSharper combination to be barely tolerable (at best) since the end of the VS2008 era. Every aspect of editing, debugging, and navigating code feels faster and more intelligent in IntelliJ than with VS+ReSharper. The larger the project, the more glaring the difference.

VS+ReSharper will, *on a weekly basis*, either deadlock or slow down to the point that I need to restart it. Keep in mind that my development workstation sports 32gb RAM and a high-end SSD. IntelliJ deadlocks or becomes unusable maybe *once or twice a year*. I’m sure it helps that IntelliJ can actually run as a 64-bit process, a capability that is unforgivably absent from Visual Studio.

My devenv.exe is currently consuming 2.1gb, with the active solution containing 500k lines of C#/Xaml spread across 3k files. idea64.exe, by comparison, is consuming 1gb, with the project containing 2.3m lines of code spread across 20k files. Somehow, completion and navigation in IntelliJ are still noticeably snappier.

I am curious as to how Project Rider will hold up in comparison. My experience with JetBrains products leads me to blame Microsoft for the relatively infuriating experience developing with VS+ReSharper. I suppose I’ll find out soon enough whether that blame is warranted.

• Mike says:

Yes agreed. VS+R# slows down and crashes frequently with large solutions or even large files. I can’t remove R# though as VS has almost zero intellisense without it. And I’m not sure which one is to blame but I think they fight! Having their own IDE sounds like a good thing to me.

• Matt Rix says:

I feel completely the opposite: On Windows I find WebStorm to be a much better IDE than Visual Studio. Have you tried running WebStorm in Parallels? I guess running in OSX could be making it feel worse somehow…

I find Visual Studio to be a pretty awful IDE for C#, so much so that I’ve moved to using MonoDevelop, which also has its quirks and issues but still manages to be more usable than VS.

• Vlad Bezden says:

The benefit of having Rider is that it’s the same IDE as WebStorm, DataGrip, IntellyJ or PyCharm, … so you don’t have to learn new IDE and shortcuts, everything stay the same. To me it’s a big win.

2. Barry Hall says:

Very exciting times! Will be following this with much interest. Congratulations to the teams working on this.

3. efdee says:

FINALLY.

4. RevenantX says:

What about https://github.com/consulo/consulo (C# ide based on IntelliJ Platform)?

• Breno says:

Plenty of wrong error reports in that one, I’ve used it extensively. Still sensibly better than MonoDevelop though, that thing stinks.

5. Thiago Garcia says:

OMG *—-*
    That’s great guys!

6. Stanislav says:

Actually after looking at “Version 10.0” I understood that this is OLD toolset =)))))

7. Keith says:

Massive news, this is awesome :)

8. Yuri Trukhin says:

Awesome news! Please, add me to private EAP! I wait .NET IDE from JetBrains many years and want to test new features!

9. Simon says:

Yes, finally what I’ve been waiting for. Just tell me that this will be cross platform and am all for it.

10. Christian Schmitt says:

What about dotnet/cli? Microsoft will transition to https://github.com/dotnet/cli in the future
    See: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/issues/64

11. Rafal Lewczuk says:

Slightly off-topic. Are there any plans add official support for GO language (either as standalone IDE or plugin for CLion for example) ?

12. Cool, will we see features like ASP.Net, Importing from VS. XAML Designer, etc.?

• Matt Ellis says:

ASP.NET support is already there, including loading DNX (project.json) based apps. We’ll have support for editing XAML, but no plans for a XAML designer right now. As for importing from VS – what would you like to see? Rider already loads standard Visual Studio projects as well as DNX projects, so what would you want to import?

• Ramon de Klein says:

Although the XAML designer might be useful for simple WPF projects, I have never seen a professional WPF programmer use it for very long. It’s the first thing I disable after reinstalling Visual Studio :-)

A good intellisense for the text-based XAML editor would be much more appreciated.

• Mike Strobel says:

Agreed, smart C#+Xaml editing and support for WPF MSBuild integration is all I require to ditch VS once and for all.

• David Smith says:

Doesn’t seem to do much with project.json-based projects.

13. Beck says:

Will this support older versions of mono? Specifically for unity engine development. Even if not – this news has made my day

14. Miloskov says:

Finally after years waiting!!.

I hope it supports web development with CoreCLR and DNX.

Also, The blog says Cross platform tool, So I guess XAML with WPF is out, it is to windowish tech but maybe Xamarin forms could be those are cross platform.

• Matt Ellis says:

It supports loading and running DNX projects right now. CoreCLR support (e.g. debugging) is still in the works, but it’s coming.

We’ll have nice XAML editing, including support for Xamarin Forms, but there are no plans for designers.

• Desubox says:

>but there are no plans for designers.

Guess I’ll continue using VS then, at least for my Windows projects. I’m (sadly?) way too reliant on it.

