ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3 starts Early Access Program

We’ve started a new Early Access Program cycle for ReSharper Ultimate – please welcome ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3 EAP.

ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3 EAP

Let me highlight the big changes in the ReSharper 2018.3 EAP1 build:

• We’ve implemented the Introduce parameter refactoring for local functions.
  • Lots of new inspections, quick-fixes, and context actions have been added to C# code analysis for different cases:
    • Add an explicit tuple component name.
    • Split ||-expressions in switch case guard clauses into separate switch cases.
    • Detect format strings that were incorrectly used as interpolated strings.
    • Use string interpolation, convert LINQ to XML/JSON, and format items highlighting for the string.Concat method.
    • Initialize members to create and fill the object initializer.
  • An improved context action “Deconstruct variable” is available on usages and on parameters, and supports deep nested deconstructions.
  • Show Inspection Help is now available for inspections in the Inspection Results and Error in Solution windows if the inspection has a corresponding WebHelp article.
  • The Go To Action popup allows looking for Options pages.
  • You can select which font style ReSharper Editor Adornments should inherit: Visual Studio IntelliSense or Text Editor.
  • We’ve made ReSharper more FIPS-compliant by stopping the use of the md5 hash algorithm and eliminating all its previous uses in the codebase.
  • The whole list of fixes is available here.

Other tools from ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3 family have received an update as well:

• ReSharper C++ 2018.3 EAP introduces predefined naming schemes for common C++ code standards. It also makes several usability improvements to Parameter Info, and adds the Specify template arguments explicitly context action for use with C++17 class template argument deduction. Finally, it includes several fixes that improve performance during solution opening (in particular for projects that use Unreal Engine).
  • dotTrace 2018.3 EAP gets a new subfilter in the Timeline Viewer, which allows you to analyze how the allocated memory is distributed between the objects of a certain type.
  • dotMemory 2018.3 EAP gets a new condition on the profiling controller for taking a snapshot: Get a snapshot if total memory usage exceeds X MB. Also, the view showing objects queued for finalization (the result of the Finalizable objects inspection) allows opening these objects and analyzing them in other dotMemory views.
  • dotPeek 2018.3 EAP supports decompiling local functions and pattern matching and makes it possible to copy the fully qualified name (FQN) of a symbol to the clipboard.

Download ReSharper EAP

This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to ReSharper Ultimate 2018.3 starts Early Access Program

1. Pingback: The Morning Brew - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #2681

2. Pelle says:

Please focus on performance, it’s still way too slow!

• Daniel Kuschny says:

I can only agree on that. Since a few releases the performance is degrading more and more. I’m really looking forward to R# becoming an out-of-process extension to overcome all this performance issues caused by the 32bit VS limitations.

With every release R# performance seems to be degrading (hanging and memory wise). I have no problem with high memory usage in general, but as R# is still running in the 32bit VS shell it actually is a problem. CPU wise it is hard to tell what causes the hangs as there might be many features involved. But already when creating a new WPF project makes VS report a 5-6sec hang because of R#.

I cannot believe that his is not a known and reproducible thing at JetBrains, it should not be a need that customers always provide reports and dumps with every release and nothing changes. If the out-of-process R# is still a long way to go, please try to focus a bit more on performance than on new features. C# evolving that fast does not make it easier for you and Resharper C++ has tons of features in the pipe you want to ship. But I believe I speak for many if I say: I rather prefer a fast R# with the existing feature than a slow one with fancy new stuff.

• Mark says:

Agreed. Even medium sized files become practically unusable due to Resharper’s increasingly degraded performance. It has got to the point where we have Resharper switched off more often than not, and are considering cancelling our subscription.

• Marek Chramosil says:

I concur. At a certain point you have to stop pushing features and address the incredibly slow performance. I just bought a year long subscription, but resharper is unusable on my current solution (bigger, sitecore, ~100k files). So I had to disable it and now I am paying basically for nothing. If the performance doesnt improve within a year, I will not be prolonging my subscription.

(I realize the solution size is suboptimal, but it is client’s project and I have little say in the matter.)

• Daria Dovzhikova says:

Hi Marek, terribly sorry to hear that. Is it possible for you to share a perf snapshot with us? It would be very helpful.
          Meanwhile, you can cancel your subscription and get a refund since you cannot benefit from the tool. Please ping sales@jetbrains.com for assistance.

• Marek Chramosil says:

I will check with the client regarding sensitive information.
            I would like to emphasize, I am not looking to get money back, I like resharper and would like to use it daily, so I would much prefer if you could work on the performance on big projects.

• Magnus Persson says:

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve stooped using re-sharper (although I really love its features) because it makes me more unproductive due to the constant waiting times. I think in our company there is only 2 left using it.
      So although the new features seems really nice, if I cant use the product I does not matter.

3. Patrick Blackman says:

Resharper still continue to treat the keyword (c#) default as an error, to avoid the error one has to state ” default(T)

• Alexander Kurakin says:

@Patrick, are you able to provide more details on the issue? I was not able to reproduce the case default is marked as an error.

• Patrick Blackman says:

Say I have a line of code like
        var result = default(T);
        when I run the code cleanup (using stypecop settings in resharper) I then get :
        var result = default;
        and resharper then flags that line of code with a red marker in the right margin as an error, The code still compiles but the red marker remains.

• Alexander Kurakin says:

@Patrick, var result = default; is not a valid construction, the latest MSBuild is failed to compile this with Error CS0815: Cannot assign default to an implicitly-typed variable. What ReSharper and ‘Stylecop by JetBrains’ versions do you use which lead you to remove (T) on cleanup, I was not able to reproduce this behavior?

• Patrick Blackman says:

When I say “error” I mean it shows a red marker in the right margin but the code compiles ok,

4. Jozef says:

ReSharper is making Visual Studio unusable. I don’t understand you are not focusing on making it performant.