Project Rider — C# IDE

Matt Ellis

UPDATE: NDC London organizers have kindly uploaded the recording of Project Rider presentation. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2: Make sure to follow Project Rider on twitter to receive further updates promptly.

UPDATE 3: We have opened a form for you to subscribe to take part in Project Rider Early Access Program. To everyone who subscribes, we will be sending links to Project Rider builds as soon as they are ready.

Today, at NDC London, we announced a new project that we’ve been working on for a little while – a cross-platform C# IDE, based on the IntelliJ Platform and using ReSharper technology.

Under the codename Project Rider, the IDE includes a lot of functionality that you are already familiar with from ReSharper and IntelliJ-based IDE’s, such as Quick Fixes, Inspections, and Smart Navigation. And while ReSharper is hosted inside Visual Studio, Project Rider is a full, standalone IDE.

While it’s still quite early, the following features are already available:

Navigation – smart navigation is a major feature of JetBrains IDEs, and Project Rider is no different, offering the standard Go To Type, Go To File, and integrating with IntelliJ Platform’s “Search Everywhere” feature to go to symbols, types, files and even search in settings and actions.

Rider Search Everywhere popup

The Navigate To popup menu is also available, giving access to navigate base/derived symbols in a class hierarchy, or to find usages, with the results displayed in the standard IDE tool window.

Rider Navigate To context menu
Rider Find Usages results

Editing – a wide range of smart editing features are implemented, from typing assist, such as inserting braces and automatic formatting, to Live Templates (including ReSharper 10’s postfix templates), quick info tooltips and gutter icons for inheritance navigation, context actions and so on.

Rider editing

Inspections – most of the inspections supported by ReSharper are displayed as errors, warnings, suggestions and hints in the editor. This includes red code for unresolved symbols, and underline highlights for code issues, and so on.

Rider inspections

Alt+Enter – no JetBrains IDE would be complete without Alt+Enter support, and most of the menu items from ReSharper’s quick fixes and context actions are available. Project Rider also supports applying bulk actions to a whole file, and changing the severity of an inspection directly from the menu.

Rider's Alt+Enter menu

Refactorings – a limited set of refactorings are available. Most refactorings require a user interface of some kind, and these haven’t been implemented yet. Project Rider can rename symbols and introduce/inline variable, as well as rewrite code in response to Alt+Enter on an inspection highlight.

Rider introduce variable

Decompiler – if you try to navigate to a type that you don’t have the source to, we’ll decompile it for you, and display what the C# source would like look.

Of course, as a standalone IDE, it also brings many other features to the table:

• Multiple runtime support. Project Rider supports the .NET Framework and Mono, with CoreCLR support in the works. It can load MSBuild and Mono XBuild solutions, as well as DNX projects. It also includes templates for creating new projects. And when you create an empty project, it’s really empty!

Rider new project templates

• Build, run and debug. One of the most important features of an IDE is debugging, and Project Rider is no exception. It can build and run .NET Framework, Mono and DNX projects, and can debug .NET and Mono apps – DNX debugging and CoreCLR support are coming. Any build errors are displayed in a Build tool window, and the Debug tool window is used for call stacks, variables and watch windows.
  • Cross platform. As well as running and debugging multiple runtimes, Project Rider itself runs on multiple platforms. It runs on Windows and Mac OS X (Linux too, but it’s mostly untested right now).

How does it work?

Project Rider is a standalone IDE built on the IntelliJ Platform, much like WebStorm, DataGrip and our other IDEs.

The difference however, is that instead of reimplementing ReSharper’s features on the IntellIJ Platform, which runs on the JVM, we’re using ReSharper in a headless mode, out of process, and communicating with it via a very fast custom binary protocol. As such, the backend continues to be ReSharper written in C# running on .NET or Mono, and the frontend is written in Kotlin, talking to the IntelliJ Platform’s APIs.

We’ll take a more in-depth look at the implementation details in a future blog post.

Why have we created a C# IDE?

Well you kept asking us, so we finally got around to doing it!

Jokes aside though, our main reason is to provide choice. We believe that we can provide a great user experience for developers that might be interested in using alternative environments.

So why now? Because we believe it is the right time due to several factors:

• We’ve been working for several years in allowing ReSharper to work in different environments, independently of Visual Studio. An example of this is dotPeek.
  • It’s quite clear that there’s an ever increasing tendency of developers using non-Windows platforms, and we’d like to give them the same experience they’ve come to know and love with ReSharper.
  • Finally, Microsoft moving its platform and C# language towards Open Source, along with initiatives such as CoreCLR, have been an added incentive.

What does this mean for ReSharper?

ReSharper is still the number one extension for Visual Studio, and one of our flagship products. The fact that Project Rider is using ReSharper reinforces our commitment to ReSharper, as any updates to ReSharper mutually benefit not only ReSharper but Project Rider also. In addition, we’re hoping some of the work we’ve put into Project Rider can feed back into ReSharper.

In essence, Project Rider will only increase the efforts we put into ReSharper.

What will the licensing model be?

While it’s too early right now to comment on the specific details, the licensing model will be inline with our other products from the JetBrains Toolbox. We will take into account the many usage scenarios that might occur, when establishing pricing, such as someone wanting to use both tools, etc.

We hope to have the pricing information soon.

Roadmap

We’re starting out on the road to 1.0. We’re confident of the architecture, and believe we’ve built a good foundation to implement the features we want to see in a 1.0 release. We’ve got a lot of functionality already implemented, but we’ve still got a lot that we need to build.

We’re aiming to open a private EAP in the coming weeks, towards the end of February. We’ll announce the signup form here on the blog, as well as on Twitter.

Soon after the private EAP we’ll move to a public EAP. When this will happen very much depends on the feedback we get from the early testers. Our aim is to release sometime in Autumn 2016.

We are very excited with Project Rider and hope you share the excitement. If you have any questions, please, ask away. And don’t forget to follow @JetBrainsRider for updates!

P.S. Of course, if you’re at NDC London this week, pop over to the booth and we’ll be happy to show you Project Rider in action!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

288 Responses to Project Rider — C# IDE

1. Dave Huntley says:

January 13, 2016

Awesome work guys. This is great to hear. Get the licencing right and this will be a huge win for .net devs. The money saved in VS licences alone should justify the move to DNX.

• Joe torres says:

January 13, 2016

Agreed. And also the competition shold benefit VS and Rider.

• Josh Nicholson says:

January 13, 2016

The argument that VisualStudio is an expensive choice is no longer valid with the GREAT “Community Editions” that Visual Studio is now available in. I ditched Professional and Ultimate a while ago. I doubt that Project Rider will be a significantly better IDE than Visual Studio Community Edition w/Resharper. Of course, as a Mac guy (who is currently running VS 2015 Community Edition w/Resharper in Parallels VM) I’d be psyched to see this new IDE. But as a day-to-day user of both WebStorm on the Mac and Visual Studio w/Resharper on Windows (via Parallels), I can tell you that Visual Studio is the better IDE, hands down.

• Ramon de Klein says:

January 13, 2016

I couldn’t agree more. The only uses that really benefit from this are the non-Windows developers, but I guess most of the .NET developers have a Windows box. But competition is good and I will certainly take a look…

PS: I always thought that VS was perfect, until I installed Resharper. I hope JetBrains can surprise me again 🙂

• Mike says:

January 17, 2016

VS without resharper is terrible. I can’t understand people saying raving about VS.

• Joshua says:

July 23, 2016

• jonnie savell says:

April 5, 2017

• jonnie savell says:

May 7, 2016

I don’t agree.

I have to do .NET but I don’t want to have to do Windows.

• Paul says:

August 26, 2016

as a .net dev of 12 years who has now spent about 1 year in java using Intellij and I’ve also used webstorm for about a year. I can say that while I love visual studio I really NEED resharper at this point. Having said that I love visual studio. Intellij is a better IDE in practically every way. From the editor to the source control integration. I can’t convince you of that and if it doesn’t matter to you it doesn’t matter. Never hurts to try and learn a new tool. I say give it a shot with an open mind.

• G says:

January 13, 2016

For-profit companies are not allowed to use Community Edition though and a lot of companies with greater than the $1M revenue threshold (or greater than 5 employees) still have trouble affording Visual Studio.