15. Awesome! Can’t wait to try it

16. Robert Wojciechowski says:

I would love to be a part of the private EAP!

17. Pingback: Project Rider – A C# IDE by JetBrains | OPC Diary

18. Pingback: Project Rider – 新しい C# IDE #jetbrainsrider | JetBrains ブログ

19. Dev says:

1. Will it offer Visual Studio key scheme as a built-in option?

2. Will it allow running mobile emulators (e.g. Win Phone 8 and Xamarin Android)?

3. Will Roslyn analyzers be supported?

• Matt Ellis says:

Yes, we want to make Rider very familiar to ReSharper users. There are no plans right now for emulators or Roslyn analysers.

20. Rod Hyde says:

Excellent news. Looking forward to trying this. Interesting to see that the front end is written in Kotlin (please bring Kotlin to the CLR).

21. Steve says:

Any word on F# and VB.NET? Would those get support as well over time?

• Matt Ellis says:

No plans to announce right now. We’re currently focusing on C#, but would like to expose support for all of the features available in ReSharper, over time.

22. Armand Bozsik says:

Will it have a tool built-in for creating GUI-based applications like in VS?

Thanks.

23. Waldemar says:

This is the best news for me as Unity developer!!! So i don’t need to think about how to code with my Mac with Visualtudio, because this is just not possible… i hope i can with this tool!

24. Any plans to support deployments with Azure? Is that even possible?

25. Ryan Cosans says:

I’ve been waiting for this for longer than you think!

26. gplacido says:

Great news especially the cross platform bit :)
    Are there any plans for F# support?

27. Frank Kerrigan says:

Andriod support ?

There is a big hole in the market for an afford forms deployment that will work with Andriod and OSX, will this be covered ?

• Matt Ellis says:

There are no plans for anything specific for Android support, but we hope to expose existing Xamarin features in ReSharper, such as the smart Xamarin Forms XAML editing and inspections.

28. Dmitry D. says:

Will there be any support for targeting Xamarin projects?

• Matt Ellis says:

There are no specific plans for additional features, but we will be exposing existing Xamarin features, such as Xamarin.Forms XAML editing, navigation and inspections.

29. Congratz. We were waiting for it.

30. Thomas Glaser says:

YES! Thank you! I was hoping you’d make a Cross platform C# IDE at some point. :)

31. Trond says:

I want to test this on Ubuntu whenever you have a linux version ready.

32. Ernest says:

Soooo long awaiting… I already stop to believe that this could happens. Great news! =)

33. You guys made my day! Can’t wait to try eap :)

34. MikeP says:

Sorry to be the negative one, but this is just depressing. Visual Studio has such a massive feature set, development team, extension library, i just can’t see this beating VS on Windows.

The fact that MS and JB can’t work together to complete a unified, performant VS + resharper experience is woeful. With every version of VS, MS incorporates a few more R#-like refactorings, but still not getting near to the full functionality of R#, and now JB is creating an IDE with nowhere near the functionality of VS.

Currently loading VS and R# together with a big enterprise solution is such a resource hog and slow. Both packages parse the entire source code twice, build separate databases in different ways twice, its such a waste of time and resources. So instead of working together to solve this problem, the decision is to make a completely new product? I mean why does MS bother providing extensibility points in visual studio if they aren’t going to support those extensions anyway and consider them competitors?

I don’t know if this is MS or JB fault. I am guessing its MS. Microsoft has been moving towards a more open-source and collaborative persona (thankfully) over the last few years, and the progress on DNX and roslyn, ASP.NET vNext etc is fantastic, but it seems the VS team didn’t get the Memo. Perhaps they are headed by an evil “destroy resharper” Steve-Jobs-type figure, I don’t know.

For the sake of the development community across the world, stop this madness and sort it out, please.

• Alex says:

Hey Mike,

I’m with you on this. Not sure this is a MS thing. The latest CodeRush WIP from uses Roslyn and much of VS parsing, so it uses less memory and it’s faster.

• Kika says:

Are you seriously consider R# as a very necessary stuff? My last 10 experiments fails with the same reason – R# is too slow and clumsy to use (help overhead). I found nothing seriously helpful there, so uninstalled R# and enjoy fast VS.

• Oleg says:

Those who like Visual Studio are masochists. VS is overwhelmed slow piece of something bad, even Xamarin Studio beats VS nowadays, especially when VS without Resharper. Resharper is like nice cup of pure water inside of hot hell.

• Mark says:

I agree. Every time I have to use VS I cry. I applaud this effort. VS is a pain if you are doing down an dirty code development. FYI, Eclipse is $0 and is a pretty good IDE (and I rather use that than VS). So is Netbeans. But guess what, plenty of people pay for IntelliJ.

