Free Your Services From Vendor Lock-in with OpenTelemetry – Webinar Recording
The recording of our webinar, Free Your Services From Vendor Lock-in with OpenTelemetry, with Vera Reynolds and Phillip Carter, is now available. Subscribe to our community newsletter to receive notifications about future webinars.
OpenTelemetry is a vendor-neutral Observability framework for cloud-native software. It’s a set of APIs, SDKs, and tools so that you can better understand your software’s performance and behavior. Holy terminology, batman! This calls for an explainer.
In this session, Vera and Phillip will walk you through what OpenTelemetry is from a developer’s standpoint, why you should choose it if you’re building cloud-native applications, how you instrument a system with OpenTelemetry, and survey some backends for the data it generates. At the end of this session, you should feel equipped to start instrumenting your own codebase with OpenTelemetry.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 4:35 Start Phillip Presentation
- 8:54 Answering question about your systems
- 9:46 What data is involved?
- 11:38 How to generate data. OpenTelemetry
- 11:55 What is OpenTelemetry?
- 14:48 Components of OpenTelemetry
- 16:28 OpenTelemetry APIS
- 17:51 Context Propagation
- 19:40 Automatic Instrumentation
- 22:14 SDKs, Distributions, Exporters, Collector
- 26:07 The OpenTelemetry Collector
- 28:51 Demo Time with Vera
- 35:35 Adding our own instrumentation
- 39:24 Adding our own attributes
- 42:18 Inspecting outliers in Honeycomb UI
- 49:16 Questions
- 1:06:18 Wrap up
- OpenTelemetry NuGet Packages
- Vera Reynolds on Twitter
- Phillip Carter on Twitter
About the presenters:
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!