• Thomas says:

January 13, 2016

Devs are not for profit companies. Today few leading companies dictate dev tools instead mandating that whatever tools the developer personally chooses ultimately output what goes into the corporate repo in a corporate-standard format. Most new hires arrive with their own tools.

The cross platform support with everything to build and test is great news. Thanks

• Andy says:

January 13, 2016

It doesn’t work that way unless each dev is a private contractor. If you are an employee making code that is owned by your company, you have to have a commercial VS license.

• Tudor says:

January 14, 2016

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way in most software development companies.
            The employee has to use a fix set of development tools, mandated by company policies, and usually he is not allowed to install anything without approvals.

• mk says:

January 16, 2016

“Today few leading companies dictate dev tools instead mandating that whatever tools the developer personally chooses ultimately output what goes into the corporate repo in a corporate-standard format. Most new hires arrive with their own tools.”

Where the heck did you get that idea? It isn’t remotely true.

• Ryan says:

January 26, 2017

Seriously, get a job in Corporate Enterprise on the Fortune 1000 list and tell me they let you use the tools you want.

We’re still using VS2013, 2015 hasn’t been approved yet.

• simonk says:

January 13, 2016

With Visual Studio 2015 community edition’s release Microsoft now allows commercial use.

• Mark foley says:

January 13, 2016

I was excited by this comment but believe it’s incorrect, at least for larger enterprises: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/mt171547.aspx

• Ross Presser says:

January 14, 2016

If you are not an enterprise, up to five users can use it concurrently. If you have more than five devs working at once, buy commercial.

• Mihai says:

January 20, 2016

An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) more than one million US dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

For small companies it`s okay to use it.

• Nick F says:

September 8, 2017

For this very reason I use SharpDevelop. No matter that I work in a very large company, I installed for free SharpDevelop on all computers in our lab, so I can run and debug the applications while remotely controlling equipment.

• Mike Strobel says:

January 13, 2016

> But as a day-to-day user of both WebStorm on the Mac and Visual Studio w/Resharper on Windows (via Parallels), I can tell you that Visual Studio is the better IDE, hands down.

I have never used WebStorm, but as someone who spends roughly equal time in IntelliJ and Visual Studio, I have found the VS+ReSharper combination to be barely tolerable (at best) since the end of the VS2008 era. Every aspect of editing, debugging, and navigating code feels faster and more intelligent in IntelliJ than with VS+ReSharper. The larger the project, the more glaring the difference.

VS+ReSharper will, *on a weekly basis*, either deadlock or slow down to the point that I need to restart it. Keep in mind that my development workstation sports 32gb RAM and a high-end SSD. IntelliJ deadlocks or becomes unusable maybe *once or twice a year*. I’m sure it helps that IntelliJ can actually run as a 64-bit process, a capability that is unforgivably absent from Visual Studio.

My devenv.exe is currently consuming 2.1gb, with the active solution containing 500k lines of C#/Xaml spread across 3k files. idea64.exe, by comparison, is consuming 1gb, with the project containing 2.3m lines of code spread across 20k files. Somehow, completion and navigation in IntelliJ are still noticeably snappier.

I am curious as to how Project Rider will hold up in comparison. My experience with JetBrains products leads me to blame Microsoft for the relatively infuriating experience developing with VS+ReSharper. I suppose I’ll find out soon enough whether that blame is warranted.

• Mike says:

January 17, 2016

Yes agreed. VS+R# slows down and crashes frequently with large solutions or even large files. I can’t remove R# though as VS has almost zero intellisense without it. And I’m not sure which one is to blame but I think they fight! Having their own IDE sounds like a good thing to me.

• Matt Rix says:

January 13, 2016

I feel completely the opposite: On Windows I find WebStorm to be a much better IDE than Visual Studio. Have you tried running WebStorm in Parallels? I guess running in OSX could be making it feel worse somehow…

I find Visual Studio to be a pretty awful IDE for C#, so much so that I’ve moved to using MonoDevelop, which also has its quirks and issues but still manages to be more usable than VS.

• Vlad Bezden says:

January 28, 2016

The benefit of having Rider is that it’s the same IDE as WebStorm, DataGrip, IntellyJ or PyCharm, … so you don’t have to learn new IDE and shortcuts, everything stay the same. To me it’s a big win.

• Eric says:

April 25, 2017

Visual Studio is a very poorly designed IDE. When I transition developers from IntelliJ (Scala/Java) or Atom (JavaScript) to C#, the IDE is the largest hurdle. I am used to it and therefore once defended it. But I have seen too many people change languages and hate Visual Studio. Rider is better than VS Code and is easier than Visual Studio if you switch languages a lot. We have started offering devs the full Jetbrains suite so the feel of the development environment is consistent from language to language. We also offer Visual Studio for people who only work in C# and only work on Windows and code exclusively against the Windows hosted .Net runtime.

The thing that differentiates Visual Studio for me is the DACPAC and SSIS support. JetBrains Datagrip is good, but Visual Studio’s data management tooling is still embedded more elegantly, easier to configure, and has much more powerful tooling (for the one ETL and database engine it supports).

However I still use Atom most of the time unless I am not doing Scala, Java, or C#.

2. Barry Hall says:

January 13, 2016

Very exciting times! Will be following this with much interest. Congratulations to the teams working on this.

3. efdee says:

FINALLY.

4. RevenantX says:

January 13, 2016

What about https://github.com/consulo/consulo (C# ide based on IntelliJ Platform)?

• Breno says:

May 3, 2016

Plenty of wrong error reports in that one, I’ve used it extensively. Still sensibly better than MonoDevelop though, that thing stinks.

5. Thiago Garcia says:

OMG *—-*
    That’s great guys!

6. Stanislav says:

January 13, 2016

Actually after looking at “Version 10.0” I understood that this is OLD toolset =)))))

7. Keith says:

January 13, 2016

Massive news, this is awesome 🙂

8. Yuri Trukhin says:

January 13, 2016

Awesome news! Please, add me to private EAP! I wait .NET IDE from JetBrains many years and want to test new features!

• Daniel Alves says:

January 14, 2016

kkkkk… This is war!! I’m very interested in this private EAP too!

Great job, Jetbrains!!!

9. Simon says:

January 13, 2016

Yes, finally what I’ve been waiting for. Just tell me that this will be cross platform and am all for it.

January 13, 2016

Yes, it’s cross platform! Windows and Mac right now. Linux builds + runs, but is untested for now.

10. Christian Schmitt says:

January 13, 2016

What about dotnet/cli? Microsoft will transition to https://github.com/dotnet/cli in the future
    See: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/issues/64

January 13, 2016

Don’t worry, the tooling will be updated to use the new bits.

11. Rafal Lewczuk says:

January 13, 2016

Slightly off-topic. Are there any plans add official support for GO language (either as standalone IDE or plugin for CLion for example) ?

12. James Parsons says:

January 13, 2016

Cool, will we see features like ASP.Net, Importing from VS. XAML Designer, etc.?

January 13, 2016

ASP.NET support is already there, including loading DNX (project.json) based apps. We’ll have support for editing XAML, but no plans for a XAML designer right now. As for importing from VS – what would you like to see? Rider already loads standard Visual Studio projects as well as DNX projects, so what would you want to import?

• Ramon de Klein says:

January 13, 2016

Although the XAML designer might be useful for simple WPF projects, I have never seen a professional WPF programmer use it for very long. It’s the first thing I disable after reinstalling Visual Studio 🙂

A good intellisense for the text-based XAML editor would be much more appreciated.

• Mike Strobel says:

January 13, 2016

Agreed, smart C#+Xaml editing and support for WPF MSBuild integration is all I require to ditch VS once and for all.

• Kris McGinnes says:

July 20, 2017

I agree to a certain extent. I use the designer on a complicated WPF application, but I only use it as a preview. I never use the editing features of the designer.

I would use the heck out of a XAML preview pane in Rider, as long as it works better than the one in Visual Studio (which is not a high bar).

• David Smith says:

May 1, 2016

Doesn’t seem to do much with project.json-based projects.

13. Beck says:

January 13, 2016

Will this support older versions of mono? Specifically for unity engine development. Even if not – this news has made my day

January 13, 2016

There are no plans at the moment, but we are definitely keeping it in mind!

14. Miloskov says:

January 13, 2016

Finally after years waiting!!.

I hope it supports web development with CoreCLR and DNX.

Also, The blog says Cross platform tool, So I guess XAML with WPF is out, it is to windowish tech but maybe Xamarin forms could be those are cross platform.