• Benedikt says:

Visual Studio 2008 was ultra fast, but starting with VS2010 Microsoft is using WPF… that ultimately slowed down the ide

• Sylvain Chamberland says:

The keyword here is *cross-platform*.

Isn’t Visual Studio programmed with XAML and WPF? That’s technology that won’t be ported to other platforms, so it will always be Windows-specific.

Microsoft has started the Visual Studio Code project that is cross-platform, but it’s an advanced code editor, not an IDE. So I am sure there *is* a market for a cross-platform C# IDE.

I’ve used SharpDevelop (on Windows) and MonoDevelop (on Linux) in the past, but being open source projects, they can’t support all features we look for in a .NET IDE. For example, ASP.NET support is missing or very poor at best.

I’m betting that a commercial product will be more feature-rich. For my part, I am a Linux fan and user but an ASP.NET developer, and I’ve been waiting a long time for a cross-platform .NET IDE.

• PaluMacil says:

You might be missing some of the point. They have made Resharper modular in a way where now it can plug into multiple IDEs, and they have made IntelliJ modular in a way it can support multiple languages. This product is emerging from the fact that they simply made a couple fantastic products. Inexperienced programmers often make the assumption that shoving twice as many programmers at a problem makes the project complete in half the time. Often doing that actually makes it take twice the time. There might not actually be any synergies Microsoft and JetBrains would get from working together. Also, they don’t need more features than VS to be a success. I use 100% C# in VS for work, but 100% JetBrains products (usually PyCharm) for projects outside of work. I like the JetBrains IDE feel, and I think this new experience will be good. Will it be all my coding? Probably not, but I anticipate enjoying it enough to at least try a pro license for a while.

• jonnie savell says:

MikeP,

I too am sorry that you’re the negative one.

I want to get off Visual Studio badly.

-jonnie

35. Daniel says:

This is very good news indeed!

36. Rodney Foley says:

Wait, wait, wait! I have to install Java so I can write C# with your IDE? Why? Why? If all I want to do is write in a .NET language why would I want to install Java so I could do that? There are other .NET IDE’s out there than don’t require that.

• Alexander Shvedov says:

Like with other IntelliJ based IDEs you don’t need to worry about Java installation into your OS – Java runtime is simply bundled with the product and used by only by this product (the same applies to Mono runtime when running Rider in OS X/Linux), so you don’t have to worry about “ask toolbar” and annoying Java updates.

This is the same road as Microsoft is targeting to with .NETCore – it will be possible to build a .NETCore app targeted to specific platform with runtime bundled (about 17Mb minimal right now), so basically everyone can run your app on target platform without having knowledge on what .NET actually is.

• Sylvain Chamberland says:

Same reason one would use Microsoft Visual Studio Code to program in C#. And it runs on JavaScript and Node.js..

• ruurd says:

Yes. You know, a C++ redistributable to run a .Net IDE is just as bad don’t you think?

37. Vladimir Shatskiy says:

Hey. May I ask what tool do you use to record the gifs?

38. Michael Snead says:

So exciting! :) Can’t wait for the EAP!

39. Andreas Oxinos says:

Great news, one request, make it work with Unity3D on mac!

So tired of having to boot up parallels to be able to work with vs on my mac for unity

Great job guys keep it up

40. David Hanson says:

I love to hear more about a headless resharper. Its something I wanted to use in our CI environment. Is there a plan to allow us to use that as a stand alone project too?

41. Nick Donais says:

Awesome news! Finally we’ll have a JetBrains powered C# ide on linux <3

42. david says:

Congratulations, I didn’t want to buy a new VS Licence. I work with phpstorm and I love it !!! So, I would like to work with Rider

43. James Simm says:

Could ReSharper potentially come to VSCode via this “headless ReSharper process” you mention?

44. behzad says:

WOW! The best news, i heard so far

45. Don Clore says:

Wow, reading the comments, I feel churlish asking for something else. I am totally thrilled to have an alternative to MonoDevelop (which itself has gotten a lot better over the years) for C# development on the Linux and Mac desktops.

I have a toolbox license for every one of the JetBrains IDE’s, and I love them, and they’re a huge help to me in navigating cross-platform, cross-discipline waters.

However, there’s one feature I really, really miss that’s in both Visual Studio and MonoDevelop debuggers. It’s the ability to move the instruction pointer, to set the current line of execution while debugging. This is a HUGE timesaver, when you step past the point of an error, and realize you should have stepped into a method to figure out what’s going on. More times than not, the context is such that you can just reset the point of execution, and dive in.

But JetBrain’s IDE’s don’t support this. I dunno if this is even possible with Java, Python, Ruby, Obj-C, Swift, et. al., but I know for SURE it is with C#/.NET/Mono (since both Visual Studio and MonoDevelop support it), and C/C++ (this has been available since 1988 with CodeView, remember that?).

