Next Batch of In-Depth Screencasts: VCS

In January we recorded a series of screencasts that introduced the major features of PyCharm — an overview, installation, editing, running, debugging, etc. In April we did our first “in-depth” screencast, focusing on testing.

We’re happy to announce the next in-depth screencasts, and note the plural: this is a 3-part series on using version control systems (VCS) in PyCharm. The JetBrains IDEs, including PyCharm, have worked very hard over the years to put a productive, easy UI atop version control. These videos spend more time showing the features that are available.

In the first video we cover Getting Started with VCS, going over: Versioning without a VCS using Local History, Setting Up a Local Git Repository, Uploading to GitHub, and Getting a Checkout from GitHub.

Next, we go over Core VCS: Color Coding, Adding Files, Committing Changes, Using Refactor, then Diff, History, Revert, and Update.

The last video concentrates on Branching, Merging, and Pushing:

We’re very happy to release these in-depth screencasts, which we’ve been working on for some time and were highly requested. And again, if you have any topics that you’d like to see get expanded screencast attention, let us know.

This entry was posted in Screencast, Tutorial, Video. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Next Batch of In-Depth Screencasts: VCS

1. Steve Piercy says:

Adding this one feature would remove a barrier to the usefulness of VCS in PyCharm, IDEA-87099 Provide ability to add remote repositories to local git repository.

• Paul Everitt says:

I’ve honestly never come across that feature hole or that ticket. The ticket title is a little misleading…you can actually attach *one* remote. But for the case you outlined for Pyramid, I can see how that would eliminate a trip to the command line, for people that have multiple upstreams. That’s not in scope for these videos, but I might have it for an advanced VCS screencast in the future.

• Paul Everitt says:

Steve, if it’s ok with you, I’ll ping you offline to make sure I can recreate the workflow you’re talking about. I’ll then check around internally.

2. Andrew says:

I love how PyCharm shows uncommited changes. Is there any way to show the same way all changes made on branch compared to master (even commited)?
    Uncommited changes are great but they are developing bad habits when I’m delaying commits to not lose change marks.

• Paul Everitt says:

The branch menu lets you compare two branches. Let me know if you need a little video showing it.

• Andrew says:

Yes, I know that, but I’m talking about marking changes before commit. I would like this marks to not disapear after commit and constantly show changes between branch and master.

• Paul Everitt says:

No, those kinds of indicators show the changes in the working set relative to the branch, not the branch relative to another branch.

3. David Zemon says:

Paul,

I’ve used PyCharm and IntelliJ Community Editions for years as “standalone” VCS GUIs because they’re so wonderfully easy and powerful. You clearly see power too, based on the title of this blog post. Is there any chance JetBrains could release a standalone application that contains the VCS plugin and nothing else? I think it could become very popular and replace the multitude of other tools out there like git-gui, Atlassian SourceTree, TortoiseGit, TortoiseSVN, etc, etc, etc….

Thanks,
    David

• Paul Everitt says:

Hi David. That’s an interesting idea. In the past year, we’ve released DataGrip, and IDE for databases, which basically took that plugin and made a standalone commercial product. Understand though that it would be a commercial VCS GUI, which would thus be positioned differently than some you listed.

4. Steve Piercy says:

One of my favorite and frequently used features is Compare with Branch:

It works with folders, too, not just files. This powerful feature makes it a breeze to compare details in documentation across a multi-branch/version project like Pyramid. Backporting changes from master to each version is no longer painful.