January 13, 2016

It supports loading and running DNX projects right now. CoreCLR support (e.g. debugging) is still in the works, but it’s coming.

We’ll have nice XAML editing, including support for Xamarin Forms, but there are no plans for designers.

• Desubox says:

January 13, 2016

>but there are no plans for designers.

Guess I’ll continue using VS then, at least for my Windows projects. I’m (sadly?) way too reliant on it.

15. Thomas Levesque says:

January 13, 2016

Awesome! Can’t wait to try it

16. Robert Wojciechowski says:

January 13, 2016

I would love to be a part of the private EAP!

• darth pixel says:

me too

17. Project Rider – A C# IDE by JetBrains | OPC Diary says:

January 13, 2016

[…] Project Rider – A C# IDE by JetBrainsOPC Diary情報源: Project Rider – A C# IDE | ReSharper Ultimate Blog […]

18. Dev says:

January 13, 2016

1. Will it offer Visual Studio key scheme as a built-in option?

2. Will it allow running mobile emulators (e.g. Win Phone 8 and Xamarin Android)?

3. Will Roslyn analyzers be supported?

January 13, 2016

Yes, we want to make Rider very familiar to ReSharper users. There are no plans right now for emulators or Roslyn analysers.

19. Rod Hyde says:

January 13, 2016

Excellent news. Looking forward to trying this. Interesting to see that the front end is written in Kotlin (please bring Kotlin to the CLR).

20. Steve says:

January 13, 2016

Any word on F# and VB.NET? Would those get support as well over time?

January 13, 2016

No plans to announce right now. We’re currently focusing on C#, but would like to expose support for all of the features available in ReSharper, over time.

21. Armand Bozsik says:

January 13, 2016

Will it have a tool built-in for creating GUI-based applications like in VS?

Thanks.

January 13, 2016

There are no plans for designers right now, but Rider will include ReSharper’s XAML features.

22. Waldemar says:

January 13, 2016

This is the best news for me as Unity developer!!! So i don’t need to think about how to code with my Mac with Visualtudio, because this is just not possible… i hope i can with this tool!

23. Richard Vanbergen says:

January 13, 2016

Any plans to support deployments with Azure? Is that even possible?

January 14, 2016

This is one of the nice things about building Rider on top of IntelliJ – we’ll be able to take advantage of the existing ecosystem of IntelliJ plugins. Here’s one by Microsoft that provides a log of functionality for Azure: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/7598

24. Ryan Cosans says:

January 13, 2016

I’ve been waiting for this for longer than you think!

25. gplacido says:

January 13, 2016

Great news especially the cross platform bit 🙂
    Are there any plans for F# support?

January 13, 2016

There are no plans for F# right now.

• Carl Patenaude Poulin says:

January 22, 2016

:(((((((

26. Frank Kerrigan says:

Andriod support ?

There is a big hole in the market for an afford forms deployment that will work with Andriod and OSX, will this be covered ?

January 13, 2016

There are no plans for anything specific for Android support, but we hope to expose existing Xamarin features in ReSharper, such as the smart Xamarin Forms XAML editing and inspections.

27. Dmitry D. says:

January 13, 2016

Will there be any support for targeting Xamarin projects?

January 13, 2016

There are no specific plans for additional features, but we will be exposing existing Xamarin features, such as Xamarin.Forms XAML editing, navigation and inspections.

28. Tayfun Yaşar says:

January 13, 2016

Congratz. We were waiting for it.

29. Thomas Glaser says:

January 13, 2016

YES! Thank you! I was hoping you’d make a Cross platform C# IDE at some point. 🙂

30. Trond says:

January 13, 2016

I want to test this on Ubuntu whenever you have a linux version ready.

31. Ernest says:

January 13, 2016

Soooo long awaiting… I already stop to believe that this could happens. Great news! =)

32. Pavel Rytikov says:

January 13, 2016

You guys made my day! Can’t wait to try eap 🙂

33. MikeP says:

January 13, 2016

Sorry to be the negative one, but this is just depressing. Visual Studio has such a massive feature set, development team, extension library, i just can’t see this beating VS on Windows.

The fact that MS and JB can’t work together to complete a unified, performant VS + resharper experience is woeful. With every version of VS, MS incorporates a few more R#-like refactorings, but still not getting near to the full functionality of R#, and now JB is creating an IDE with nowhere near the functionality of VS.

Currently loading VS and R# together with a big enterprise solution is such a resource hog and slow. Both packages parse the entire source code twice, build separate databases in different ways twice, its such a waste of time and resources. So instead of working together to solve this problem, the decision is to make a completely new product? I mean why does MS bother providing extensibility points in visual studio if they aren’t going to support those extensions anyway and consider them competitors?

I don’t know if this is MS or JB fault. I am guessing its MS. Microsoft has been moving towards a more open-source and collaborative persona (thankfully) over the last few years, and the progress on DNX and roslyn, ASP.NET vNext etc is fantastic, but it seems the VS team didn’t get the Memo. Perhaps they are headed by an evil “destroy resharper” Steve-Jobs-type figure, I don’t know.

For the sake of the development community across the world, stop this madness and sort it out, please.

• Alex says:

Hey Mike,

I’m with you on this. Not sure this is a MS thing. The latest CodeRush WIP from uses Roslyn and much of VS parsing, so it uses less memory and it’s faster.

• Kika says:

January 13, 2016

Are you seriously consider R# as a very necessary stuff? My last 10 experiments fails with the same reason – R# is too slow and clumsy to use (help overhead). I found nothing seriously helpful there, so uninstalled R# and enjoy fast VS.

• Oleg says:

January 13, 2016

Those who like Visual Studio are masochists. VS is overwhelmed slow piece of something bad, even Xamarin Studio beats VS nowadays, especially when VS without Resharper. Resharper is like nice cup of pure water inside of hot hell.

• Mark says:

January 15, 2016

I agree. Every time I have to use VS I cry. I applaud this effort. VS is a pain if you are doing down an dirty code development. FYI, Eclipse is $0 and is a pretty good IDE (and I rather use that than VS). So is Netbeans. But guess what, plenty of people pay for IntelliJ.

• Benedikt says:

January 15, 2016

Visual Studio 2008 was ultra fast, but starting with VS2010 Microsoft is using WPF… that ultimately slowed down the ide

• Sylvain Chamberland says:

January 13, 2016

The keyword here is *cross-platform*.

Isn’t Visual Studio programmed with XAML and WPF? That’s technology that won’t be ported to other platforms, so it will always be Windows-specific.

Microsoft has started the Visual Studio Code project that is cross-platform, but it’s an advanced code editor, not an IDE. So I am sure there *is* a market for a cross-platform C# IDE.

I’ve used SharpDevelop (on Windows) and MonoDevelop (on Linux) in the past, but being open source projects, they can’t support all features we look for in a .NET IDE. For example, ASP.NET support is missing or very poor at best.

I’m betting that a commercial product will be more feature-rich. For my part, I am a Linux fan and user but an ASP.NET developer, and I’ve been waiting a long time for a cross-platform .NET IDE.

• PaluMacil says:

January 14, 2016

You might be missing some of the point. They have made Resharper modular in a way where now it can plug into multiple IDEs, and they have made IntelliJ modular in a way it can support multiple languages. This product is emerging from the fact that they simply made a couple fantastic products. Inexperienced programmers often make the assumption that shoving twice as many programmers at a problem makes the project complete in half the time. Often doing that actually makes it take twice the time. There might not actually be any synergies Microsoft and JetBrains would get from working together. Also, they don’t need more features than VS to be a success. I use 100% C# in VS for work, but 100% JetBrains products (usually PyCharm) for projects outside of work. I like the JetBrains IDE feel, and I think this new experience will be good. Will it be all my coding? Probably not, but I anticipate enjoying it enough to at least try a pro license for a while.

• jonnie savell says:

May 7, 2016

MikeP,

I too am sorry that you’re the negative one.

I want to get off Visual Studio badly.

-jonnie

34. Daniel says:

January 13, 2016

This is very good news indeed!

35. Rodney Foley says:

January 13, 2016

Wait, wait, wait! I have to install Java so I can write C# with your IDE? Why? Why? If all I want to do is write in a .NET language why would I want to install Java so I could do that? There are other .NET IDE’s out there than don’t require that.