This would be a huge help to me, across the boards, but if you could just implement it in your C# IDE. My hope is this would not require much effort.

Thanks for all your fine work.

• Mike Strobel says:

The ability to jump to a different instruction is the one feature of VS that I sorely miss in IntelliJ, but seeing as I have never encountered a Java IDE with that capability, I suspect that is more a limitation of the Java debugging infrastructure. JetBrains did, however, recently add the ability to “force return” from the current Java method without executing any more instructions. Not nearly as useful as “set next statement”, but it’s at least a step in the right direction.

• Matt Ellis says:

Thanks for the feature suggestion. Noted!

• Giedrius says:

Debugging is very important.
        I guess I’m spending more time debugging than writing code and lately I’m more and more debugging not my code – so I not always able to get pdb’s/source code for debugging, so hope that this experience will be better with Project Rider than with VS, keeping in mind what jetbrains have done with dotpeek lately.

• kd says:

As I am using both platforms frequently, I can confirm that the ability to set the instruction point in VS is one of the features that is really really missing in IntelliJ.
      The other features where VS is better than IntelliJ:
      – keyboard shortcuts are better in VS, more cleverly layed out
      – without R#, VS is considerably snappier than IntelliJ (but with R# the opposite is true)
      Apart from these issues, IntelliJ is clearly the better IDE.

46. I can’t believe this! Thank you! I’ve been asking for c# reshaper enabled IDE for Linux for ever! A game changer!

47. I would love for Linux to be prioritized. The OSX users are already used to parallels.

48. Vladimir says:

Finally! When do I get a chance to download it?

49. David Sanginés says:

Great! I would like to subscribe into the private EAP to test in on Linux Mint.

50. Mikhail says:

One more .net IDE is good news, but what about implementation, specially on Mono. We are using mono in production on linux for our apps, and there are enough issues. I’ll be very happy if your side will support mono on linux with different versions of mono and .net.

• Matt Ellis says:

Rider can be configured to run projects with different versions of Mono, so you can always download a newer runtime and run your projects with it. The ReSharper backend runs on a bundled custom build of Mono that includes a number of minor patches that have already been submitted as pull requests.

51. David Hanson says:

Very exciting! Looking forward to using Rider. I love IntelliJ products and prefer to work inside my native Mac environment as much as possible.

52. El Bruno says:

Excellent news !!!
    I’m looking forward to test it in a real project.
    Regards and kudos for all the team.
    -El Bruno

53. Brian M. says:

I’m excited to give this a shot! I’m a Mac guy who devs mostly in C#, I have a separate PC just for Visual Studio. I also use Visual Studio Code (VSC) on my Mac but I find that, while it’s nice, it’s mostly a glorified text editor. I would love to harness the power of Resharper when I’m building ASP.NET 5 applications, especially the refactoring tools. Question: will you guys support Solution files or will you guys use something else?

Thanks!

• Matt Ellis says:

Yes, Rider works with standard solution and project files. DNX apps currently require a solution file and a .xproj, but this will be replaced to work with global.json and project.json.

54. Pingback: [#Tools] #JetBrainsRider, un IDE para C# de los creadores de #ReSharper | El Bruno

55. Mike-EEE says:

First off, wow @ all the comments! haha. This is good news… good to see R# going their own path. At the very least if the ASP.NET5 “core” .NET hijacking currently underway @ MSFT takes, then there is a viable backup, and by an organization that arguably (and ironically) understands MSFT’s tech better than MSFT itself.

Since it is a new IDE, it would be great to see a fresh start and some ideas proposed on VS’s User Voice considered:
    (There seriously needs to be an AST-based innovation/revolution to how developers create and work with their code — JetBrains can do it!)

Anyways, congrats Team JB… you’re really awesome.

56. Piotr Mionskowski says:

I’ve been waiting for this for a long time and almost lost my hope. When I first saw tweets from Hadi about a mysterious Rider projects I was joking with colleagues that it cannot be an IDE. “A little something for .NET developers” – this is a huge thing for me.

Superb news, looking forward to trying it out.

57. Ben B says:

I’ve bought lots of licenses of PyCharm and Webstorm for my company. But truthfully I would be most interested in Project Rider as a Unity editor. It’s the only meaningful C# development done on Macs, and probably the longest tail on all platforms.

Hearthstone is made with Unity, and just Hearthstone might be bigger than all of Jetbrains!

58. Mstislav Pavlov says:

This is great news! I’ll look forward to the release:)

59. Nikos D says:

Yes yes yes yes! Finally!

60. Pingback: Кроссплатформенный IDE для .NET/C# от JetBrains - Терещенко. Просто. Профессионально

61. Victor Oliveira says:

Awesome news, i would love to be part of private EAP and test it on my MAC! 😉

62. This is fantastic, and I’ve been hoping for this for years. I’m very happy that this is happening.

Will the backend Resharper process be able to run on a separate OS than the frontend? For example, I want to be able to run the frontend in OS X, and the backend in Windows (for a WinForms/WPF app in my case).

