ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.4 and Rider 2018.3.4 are released!

Today it is time to introduce you the new bug-fix update for 2018.3 releases of both ReSharper Ultimate and Rider.

ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.4 fixes some critical issues which prevented using ReSharper in the Visual Studio 2019 Release Candidate build:

• Both ReSharper and Visual Studio code completion popups appeared at the same time RSRP-473453.
  • The “New project” wizard was broken RSRP-472852.

Rider 2018.3.4 fixes the wrong URL for the Help | Contact Support action (RIDER-24391) and gets all the fixes from our IntelliJ Platform.

To install ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.4, you can either download the build from www.jetbrains.com or run ReSharper | Help | Check for Updates right in MS Visual Studio.

As usual, there are several ways to get Rider 2018.3.4:

• Download and install from www.jetbrains.com.
  • Update right inside Rider: select Help | Check for updates.
  • Use our Toolbox App.
  • Use this snap package from the SnapCraft store, but only if you are using a compatible Linux distro.
This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.4 and Rider 2018.3.4 are released!

1. Pingback: ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.4 and Rider 2018.3.4 are released!  | OPCDiary

2. Gabriel Lozano-Moran says:

When I try to updating through ReSharper | Help | Check for Updates right in MS Visual Studio I see that “all products are up to date”. But in the About dialog box of ReSharper I see that I am running ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.3 and that there is an update 2018.3.4.

3. cocowalla says:

Any news on when 2019.1 is expected?

4. Maf says:

“Extension ‘JetBrains ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3.4 183.0’ likely caused 14 seconds of unresponsiveness. Disabling it may improve your experience.”

Same old same old

5. Hamza Waseem says:

Any GUI designer like in VS (drag and drop components)?

6. Hotdog says:

I hope JetBrains realizes that a lot of people are suffering and hating ReSharper in silence, waiting for that moment when Visual Studio refactoring, editing and analysis tools become good enough to discard it.
    Why? Because it’s so slow, so resource intensive that it’s extremely annoying and leads to a lot of defiance against it.
    If you care about the future of your product, you should make it so that we don’t notice the performance impact anymore. I hope that you didn’t make the wrong choice by continuing with your own engine instead of integrating with Roslyn.

• cocowalla says:

It feels like ReSharper is a necessary evil with Visual Studio. The performance issues have been driving me crazy for years. Like you, I was waiting on JetBrains to fix it, or Microsoft to make R# redundant.

I recently gave up and switched to Rider – it’s a *fantastic* IDE, close to feature parity with VS (it has some things VS doesn’t and vice-vera), and it’s great to code without my laptop fans constantly whining like a jet engine! I highly recommend Ride – if you haven’t tried it, or haven’t tried it for a long while, give it a go.

• Uwe says:

I do hate the Eclipse IDE of all the JetBrains products very much. It looks complicated, unesthetic and overloaded with features, tiny buttons, and the like.

Just as the cockpit of an Audi e-tron looks compared to the minmal elegance of a Tesla Model 3.

• cocowalla says:

That was my first thought when I started it up for the first time, but I managed to get it setup quite nicely:

– standard Darcula theme
          – standard ReSharper Dark scheme
          – 3rd party Color IDE plugin[0]
          – Font in Appearance & Behaviour set to Segoe UI, size 16
          – Font in Editor set to Consolas, size 18, line spacing 1.0

With this setup, it’s actually not a million miles away from Visual Studio with a dark theme. The buttons don’t appear to be any smaller than Visual Studio’s.

I really do wish it was easier to customise the colour scheme of the IDE without resorting to plugins though – you can easily change the scheme of the editor, but not the solution tree, side panels, menus etc (this is where the Color IDE plugin comes in, at least for the Solution tree).

There have been tickets open for *9 years* and *4 years* respectively about this:

[0] https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/7055-color-ide

• cocowalla says:

Forgot to add, there is an amazing Material Theme[0] plugin for Rider, which can customise much of the IDE colour scheme – but I had performance and crashing issues with it.

IMO JetBrains just need to pull their finger out and add theming support for the whole UI. I honestly think that would help drive adoption of Rider (as well as other IntelliJ apps).

[0] https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8006-material-theme-ui

7. Raymond Wilson says:

Reshaper 2018.3.4 appears to have broken unit test coverage.

Each unit test project generates an error like this in the Unit Test Sessions log:

ERROR Coverage analysis: Processing coverage snapshots: ‘C:\Users\rwilson\AppData\Local\Temp\ssd.Turysob.tmp’ failed: A task was canceled.

Deleting the Resharper caches plus cleaning and rebuilding the project has made no difference.

8. Dan Roddis says:

Rider 2018.3.4 seems to have broken all my SDK references e.g. Using System etc all showing red formatting

9. Nicolas says:

When I upgraded to VS2019 (16.0.0.0) I lost my ‘Resharper’ menu. I tried reinstalling R# but I still can’t see it. Is there a workaround to get it back?