• Alexander Shvedov says:

January 13, 2016

Like with other IntelliJ based IDEs you don’t need to worry about Java installation into your OS – Java runtime is simply bundled with the product and used by only by this product (the same applies to Mono runtime when running Rider in OS X/Linux), so you don’t have to worry about “ask toolbar” and annoying Java updates.

This is the same road as Microsoft is targeting to with .NETCore – it will be possible to build a .NETCore app targeted to specific platform with runtime bundled (about 17Mb minimal right now), so basically everyone can run your app on target platform without having knowledge on what .NET actually is.

• Sylvain Chamberland says:

January 13, 2016

Same reason one would use Microsoft Visual Studio Code to program in C#. And it runs on JavaScript and Node.js..

• ruurd says:

July 28, 2016

Yes. You know, a C++ redistributable to run a .Net IDE is just as bad don’t you think?

36. Vladimir Shatskiy says:

January 13, 2016

Hey. May I ask what tool do you use to record the gifs?

37. Michael Snead says:

January 13, 2016

So exciting! 🙂 Can’t wait for the EAP!

38. Andreas Oxinos says:

January 13, 2016

Great news, one request, make it work with Unity3D on mac!

So tired of having to boot up parallels to be able to work with vs on my mac for unity

Great job guys keep it up

• Mr.Recycle says:

January 19, 2016

^^^ please ^^^ I would love to be able to use it with Unity…

39. David Hanson says:

January 13, 2016

I love to hear more about a headless resharper. Its something I wanted to use in our CI environment. Is there a plan to allow us to use that as a stand alone project too?

• Turbanov Andrey says:

January 13, 2016

Do you want to run Resharper inspections?
      It’s available since 2013 – https://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/features/command-line.html

• Slava Trenogin says:

January 13, 2016

David, for using on CI servers ReSharper is available for a long time as command line tool. Take a loot at https://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/features/command-line.html

• Slava Trenogin says:

January 13, 2016

And, as nuget package with MsBuild task too https://www.nuget.org/packages/JetBrains.ReSharper.CommandLineTools/

• David Hanson says:

January 13, 2016

But this is just inspections what want is refactoring via a cIi

• Mark says:

January 15, 2016

on those lines, are you going to pick up the mantle of a better build/dependency manager tool? Something like Gradle/Maven. Nuget and MSBuild pale in comparison and those cause me pain in the .NET world as much as VS.

• jonnie savell says:

May 7, 2016

That’s a very interesting idea.

This would commit JetBrains to spend a lot of time in research and development mode in order to produce such a build tool. This tool would have to be made freely available in order to gain traction.

I love the idea; it’s aggressive. I just don’t see a smaller company attempting to do this. Then again, I never anticipated a smaller company building a competitor to Visual Studio.

-jonnie

40. Nick Donais says:

Awesome news! Finally we’ll have a JetBrains powered C# ide on linux <3

41. david says:

January 13, 2016

Congratulations, I didn’t want to buy a new VS Licence. I work with phpstorm and I love it !!! So, I would like to work with Rider

42. James Simm says:

January 13, 2016

Could ReSharper potentially come to VSCode via this “headless ReSharper process” you mention?

January 14, 2016

There are no plans for this, and it depends greatly on the capabilities of the VSCode extension model.

43. behzad says:

January 13, 2016

WOW! The best news, i heard so far

44. Don Clore says:

January 13, 2016

Wow, reading the comments, I feel churlish asking for something else. I am totally thrilled to have an alternative to MonoDevelop (which itself has gotten a lot better over the years) for C# development on the Linux and Mac desktops.

I have a toolbox license for every one of the JetBrains IDE’s, and I love them, and they’re a huge help to me in navigating cross-platform, cross-discipline waters.

However, there’s one feature I really, really miss that’s in both Visual Studio and MonoDevelop debuggers. It’s the ability to move the instruction pointer, to set the current line of execution while debugging. This is a HUGE timesaver, when you step past the point of an error, and realize you should have stepped into a method to figure out what’s going on. More times than not, the context is such that you can just reset the point of execution, and dive in.

But JetBrain’s IDE’s don’t support this. I dunno if this is even possible with Java, Python, Ruby, Obj-C, Swift, et. al., but I know for SURE it is with C#/.NET/Mono (since both Visual Studio and MonoDevelop support it), and C/C++ (this has been available since 1988 with CodeView, remember that?).

This would be a huge help to me, across the boards, but if you could just implement it in your C# IDE. My hope is this would not require much effort.

Thanks for all your fine work.

• Mike Strobel says:

January 13, 2016

The ability to jump to a different instruction is the one feature of VS that I sorely miss in IntelliJ, but seeing as I have never encountered a Java IDE with that capability, I suspect that is more a limitation of the Java debugging infrastructure. JetBrains did, however, recently add the ability to “force return” from the current Java method without executing any more instructions. Not nearly as useful as “set next statement”, but it’s at least a step in the right direction.

January 14, 2016

Thanks for the feature suggestion. Noted!

• Giedrius says:

January 18, 2016

Debugging is very important.
        I guess I’m spending more time debugging than writing code and lately I’m more and more debugging not my code – so I not always able to get pdb’s/source code for debugging, so hope that this experience will be better with Project Rider than with VS, keeping in mind what jetbrains have done with dotpeek lately.

• kd says:

January 20, 2016

As I am using both platforms frequently, I can confirm that the ability to set the instruction point in VS is one of the features that is really really missing in IntelliJ.
      The other features where VS is better than IntelliJ:
      – keyboard shortcuts are better in VS, more cleverly layed out
      – without R#, VS is considerably snappier than IntelliJ (but with R# the opposite is true)
      Apart from these issues, IntelliJ is clearly the better IDE.

45. Adam Dymitruk says:

January 13, 2016

I can’t believe this! Thank you! I’ve been asking for c# reshaper enabled IDE for Linux for ever! A game changer!

46. Adam Dymitruk says:

January 13, 2016

I would love for Linux to be prioritized. The OSX users are already used to parallels.

• B says:

January 14, 2016

You can always use virtual box on linux to run a Windows VM.

47. Vladimir says:

January 13, 2016

Finally! When do I get a chance to download it?

48. David Sanginés says:

January 13, 2016

Great! I would like to subscribe into the private EAP to test in on Linux Mint.

49. Mikhail says:

January 13, 2016

One more .net IDE is good news, but what about implementation, specially on Mono. We are using mono in production on linux for our apps, and there are enough issues. I’ll be very happy if your side will support mono on linux with different versions of mono and .net.

January 13, 2016

Rider can be configured to run projects with different versions of Mono, so you can always download a newer runtime and run your projects with it. The ReSharper backend runs on a bundled custom build of Mono that includes a number of minor patches that have already been submitted as pull requests.

50. David Hanson says:

January 13, 2016

Very exciting! Looking forward to using Rider. I love IntelliJ products and prefer to work inside my native Mac environment as much as possible.

51. El Bruno says:

Excellent news !!!
    I’m looking forward to test it in a real project.
    Regards and kudos for all the team.
    -El Bruno

52. Brian M. says:

January 13, 2016

I’m excited to give this a shot! I’m a Mac guy who devs mostly in C#, I have a separate PC just for Visual Studio. I also use Visual Studio Code (VSC) on my Mac but I find that, while it’s nice, it’s mostly a glorified text editor. I would love to harness the power of Resharper when I’m building ASP.NET 5 applications, especially the refactoring tools. Question: will you guys support Solution files or will you guys use something else?

Thanks!

January 13, 2016

Yes, Rider works with standard solution and project files. DNX apps currently require a solution file and a .xproj, but this will be replaced to work with global.json and project.json.

53. [#Tools] #JetBrainsRider, un IDE para C# de los creadores de #ReSharper | El Bruno says:

[…] JetBrains Project Rider Announcement […]

54. Mike-EEE says:

January 13, 2016

First off, wow @ all the comments! haha. This is good news… good to see R# going their own path. At the very least if the ASP.NET5 “core” .NET hijacking currently underway @ MSFT takes, then there is a viable backup, and by an organization that arguably (and ironically) understands MSFT’s tech better than MSFT itself.

Since it is a new IDE, it would be great to see a fresh start and some ideas proposed on VS’s User Voice considered:
    (There seriously needs to be an AST-based innovation/revolution to how developers create and work with their code — JetBrains can do it!)