• That is all possible but we rely on the files (source code files) that are shared between frontend and backed. With shared file system it would work but it won’t be fast. (file operations on shared windows folder on mac are slow).

63. D Mlee says:

It would be super awesome if it supported Unity as well!

64. Eldc says:

Will this IDE be available for free?

65. James G says:

Long time reader, first time commenter … +1 to the genuine awesomeness of this long, long awaited announcement. But you’ve made me wish the entire summer away in anticipation of the autumn release. Otherwise, really excellent news.

66. Rob Mayoff says:

I would love to have a JetBrains IDE that works well with Unity C# on the Mac.

67. Jake Scott says:

Good shit Jetbrains, have asked about this on Twitter so many times :)

68. Peter says:

Would love to see F# support in the future!

69. Pingback: [#Tools] #JetBrainsRider, C# IDE from #ReSharper creators | El Bruno

70. Deniz Oğuz says:

Will us be able to use Rider for Unity 3D development?

71. Pingback: Project Rider – A C# IDE | ReSharper Ultimate Blog | Andreas Plahn Developer Blog

72. Chris Krycho says:

This made me *giddy*. I’m about to start a new gig doing JS development with a mainly C#/.NET stack on the back end, and I’m a Mac guy through and through, so this will be perfect for me.

I’d love to get in on the private EAP, as (I think) a prime candidate for the product.

73. Marcin says:

This is so great!

I switched from SSMS to DataGrip recently, and perhaps VS to Rider will come next.

And please, please, please, don’t limit yourselves to C# only. It would be awesome if you could have a possibility to add other languages, like F# and ClojureCLR.

74. Sheriev says:

Very cool! But I need Xamarin. I would be very happy to see support of Xamarin by this IDE or Resharper plugin for Xamarin Studio

75. Eric Hartford says:

This isn’t what I Want at all.
    All I want, is add support for C# into IntelliJ.
    I don’t want 10 IDE’s for 10 languages.
    I want 1 IDE for ALL languages.
    Charge $50 for this and I won’t buy it.
    Charge $200 for this as an extension to IntelliJ, and I will buy it.
    It’s that simple.

• Matt Ellis says:

There are technical reasons in the underlying IntelliJ Platform that means it needs to be a standalone IDE right now. However, we are looking to see if it will be feasible to implement as a plugin to IntelliJ, as well.

• kd says:

I want this to be available as a plugin to IntelliJ too.
        I want one tool to work with, not several. For a thing as complex as an IDE, having multiple tools is always a huge disadvantage.

76. Tim Andersen says:

Hallelujah! Though, I always thought this product would be called ‘whetstone’.

77. Simply put: FREAKIN AWESOME!
    That’s such a relief to hear that we will be able to use the greatness of JetBrains IDE together with Mono! We’re working a lot with Mono, since we’re doing extensive development of multi-agent simulations with C# and deploy with docker. So this is going to be a huge win for us!
    It’ll also enable us to utilize fully Linux based Vagrant images complete with a full featured IDE to be used in our programming and software engineering courses. So great!

If you need a research team (10+ people) from Hamburg for private EAP, we’d be more than glad to lend a hand 😉

Very excited cheers from Hamburg,
    Christian

78. Dan Shechter says:

Will the backend R# process be eventually ported to CoreCLR?
    I’ve been a Mono user for a long time, and I really don’t think it’s a very efficient or fast platform.

It’s really buggy as hell, and I’m planning to personally jump ship as soon as I can over to CoreCLR, What are the Rider’s team thoughts about this?

• Alexander Shvedov says:

ReSharper source code is different – some big parts are completely platform-agnostic (like languages support, parsing and semantic resolution, inspections and fixes, code completion, refactorings, and other features except UI code), some low-level parts are platform-specific (like file IO and such) and even native (for example, we use ‘leveldb’ to store R#’s indexes, but it is cross-platform and has OS X/Linux builds).

In practice, we were very lucky and managed to abstract platform specific code and run over Mono relatively easy, in a finite amount of time :)

Running over CoreCLR would be nice indeed, but so far CoreCLR limits the set of available framework types and APIs a lot, requiring more work to be done and some workarounds to implement. I hope we can make R# platform more portable in future (it definitely looks possible), but by now we are targeting backend to Mono.

So we definitely looking at CoreCLR and awaiting stable release to investigate the targeting possibility more closely.

• Kirill says:

In addition to the previous answer. Yes we are planning to support CoreCLR as soon as possible.

79. MysticTaz says:

Since R# for Rider is out-of-proc, perhaps this same mechanism would help memory footprint with VS as well.

80. Brian K says:

Will this integrate nicely with other Microsoft products normally used by MS and .NET developers, such as TFS or IIS?

81. Gustav Yderland says:

Wow great work guys!! Finally! I love resharper and intellij, use them both daily.. I cant believe the Microsoft guys havent tried to incorporate some of your features natively. Now you can beat them at their own game :)
    How did you solve support for msproj? Will the ide import or will it use the msproj file natively? The actual project file gives me a headache every time.. Hope you just skip the darn thing :)
    Keep up the good work! Would love to try it out if possible!

82. Robert Armour says:

I used to develop in Java, and was used to intellij from the early days, but switched to the c# world some time ago, and have constantly been frustrated by how far behind the toolset was. At a Microsoft presentation, a couple of new refactoring features were announced, so I suggested that they should just buy jetbrains.
    When resharper came out, I had to fight to get it adopted by my co-workers, but they now realise what they’d been missing.
    For personal tinkering, I’ve been using VS community edition, but miss the resharper features, so will be eagerly awaiting the progress of Project Rider

83. Steve G says:

Is this 100% compatible with VS projects written on Windows?

I’ve always wanted to get rid of a VM on my Mac for NET but not sure if this product will solve this (i.e. Visual Code failed in this)

84. Pingback: dashart.de – dahinter :: behind » Tweet :: RT @JetBrainsRider: Video of today’s Project Rider…

85. Patrick says:

The best news I’ve had all year :)

I work on multiple projects in different languages. I dread every day I spend working on c# projects as I find VS so clunky and slow compared to the JetBrains IDE’s.

Fingers crossed I get the private EAP.

86. Matt Rix says:

Great stuff! If it’s anywhere close to the quality of other IntelliJ stuff, it should easily become my favourite C# IDE. Visual Studio was so bad I’ve been stuck using MonoDevelop for the past couple years.

87. Jason says:

What a massive disappointment. From a performance perspective Resharper is so slow and clunky, yet the features it has are so good. It’s a real shame that Roslyn isn’t being used for Reshaper, instead we have to pay the cost for Reshaper parsing and Roslyn parsing.

VS is fast and responsive without Reshaper, my crystal ball tells me that Roslyn based refactoring will eat Resharper’s lunch.

88. Visual Studio is one of the only things keeping me on Windows – and considering how disappointing MonoDevelop is, the lack of it on Linux is something that prevents some Linux users (e.g. academics) from using C#. I hope that project files will indeed be fully compatible with VS (in my project file I’ve still got hacks to support different versions of .NET Framework in different build configurations, I wonder if those will work in the new IDE…)

Will it have extensibility, such as support for something akin to [single-file generators](http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/995264/Avoid-tedious-coding-with-LeMP-Part)?

• Project files are going to be fully compatible with VS (actually these are the same .csproj/.vbproj/.xproj files that we have now in VisualStudio).
      Both IntelliJ and ReSharper are extensible and extensions will be supported in Rider.

89. Tiago says:

Why not make an IDE for Delphi / Free Pascal too?
    That has a great form editor as the Delphi / Lazarus and innovative components?

Hopefully editing forms for C # Desktop application is quality!

90. Pingback: JetBrains 가 이젠 닷넷 IDE도 만든다! | 위험한 블로그

91. I have always though this is one IDE these guys were missing and the recent commitment by Microsoft to be more open has allowed them to do this which is super exciting to me.

92. This is great, I am quite excited. Any competition to VS is good. The worst that can happen that VS will learn the good stuff from Rider and will implement it 😀 But I do hope that Rider will become something great (although it seems that it already is)

93. Leandro Cannizzaro says:

Yeahhh , really awesome. You are the best.

94. Pingback: Project Rider – A C# IDE | PipisCrew Official Homepage

95. Robert says:

Will there also be a plugin for IntelliJ?
    I fear that it will be the same as with CLion, which cannot be used with intellij, although this would make a lot of sense for multi-language-projects…

• Matt Ellis says:

There are technical reasons in the underlying IntelliJ Platform for implementing certain products as standalone IDEs. We’re looking to see if it will be feasible to also implement Rider as a plugin.

96. Pingback: Project Rider – eine C#-IDE - entwickler.de

97. Pingback: O que significa trabalhar com a plataforma Microsoft hoje e o que isso vai significar em alguns anos | Blogs da Lambda3

98. Pingback: Project Rider – A C# IDE | ..:: Frog in the box ::.. | ..:: Frog in the box ::..

99. Pingback: A new C# IDE called Project Rider, Microsoft makes upgrading Windows 10 easier, and a new Web app programming language—SD Times digest: Jan. 14, 2016 - SD Times

100. sbtk says:

Woooo! Go JetBrains, congratulations, this is amazing to see! <3

101. MisterJimson says:

Will this work with Xamarin? Currently Xamarin requires a Visual Studio extension, so I doubt it would work out of the box.