Anyways, congrats Team JB… you’re really awesome.

55. Piotr Mionskowski says:

January 13, 2016

I’ve been waiting for this for a long time and almost lost my hope. When I first saw tweets from Hadi about a mysterious Rider projects I was joking with colleagues that it cannot be an IDE. “A little something for .NET developers” – this is a huge thing for me.

Superb news, looking forward to trying it out.

56. Ben B says:

January 13, 2016

I’ve bought lots of licenses of PyCharm and Webstorm for my company. But truthfully I would be most interested in Project Rider as a Unity editor. It’s the only meaningful C# development done on Macs, and probably the longest tail on all platforms.

Hearthstone is made with Unity, and just Hearthstone might be bigger than all of Jetbrains!

January 14, 2016

While we have nothing specific to announce, we’re well aware that Unity support is a strong feature request. In the mean time, you might want to check out the ReSharper Unity plugin: https://github.com/JetBrains/resharper-unity#readme

57. Mstislav Pavlov says:

January 13, 2016

This is great news! I’ll look forward to the release:)

58. Nikos D says:

January 13, 2016

Yes yes yes yes! Finally!

59. Кроссплатформенный IDE для .NET/C# от JetBrains - Терещенко. Просто. Профессионально says:

January 13, 2016

[…] анонсирован новый продукт от JetBrains на платформе IntelliJ. Кодовое имя […]

60. Victor Oliveira says:

January 13, 2016

Awesome news, i would love to be part of private EAP and test it on my MAC! 😉

61. Nilesh Kapadia says:

January 13, 2016

This is fantastic, and I’ve been hoping for this for years. I’m very happy that this is happening.

Will the backend Resharper process be able to run on a separate OS than the frontend? For example, I want to be able to run the frontend in OS X, and the backend in Windows (for a WinForms/WPF app in my case).

• Sergey Shkredov says:

January 13, 2016

That is all possible but we rely on the files (source code files) that are shared between frontend and backed. With shared file system it would work but it won’t be fast. (file operations on shared windows folder on mac are slow).

62. D Mlee says:

January 13, 2016

It would be super awesome if it supported Unity as well!

63. Eldc says:

January 13, 2016

Will this IDE be available for free?

64. James G says:

January 13, 2016

Long time reader, first time commenter … +1 to the genuine awesomeness of this long, long awaited announcement. But you’ve made me wish the entire summer away in anticipation of the autumn release. Otherwise, really excellent news.

65. Rob Mayoff says:

January 13, 2016

I would love to have a JetBrains IDE that works well with Unity C# on the Mac.

66. Jake Scott says:

Good shit Jetbrains, have asked about this on Twitter so many times 🙂

67. Peter says:

January 13, 2016

Would love to see F# support in the future!

68. [#Tools] #JetBrainsRider, C# IDE from #ReSharper creators | El Bruno says:

[…] JetBrains Project Rider Announcement […]

69. Deniz Oğuz says:

January 13, 2016

Will us be able to use Rider for Unity 3D development?

70. Chris Krycho says:

January 13, 2016

This made me *giddy*. I’m about to start a new gig doing JS development with a mainly C#/.NET stack on the back end, and I’m a Mac guy through and through, so this will be perfect for me.

I’d love to get in on the private EAP, as (I think) a prime candidate for the product.

71. Marcin says:

This is so great!

I switched from SSMS to DataGrip recently, and perhaps VS to Rider will come next.

And please, please, please, don’t limit yourselves to C# only. It would be awesome if you could have a possibility to add other languages, like F# and ClojureCLR.

72. Sheriev says:

January 13, 2016

Very cool! But I need Xamarin. I would be very happy to see support of Xamarin by this IDE or Resharper plugin for Xamarin Studio

73. Eric Hartford says:

January 13, 2016

This isn’t what I Want at all.
    All I want, is add support for C# into IntelliJ.
    I don’t want 10 IDE’s for 10 languages.
    I want 1 IDE for ALL languages.
    Charge $50 for this and I won’t buy it.
    Charge $200 for this as an extension to IntelliJ, and I will buy it.
    It’s that simple.

January 14, 2016

There are technical reasons in the underlying IntelliJ Platform that means it needs to be a standalone IDE right now. However, we are looking to see if it will be feasible to implement as a plugin to IntelliJ, as well.

• kd says:

January 20, 2016

I want this to be available as a plugin to IntelliJ too.
        I want one tool to work with, not several. For a thing as complex as an IDE, having multiple tools is always a huge disadvantage.

• Josh Gleason says:

November 23, 2016

74. Tim Andersen says:

January 13, 2016

Hallelujah! Though, I always thought this product would be called ‘whetstone’.

75. Christian Hüning says:

January 13, 2016

Simply put: FREAKIN AWESOME!
    That’s such a relief to hear that we will be able to use the greatness of JetBrains IDE together with Mono! We’re working a lot with Mono, since we’re doing extensive development of multi-agent simulations with C# and deploy with docker. So this is going to be a huge win for us!
    It’ll also enable us to utilize fully Linux based Vagrant images complete with a full featured IDE to be used in our programming and software engineering courses. So great!

If you need a research team (10+ people) from Hamburg for private EAP, we’d be more than glad to lend a hand 😉

Very excited cheers from Hamburg,
    Christian

76. Dan Shechter says:

January 13, 2016

Will the backend R# process be eventually ported to CoreCLR?
    I’ve been a Mono user for a long time, and I really don’t think it’s a very efficient or fast platform.

It’s really buggy as hell, and I’m planning to personally jump ship as soon as I can over to CoreCLR, What are the Rider’s team thoughts about this?

• Alexander Shvedov says:

January 14, 2016

ReSharper source code is different – some big parts are completely platform-agnostic (like languages support, parsing and semantic resolution, inspections and fixes, code completion, refactorings, and other features except UI code), some low-level parts are platform-specific (like file IO and such) and even native (for example, we use ‘leveldb’ to store R#’s indexes, but it is cross-platform and has OS X/Linux builds).

In practice, we were very lucky and managed to abstract platform specific code and run over Mono relatively easy, in a finite amount of time 🙂

Running over CoreCLR would be nice indeed, but so far CoreCLR limits the set of available framework types and APIs a lot, requiring more work to be done and some workarounds to implement. I hope we can make R# platform more portable in future (it definitely looks possible), but by now we are targeting backend to Mono.

So we definitely looking at CoreCLR and awaiting stable release to investigate the targeting possibility more closely.

• Kirill says:

January 14, 2016

In addition to the previous answer. Yes we are planning to support CoreCLR as soon as possible.

77. MysticTaz says:

January 13, 2016

Since R# for Rider is out-of-proc, perhaps this same mechanism would help memory footprint with VS as well.

January 14, 2016

There are no plans right now to implement ReSharper out of process with VS, but it’s definitely on the radar.

78. Brian K says:

January 13, 2016

Will this integrate nicely with other Microsoft products normally used by MS and .NET developers, such as TFS or IIS?

79. Gustav Yderland says:

January 13, 2016

Wow great work guys!! Finally! I love resharper and intellij, use them both daily.. I cant believe the Microsoft guys havent tried to incorporate some of your features natively. Now you can beat them at their own game 🙂
    How did you solve support for msproj? Will the ide import or will it use the msproj file natively? The actual project file gives me a headache every time.. Hope you just skip the darn thing 🙂
    Keep up the good work! Would love to try it out if possible!

80. Robert Armour says:

January 13, 2016

I used to develop in Java, and was used to intellij from the early days, but switched to the c# world some time ago, and have constantly been frustrated by how far behind the toolset was. At a Microsoft presentation, a couple of new refactoring features were announced, so I suggested that they should just buy jetbrains.
    When resharper came out, I had to fight to get it adopted by my co-workers, but they now realise what they’d been missing.
    For personal tinkering, I’ve been using VS community edition, but miss the resharper features, so will be eagerly awaiting the progress of Project Rider

81. Steve G says:

January 13, 2016

Is this 100% compatible with VS projects written on Windows?

I’ve always wanted to get rid of a VM on my Mac for NET but not sure if this product will solve this (i.e. Visual Code failed in this)

• Hadi Hariri says:

January 14, 2016

Yes. It’s 100% compatible.

• Dayan Ruben Gonzalez Basabe says:

Will be awesome. Thanks!

• Mark says:

January 15, 2016

Is there an alternate project? Part of the problem with VS is the projects. i.e. more like all other projects – Java, JavaScript, etc.

82. dashart.de – dahinter :: behind » Tweet :: RT @JetBrainsRider: Video of today’s Project Rider… says:

January 13, 2016

[…] RT @JetBrainsRider: Video of today’s Project Rider presentation now available! See the new C# IDE in action #ndclondon: blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2016/01… […]

83. Patrick says:

The best news I’ve had all year 🙂

I work on multiple projects in different languages. I dread every day I spend working on c# projects as I find VS so clunky and slow compared to the JetBrains IDE’s.

Fingers crossed I get the private EAP.

84. Matt Rix says:

January 14, 2016

Great stuff! If it’s anywhere close to the quality of other IntelliJ stuff, it should easily become my favourite C# IDE. Visual Studio was so bad I’ve been stuck using MonoDevelop for the past couple years.

85. Jason says:

January 14, 2016

What a massive disappointment. From a performance perspective Resharper is so slow and clunky, yet the features it has are so good. It’s a real shame that Roslyn isn’t being used for Reshaper, instead we have to pay the cost for Reshaper parsing and Roslyn parsing.

VS is fast and responsive without Reshaper, my crystal ball tells me that Roslyn based refactoring will eat Resharper’s lunch.

86. David Piepgrass says:

January 14, 2016

Visual Studio is one of the only things keeping me on Windows – and considering how disappointing MonoDevelop is, the lack of it on Linux is something that prevents some Linux users (e.g. academics) from using C#. I hope that project files will indeed be fully compatible with VS (in my project file I’ve still got hacks to support different versions of .NET Framework in different build configurations, I wonder if those will work in the new IDE…)

Will it have extensibility, such as support for something akin to [single-file generators](http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/995264/Avoid-tedious-coding-with-LeMP-Part)?

• Sergey Shkredov says:

January 14, 2016

Project files are going to be fully compatible with VS (actually these are the same .csproj/.vbproj/.xproj files that we have now in VisualStudio).
      Both IntelliJ and ReSharper are extensible and extensions will be supported in Rider.

87. Tiago says:

January 14, 2016

Why not make an IDE for Delphi / Free Pascal too?
    That has a great form editor as the Delphi / Lazarus and innovative components?

Hopefully editing forms for C # Desktop application is quality!

88. JetBrains 가 이젠 닷넷 IDE도 만든다! | 위험한 블로그 says:

[…] 진짜 JetBrain이 단단히 미쳤다. 그렇다면 블로그 원문 링크로 가도록 […]

89. Nathaniel Blackburn says:

January 14, 2016

I have always though this is one IDE these guys were missing and the recent commitment by Microsoft to be more open has allowed them to do this which is super exciting to me.

90. Jakub Holovsky says:

January 14, 2016

This is great, I am quite excited. Any competition to VS is good. The worst that can happen that VS will learn the good stuff from Rider and will implement it 😀 But I do hope that Rider will become something great (although it seems that it already is)

91. Leandro Cannizzaro says:

January 14, 2016

Yeahhh , really awesome. You are the best.

92. Robert says:

January 14, 2016

Will there also be a plugin for IntelliJ?
    I fear that it will be the same as with CLion, which cannot be used with intellij, although this would make a lot of sense for multi-language-projects…

January 14, 2016

There are technical reasons in the underlying IntelliJ Platform for implementing certain products as standalone IDEs. We’re looking to see if it will be feasible to also implement Rider as a plugin.

93. Project Rider – eine C#-IDE - entwickler.de says:

January 14, 2016

[…] Die Entwicklungsumgebung läuft derzeit auf Windows und OS X; auf Linux ist der Einsatz geplant. Im JetBrains-Blog gibt Matt Ellis einen Überblick über die neue […]

94. Well Guimaraes says:

Amazing news!

95. O que significa trabalhar com a plataforma Microsoft hoje e o que isso vai significar em alguns anos | Blogs da Lambda3 says:

January 14, 2016

[…] nova IDE para C# está sendo desenvolvida pela Telerik, que vai rodar em Windows, Linux e […]

96. A new C# IDE called Project Rider, Microsoft makes upgrading Windows 10 easier, and a new Web app programming language—SD Times digest: Jan. 14, 2016 - SD Times says:

January 14, 2016

[…] stages, the following features are already available, and a full list can be found on JetBrains’ blog: • Navigation, which integrates with IntelliJ Platform’s “Search Everywhere” feature to go […]

97. sbtk says:

Woooo! Go JetBrains, congratulations, this is amazing to see! <3

98. MisterJimson says:

January 14, 2016

Will this work with Xamarin? Currently Xamarin requires a Visual Studio extension, so I doubt it would work out of the box.

January 20, 2016

Nothing to announce right now, but we are definitely aware of this as a feature request.

99. rvdginste says:

January 14, 2016

Very excited about project Rider!

As I understand it, the dotPeek functionality will be integrated in the new IDE, but what about dotCover, dotTrace and dotMemory? Will this kind of functionality also be(come) available in the new IDE?

January 20, 2016

At some point, yes, we’d love to see code coverage and profiling in the IDE, but no plans right now.

100. Insanity says:

January 15, 2016

Christ almighty, why would I want to open my PC to the malware that is Java to write C# code? That is absolute insanity.

• Sensible Person says:

January 22, 2016

No, absolute insanity is claiming to be a developer worth a wad of dryer lint while being totally unaware of the difference between Java the language and VMs and Java the silly browser plugin.

101. Platformfüggetlen C# IDE-t jelentett be a JetBrains - Hírek - Prog.Hu says:

January 15, 2016

[…] az elmúlt években több más nyelv felé is nyitó JetBrains a héten egy teljesen új terméket jelentette be. A cég Project Rider kódnév alatt ugyanis nekilátott egy több platformon is futni képes C# […]

102. David Jiboye says:

January 15, 2016

This is cool. Great job.

103. 젯브레인스, C# IDE 만든다 – Soohong Park's Blog says:

January 15, 2016

[…] 14일(현지시간) 외신에 따르면, 젯브레인스는 NDC런던 행사에서 C# IDE ‘프로젝트 라이더’를 개발한다고 발표했다.(☞블로그 바로가기) […]

104. Dean Chalk says:

January 15, 2016

How interesting this may be depends on what platforms can be targeted when using the IDE on a Mac.
    Like most cross-platform developers, I use a Mac. For web development, the currently available technology does a great job already – and I am a big fan of Visual Studio Code and Sublime on the Mac for any web development – including ASP.NET
    Now, if you can make your new IDE target the Windows 10 Platform (which could be deployed to emulators on the Mac perhaps), then you’ve got a really cracking proposition. I’ve abandoned writing apps for the Windows 10 UAP platform because doing it on a Mac with Parallels is way too tedious (and no-one is buyng the apps anyway).
    Also, the Visual Studio Code support for ASP.NET is a bit limited, so a great ASP.NET dev experience would be great, but these days I see web development has pretty much moved away from ASP.Net in favour of full-stack javascript solutions

105. Tonci Jukic says:

January 15, 2016

Give us EAP? 🙂

106. JetBrains stellt eigentständige C# IDE vor – Der Bayer und der Würschtlmann says:

January 15, 2016

[…] Nichtsdesotrotz des frühen Entwicklerungszeitpunktes wurde auf der NPC in London ein erste Version der plattformjnabhängigen C# IDE mit dem Projektnamen “Project Rider” vorgestellt. […]

107. JetBrains Announces Project Rider, A Cross-Platform IDE For C# | Lifehacker Australia says:

January 16, 2016

[…] The words “ReSharper” and “cross-platform” are key here. While MonoDevelop and even Microsoft’s effort with Visual Studio Code offer non-Windows programmers a .NET IDE, they don’t really compare to VS. […]

108. Tom Miley says:

January 16, 2016

Does this mean there wont be a C# plugin for webstorm? The industry is moving towards being front end heavy which means i primarily need support for HTML/CSS/JS and a little C#. I dont need an editor dedicated to C#. I dont want to play musical editors and keep switching back and forth for a single project…

109. #overcommit 14 | abandonedmutex says:

January 16, 2016

[…] Project Rider […]

110. Szumma #024 – 2016 2. hét | d/fuel says:

January 16, 2016

[…] Project Rider – A C# IDE […]

111. Would C# be as popular without Visual Studio? – paulmccaskie.com says:

January 16, 2016

[…] JetBrains announced this week at NDC London that they are to release a cross platform .Net IDE, Rider. This could mean a genuine choice for developers, especially as the ReSharper commands will be […]

112. NDC London 2016 Onsdagen – Squeed Team Blog says:

January 17, 2016

[…] Som härlig bonus på första dagen så presenterade Jetbrains sin nya C# och .NET IDE för första gången. Den kallas just nu för Project Rider och är en cross-platform IDE som bygger på samma utseende som deras andra IDEr. För er som har använd WebStorm eller IntelliJ IDEA så kommer ni känna igen er. https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2016/01/13/project-rider-a-csharp-ide/ […]

113. F# Weekly #2-#3, 2016 | Sergey Tihon's Blog says:

January 17, 2016

[…] Project Rider was announced – A C# IDE written in Kotlin […]

114. Les liens de la semaine – Édition #167 | French Coding says:

January 18, 2016

[…] Project Rider, un IDE de développement développé en C#. […]

115. mikle says:

January 18, 2016

Epic new year gift! Can’t wait for EAP

116. Dor Ben Dov says:

January 19, 2016

Great news, now we just need to hear that this new IDE able also to run on Linux and that would be big Breaker.