102. rvdginste says:

Very excited about project Rider!

As I understand it, the dotPeek functionality will be integrated in the new IDE, but what about dotCover, dotTrace and dotMemory? Will this kind of functionality also be(come) available in the new IDE?

103. Insanity says:

Christ almighty, why would I want to open my PC to the malware that is Java to write C# code? That is absolute insanity.

• Sensible Person says:

No, absolute insanity is claiming to be a developer worth a wad of dryer lint while being totally unaware of the difference between Java the language and VMs and Java the silly browser plugin.

104. Pingback: Platformfüggetlen C# IDE-t jelentett be a JetBrains - Hírek - Prog.Hu

105. David Jiboye says:

This is cool. Great job.

106. Pingback: 젯브레인스, C# IDE 만든다 – Soohong Park's Blog

107. Dean Chalk says:

How interesting this may be depends on what platforms can be targeted when using the IDE on a Mac.
    Like most cross-platform developers, I use a Mac. For web development, the currently available technology does a great job already – and I am a big fan of Visual Studio Code and Sublime on the Mac for any web development – including ASP.NET
    Now, if you can make your new IDE target the Windows 10 Platform (which could be deployed to emulators on the Mac perhaps), then you’ve got a really cracking proposition. I’ve abandoned writing apps for the Windows 10 UAP platform because doing it on a Mac with Parallels is way too tedious (and no-one is buyng the apps anyway).
    Also, the Visual Studio Code support for ASP.NET is a bit limited, so a great ASP.NET dev experience would be great, but these days I see web development has pretty much moved away from ASP.Net in favour of full-stack javascript solutions

108. Tonci Jukic says:

Give us EAP? :)

109. Pingback: JetBrains stellt eigentständige C# IDE vor – Der Bayer und der Würschtlmann

110. Pingback: JetBrains Announces Project Rider, A Cross-Platform IDE For C# | Lifehacker Australia

111. Tom Miley says:

Does this mean there wont be a C# plugin for webstorm? The industry is moving towards being front end heavy which means i primarily need support for HTML/CSS/JS and a little C#. I dont need an editor dedicated to C#. I dont want to play musical editors and keep switching back and forth for a single project…

112. Pingback: #overcommit 14 | abandonedmutex

113. Pingback: Szumma #024 – 2016 2. hét | d/fuel

114. Pingback: Would C# be as popular without Visual Studio? – paulmccaskie.com

115. Pingback: NDC London 2016 Onsdagen – Squeed Team Blog

116. Pingback: F# Weekly #2-#3, 2016 | Sergey Tihon's Blog

117. Pingback: Les liens de la semaine – Édition #167 | French Coding

118. mikle says:

Epic new year gift! Can’t wait for EAP

119. Dor Ben Dov says:

Great news, now we just need to hear that this new IDE able also to run on Linux and that would be big Breaker.

120. Pingback: 2016-01-19 : Bucket full of links! - Magnus Udbjørg

121. Pingback: Project Rider: New C# IDE from JetBrains | .NET Reference

122. Pingback: Tech News (Jan-20) - Vitali Shcharbin

123. This is wonderful!
    I’m a partner in a brazilian startup and I’m very interested in this private EAP of the Project-Rider.

Please!!!!

124. Pingback: Adaptech Solutions | Rapid Application Development Doesn’t Mean Fast Typing

125. Will you guys be supporting NuGet out of the box for the EAP?
    ie: Discovering, installing/updating/managing pacakges

Amazing work guys!

126. Andrew says:

Great news!

Do you have any plans on PowerShell support?

• Matt Ellis says:

No, we’re only really supporting what’s already in ReSharper, which doesn’t have any support for PowerShell.

127. Petr Havelka says:

EAP for me please:)

128. Pingback: 6 Trends for 2016 | The 6 Figure Developer

129. Pingback: The week in .NET - 1/25/2016 - .NET Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

130. vitaliy rybalka says:

EAP! We all scream for ice cream.

131. Pingback: 주간닷넷 2016년 1월 25일 - Korea Evangelist - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

132. Pingback: Tooling in the .net World – Actively Lazy

133. Andrey says:

IntelliSharpIdea :)

134. Pingback: .NET i jiné ... : Odkazy z prohlížeče – 6.2.2016

135. Pingback: Parsing Your Options | CR 191 | Jupiter Broadcasting

136. So excited for this, you have no idea!

Would absolutely love to be part of the private EAP. Please contact me, or post updated information on how to get into it.

Thanks,

137. Searching for the EAP everyday 😉 Can’t wait for it!

138. Pingback: Early Access to Project Rider – JetBrains new Cross-Platform C# IDE

139. Antonio Campos says:

Looks absolutely amazing, but if it will have some support or features for Unity you can be sure I’ll say goodbye to Visual Studio.

140. Robin says:

Subscribed to EAP program. Very excited to test.

141. Pingback: Project Rider – dostęp do Early Builds – Grzegorz Dudek

142. Pingback: Kotlin 1.0 Released: Pragmatic Language for JVM and Android | Kotlin Blog

143. Pingback: Kotlin 1.0 正式发布: JVM 和 Android 上更好用的语言-雨晨'S Blog

144. Pingback: Kotlin 1.0 リリース: JVMとAndroid向けの実用的(Pragmatic)言語 | JetBrains ブログ

145. Pingback: 本周的.NET ­— 1/25/2016 | .NET 中文博客

146. Tom Needham says:

Will there be a Community Edition of Rider?

147. While ReSharper is an amazing tool for VisualStudio it still requires you to work on Windows.
    Many Unity developers work on Macs because of the XCode deployment.
    In my opinion I see C# Unity development as the primary reason for Rider to exist.

148. Mike says:

I haven’t seen it mentioned here, so _please_ provide a (comments-based) disabling of auto format for sections of code.

IDEA handles it for Java. I expect nothing less than previous excellence from a C# editor from you.

149. Andrew Hirst says:

So, I’ve downloaded the EAP. I created a Console application and on entering ‘Console.’ and expecting the intellisense, the ‘IDE’ became unresponsive (spinning beachball). Had to drop down to the terminal to kill the process. I restarted it and tried again. Didn’t even get so far as to enter any code. The application failed to respond. On the third occasion I dragged Rider into the waste bin, along with WebStorm which I’ve never liked. Thank god they got it right mostly with Resharper. I’m well aware this is an early access product but come on – 5 seconds of coding and two hangs!!

• Hadi Hariri says:

Andrew, that behaviour is not normal. If you decide to try it again, feel free to reach out to us and we’ll try and investigate to see what causes it.

Thanks.

• Andrew Hirst says:

I reinstalled and gave this another shot. This time around I suffered no crashes in around 30 mins of use and consequently I was able to take Rider for a test-drive. I have to say I absolutely love it. It was responsible and as a long-time Resharper user, instantly familiar. The IDE is beautiful and along with VS Code, really gives me a thrill at seeing C# code (my primary language since it’s beta in September 2000) running without Parallels on a Mac. I’m expecting this to become my number one .NET Core IDE over time. It has also renewed my faith in Webstorm and I’m busy looking at WS12 right now particularly as I’m working on a project with Angular 2 and TypeScript.

Well done guys and keep working hard to get this to market.

150. JRoger says:

I installed then opened and got this error message “Unable to perform Build: Select toolset to perform build”
    OS: Windows 7 SP1

151. Ben du Plessis says:

Can Rider pull Nuget packages from a local NuGet server like ProGet

152. James Kim says:

What source control integration does it support? Also can it support custom build targets? I’m thinking custom build targets that will execute powershell, do some file copying/zipping and configuration transformations (typical DevOps stuff). Also wondering if it supports templates like VSTO projects, etc.

153. Jan Rabe says:

What about Linq support? :O

• Matt Ellis says:

Rider will support the same features for LINQ that ReSharper does, such as context actions to rewrite from query form to extension methods, and rewrite a foreach loop into a LINQ statement. Is there anything else you’d like to see?

154. Carlos says:

Do you have plan to support ASP Core 1.0, and desktop app?

• Matt Ellis says:

Yes, Rider already includes support for ASP.NET Core 1.0, and the next private EAP build will update that to include the latest fixes for RC2. As for desktop apps, we will provide XAML editing support, but no designers as such.

155. Markus says:

Please, add Unity 3D support. It would be a great alternative to MonoDevelop.

156. hismichael says:

Great tool!

Somehow I don’t feel that reusing ReSharper in this way won’t save effort in the long run.

157. hismichael says:

Great tool!

Somehow I don’t feel that reusing ReSharper in this way will save effort in the long run.

158. Ehsan says:

Love your IDEs, its much better than Visual Studio.

And Intellij IDEA ( Every time I imagine Eclipse I get headaches ) which is perfect and also Webstorm is the best.

JetBrains please keep on going and create at least one IDE for every programming language!

159. Ehsan says:

Please support Asp.net MVC also its the main framework I use with C#. Thanks, Your always the best :)

160. Ehsan says:

Great tool as I tested :)

161. Günhan Sancar says:

+1 for Unity3D support in Project Rider.

There is a huge developer community waits for it.

162. Vladimir says:

+1 for Unity3D

163. ruurd says:

OK this is great. Maybe I will dabble a bit in C# just to get a feel for it. I stayed away from it because of its tainted nature. Is there support for Android and/or iOS projects?

164. Micheal Ivan says:

Why not make an IDE for Delphi / Free Pascal too?
    That has a great form editor as the Delphi / Lazarus and innovative components?