117. 2016-01-19 : Bucket full of links! - Magnus Udbjørg says:

January 19, 2016

[…] Project Rider – A C# Ide […]

118. Project Rider: New C# IDE from JetBrains | .NET Reference says:

January 19, 2016

[…] Project Rider is based on the IntelliJ Platform and using ReSharper technology. ReSharper is a Visual Studio extension, but Project Rider is a standalone IDE. A private preview is expected towards the end of February 2016. Price and licensing details have not yet been announced. Read the JetBrains blog: https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2016/01/13/project-rider-a-csharp-ide/ […]

119. Tech News (Jan-20) - Vitali Shcharbin says:

January 20, 2016

[…] Project Rider – A C# IDE […]

120. Bernardo Esbérard says:

January 21, 2016

This is wonderful!
    I’m a partner in a brazilian startup and I’m very interested in this private EAP of the Project-Rider.

Please!!!!

121. Adaptech Solutions | Rapid Application Development Doesn’t Mean Fast Typing says:

January 21, 2016

[…] it gets better, hell froze over and JetBrains announced ProjectRider a couple of weeks ago. A cross-platform C# IDE in line with the rest of their IDEs that brings all […]

122. Marcel Bradea says:

January 22, 2016

Will you guys be supporting NuGet out of the box for the EAP?
    ie: Discovering, installing/updating/managing pacakges

Amazing work guys!

January 26, 2016

That’s the current plan, yes.

123. Andrew says:

January 23, 2016

Great news!

Do you have any plans on PowerShell support?

January 26, 2016

No, we’re only really supporting what’s already in ReSharper, which doesn’t have any support for PowerShell.

124. Petr Havelka says:

January 26, 2016

EAP for me please:)

125. 6 Trends for 2016 | The 6 Figure Developer says:

January 26, 2016

[…] announced a couple weeks ago was Project Rider. This IDE from JetBrains is going to go a long way to helping acclimate the changes coming down […]

126. The week in .NET - 1/25/2016 - .NET Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs says:

January 26, 2016

[…] JetBrains announced a new cross-platform IDE for C#. […]

127. vitaliy rybalka says:

February 1, 2016

EAP! We all scream for ice cream.

128. 주간닷넷 2016년 1월 25일 - Korea Evangelist - Site Home - MSDN Blogs says:

February 2, 2016

[…] Cross-platform IDE for C# : JetBrains 는 크로스 플랫폼을 지원하는 C# 통합 개발 환경을 발표했습니다. […]

129. Tooling in the .net World – Actively Lazy says:

February 3, 2016

[…] so much lipstick that JetBrains can put on that particular pig. I do however have great hope for Project Rider, basically IntelliJ for […]

130. Andrey says:

February 5, 2016

IntelliSharpIdea 🙂

131. .NET i jiné ... : Odkazy z prohlížeče – 6.2.2016 says:

February 6, 2016

[…] Project Rider – A C# IDE – ReSharper Ultimate Blog – IDE založené na IntelliJ […]

132. Parsing Your Options | CR 191 | Jupiter Broadcasting says:

February 8, 2016

[…] JetBrains Project Rider […]

133. Jacob Harrison says:

February 9, 2016

So excited for this, you have no idea!

Would absolutely love to be part of the private EAP. Please contact me, or post updated information on how to get into it.

Thanks,

134. Stefan Z Camilleri says:

February 10, 2016

Searching for the EAP everyday 😉 Can’t wait for it!

135. Early Access to Project Rider – JetBrains new Cross-Platform C# IDE says:

February 12, 2016

[…] on a new cross-platform C# IDE called “Project Rider”. They announced the project in a blog post back in January, and it’s basically a cross-platform C# IDE based on IntelliJ and ReSharper […]

136. Antonio Campos says:

February 12, 2016

Looks absolutely amazing, but if it will have some support or features for Unity you can be sure I’ll say goodbye to Visual Studio.

• Ehsan says:

July 2, 2016

Me too, I’m going to uninstall Visual Studio as Rider starts supporting Asp.Net MVC. 🙂

137. Robin says:

February 12, 2016

Subscribed to EAP program. Very excited to test.

138. Project Rider – dostęp do Early Builds – Grzegorz Dudek says:

February 12, 2016

[…] Tych z was, którzy do tej pory nie słyszeli o Project Rider, odsyłam do wpisu na firmowym blogu JetBrains, gdzie znaleźć można min. zapis video z sesji, na której po raz pierwszy zaprezentowano Project Rider. https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2016/01/13/project-rider-a-csharp-ide/ […]

139. Kotlin 1.0 Released: Pragmatic Language for JVM and Android | Kotlin Blog says:

February 15, 2016

[…] we’re happy to say that to date, close to 10 JetBrains products, which include IntelliJ IDEA, JetBrains Rider, JetBrains Account & E-Shop, YouTrack as well as some of our smaller IDE’s and some […]

140. Kotlin 1.0 正式发布: JVM 和 Android 上更好用的语言-雨晨'S Blog says:

February 16, 2016

[…] JetBrains 产品使用 Kotlin 开发,包含IntelliJ IDEA, JetBrains Rider ,JetBrains Account 和 E-Shop,YouTrack 以及部分 IDE。因此 Kotlin […]

141. Kotlin 1.0 リリース: JVMとAndroid向けの実用的(Pragmatic)言語 | JetBrains ブログ says:

February 17, 2016

[…] IDEA、JetBrains Rider、JetBrains Account & […]

142. Putra Code says:

February 19, 2016

Awesome work guys.

143. 本周的.NET ­— 1/25/2016 | .NET 中文博客 says:

February 19, 2016

[…] JetBrains宣布一个C#新的跨平台的IDE。 […]

144. Tom Needham says:

February 20, 2016

Will there be a Community Edition of Rider?

145. Lorenzo Nuvoletta says:

February 24, 2016

While ReSharper is an amazing tool for VisualStudio it still requires you to work on Windows.
    Many Unity developers work on Macs because of the XCode deployment.
    In my opinion I see C# Unity development as the primary reason for Rider to exist.

146. Mike says:

February 27, 2016

I haven’t seen it mentioned here, so _please_ provide a (comments-based) disabling of auto format for sections of code.

IDEA handles it for Java. I expect nothing less than previous excellence from a C# editor from you.

147. Andrew Hirst says:

March 1, 2016

So, I’ve downloaded the EAP. I created a Console application and on entering ‘Console.’ and expecting the intellisense, the ‘IDE’ became unresponsive (spinning beachball). Had to drop down to the terminal to kill the process. I restarted it and tried again. Didn’t even get so far as to enter any code. The application failed to respond. On the third occasion I dragged Rider into the waste bin, along with WebStorm which I’ve never liked. Thank god they got it right mostly with Resharper. I’m well aware this is an early access product but come on – 5 seconds of coding and two hangs!!

• Hadi Hariri says:

March 2, 2016

Andrew, that behaviour is not normal. If you decide to try it again, feel free to reach out to us and we’ll try and investigate to see what causes it.

Thanks.

• Andrew Hirst says:

March 8, 2016

I reinstalled and gave this another shot. This time around I suffered no crashes in around 30 mins of use and consequently I was able to take Rider for a test-drive. I have to say I absolutely love it. It was responsible and as a long-time Resharper user, instantly familiar. The IDE is beautiful and along with VS Code, really gives me a thrill at seeing C# code (my primary language since it’s beta in September 2000) running without Parallels on a Mac. I’m expecting this to become my number one .NET Core IDE over time. It has also renewed my faith in Webstorm and I’m busy looking at WS12 right now particularly as I’m working on a project with Angular 2 and TypeScript.

Well done guys and keep working hard to get this to market.

March 9, 2016

Thanks for giving it another go, Andrew!

148. JRoger says:

March 2, 2016

I installed then opened and got this error message “Unable to perform Build: Select toolset to perform build”
    OS: Windows 7 SP1

149. Ben du Plessis says:

March 3, 2016

Can Rider pull Nuget packages from a local NuGet server like ProGet

150. James Kim says:

March 27, 2016

What source control integration does it support? Also can it support custom build targets? I’m thinking custom build targets that will execute powershell, do some file copying/zipping and configuration transformations (typical DevOps stuff). Also wondering if it supports templates like VSTO projects, etc.

April 11, 2016

It uses IntelliJ’s source control implementation, so it supports everything that IntelliJ does, including Git, SVN, and so on. You can read more here: https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/2016.1/version-control-with-intellij-idea.html

Right now, Rider doesn’t have specific support for custom build targets. When building, it invokes MSBuild with the usual “build” and “clean” targets. However, you could add a build/run configuration that invokes msbuild or xbuild and passes in a specific target.

151. Jan Rabe says:

April 5, 2016

What about Linq support? :O

April 11, 2016

Rider will support the same features for LINQ that ReSharper does, such as context actions to rewrite from query form to extension methods, and rewrite a foreach loop into a LINQ statement. Is there anything else you’d like to see?

152. Carlos says:

June 5, 2016

Do you have plan to support ASP Core 1.0, and desktop app?

June 6, 2016

Yes, Rider already includes support for ASP.NET Core 1.0, and the next private EAP build will update that to include the latest fixes for RC2. As for desktop apps, we will provide XAML editing support, but no designers as such.

153. Markus says:

June 17, 2016

Please, add Unity 3D support. It would be a great alternative to MonoDevelop.

• Tzelon mahloof says:

July 1, 2016

154. hismichael says:

June 30, 2016

Great tool!

Somehow I don’t feel that reusing ReSharper in this way won’t save effort in the long run.

155. hismichael says:

June 30, 2016

Great tool!

Somehow I don’t feel that reusing ReSharper in this way will save effort in the long run.

156. Ehsan says:

July 2, 2016

Love your IDEs, its much better than Visual Studio.

And Intellij IDEA ( Every time I imagine Eclipse I get headaches ) which is perfect and also Webstorm is the best.

JetBrains please keep on going and create at least one IDE for every programming language!

157. Ehsan says:

July 2, 2016

Please support Asp.net MVC also its the main framework I use with C#. Thanks, Your always the best 🙂

158. Ehsan says:

July 2, 2016

Great tool as I tested 🙂

159. Günhan Sancar says:

July 22, 2016

+1 for Unity3D support in Project Rider.

There is a huge developer community waits for it.

160. Vladimir says:

July 28, 2016

+1 for Unity3D

161. ruurd says:

July 28, 2016

OK this is great. Maybe I will dabble a bit in C# just to get a feel for it. I stayed away from it because of its tainted nature. Is there support for Android and/or iOS projects?

162. Micheal Ivan says:

August 5, 2016

Why not make an IDE for Delphi / Free Pascal too?
    That has a great form editor as the Delphi / Lazarus and innovative components?

• David Harper says:

October 20, 2016

+1 for Delphi

163. Rapid Application Development Doesn’t Mean Fast Typing – Adaptech Solutions says:

August 29, 2016

164. Mohammed Yehia says:

November 4, 2016

Hello guys,

I am totally new to asp.net mvc applications using c# but I am not new to MVC programming as I came from a very strong PHP MVC background. I went through ASP.NET CORE and did a lot if application samples on Mac OSX. Did a lot of stuff from changing sqlite to mysql and postgresql to scaffolding the project like VISUAL STUDIO do. My question is while I was investigating through dotnet cli I found a command line that can help you do the same scaffolding as Visual Studio do which is dotnet aspnet-codegenerator and it really helped me a lot scaffoling my project each time I create a new model and do database migration, will you guys implement a full scaffolding tool like the one visual studio does ??

November 16, 2016

Rider includes a number of project templates in the box – .NET Framework as well as .NET Core, console app, library, web app and tests. We don’t integrate into the existing ASP.NET Core scaffolding tools, and we’re going to wait for the dust to settle a bit with the changes to the project system (e.g. project.json changing to .csproj and dotnet being a thin wrapper around msbuild) before we decide on if we’ll support it.

165. Adiq says:

November 4, 2016

Would it be possible to make also good documentation tool for C# projects, once Project Rider is ready?
    I’ve seen how quickly you can generate documentation with @Javadoc and it would be awesome for C# projects to have tool to quickly generate, nice looking documentation like docs.microsoft.com
    Currently, there is no tool to generate documentation from XML doc comments, so code is often under-documented.
    Maybe some integration for such tool, with YouTracker, so there would be no need to manually build HTML, but automatic build for browsable documentation from source code?

166. Ehouarn Perret says:

November 22, 2016

Great work, just merely, if you have heard of any issues regarding the speed of Raider… I’m running it on Ubuntu and it seems that others (PyCharm, IntellijIDEA, etc.) are running far smoother than Raider, it’s probably a matter of time, but just would like to know whether my concern is shared by some others on the Linux platform.

167. JF Peyroux says:

December 18, 2016

When will Rider support proportional spacing fonts? It is a big things for some, as it improves text readability, hence developers’ productivity. It is not by a huge amount, but freebie are always good to take. (It is does not look like this blog uses fixed pitch fonts, which is the point in case. It is the same folks who refuse to use Resharper despite the proven productivity gain because it is not what was available to them when they were in school, who refuse to use proportional font because grandpa in the 1980’s used fixed pitch font because proportional fonts was not avail at the time).

168. Jan van Veldhuizen says:

January 5, 2017

Hi, I am an EAP user and I am using Rider on Ubuntu on a daily basis. It works great!

169. Fabio says:

January 18, 2017

Hi i installed the new version this morning, but i’m still found a bug.
    If I create a new file (no matter if c#, Html or ither) the pointer of the text is strange and i am not able to write code. If i try to write, it select text instead.
    If I double click on text (for example a variable) it select it, but if I press on keyboard delete key ( or any key) it move selection up and down and do not delete code.
    I work with a Mac Book.
    How is possible?
    How can i fix it?
    Thx

170. pecopeco says:

January 23, 2017

I don’t still understand what the best plactice of code style settings for Rider and XamarinStudio is.
    Also not sure what the best gitignore for them.

Github’s gitignore have `.idea/` as ignored directory.
    Does it correct?

And I want to ask these questions in a forum for Rider.

171. Fraser says:

September 14, 2017

Glad Jet Brains is doing this, but it will be a long road to go before it can compete with VS. I would be sad to use VS without R# but I think VS will capture what I like about R# before Rider captures what I like about VS.

Any one know where a feature list for rider can be found? Or what support if any it has for SOAP web services?

• Yuri says:

September 14, 2017

That’s what I stick on vscode. Because VS for Mac suxs.

September 18, 2017

We’re working on a detailed feature list and comparison to Visual Studio, with and without ReSharper.

But the easiest thing to suggest is to give it a go. It’s already very feature rich – it’s got a huge range of functionality from both IntelliJ and ReSharper. So there are already thousands of inspections, quick fixes and refactorings, as well as other IDE features like debugger and (really fast) NuGet support.

It doesn’t make any changes to your file formats, so it’s perfectly safe to download the trial and test it with your solution.

172. Francho García says:

March 21, 2018

Hello,
    First at all, thank you very much for the blog.
    I have one doubt, is it possible to create forms (GUI) for C# projects? I would like to do desktop apps.
    Thanks in advance.
    BR!

March 29, 2018

Rider doesn’t have a WinForms designer. However, the latest Early Access Program (EAP) build for Rider 2018.1 includes a WPF preview tool window. You can find out more in this blog post.