Rider 2017.3 is released

The Rider team has been on fire lately, and in an unprecedented sprint, the folks have just come up with their third major release in the span of 5 months: please welcome Rider 2017.3 RTM.
Rider 2017.3 RTM

Read below for the list of Rider 2017.3 highlights.

• Debugging third-party code: you can now step through and set breakpoints in assemblies that Rider decompiles on the fly.
  • Smart Step Into: when you debug method chains or nested method calls, choose a particular call to step into, while stepping over all other calls in a line.
  • Return values in locals: function return values are displayed in the Variables
    view, which is useful when the result of a method call is not stored in a local variable.
  • More debugger improvements: debugger actions are available in the Alt+Enter
    menu; you can now drag-and-drop the execution pointer to an earlier or later location in code; and callers of async functions are now displayed in the Frames view.
  • New project wizard: Rider introduces a different grouping of project templates, allows creating repositories along with new solutions, and streamlines installing additional project templates.
  • Unit testing improvements, including new actions, local shortcuts, and more reliable filtering in the unit testing view.
  • C# Interactive tool window to execute C# statements without having to wait for compilation.
  • Unity support improvements, such as new context actions and code inspections, improved usability of code completion, and syntax highlighting in compute shaders.
  • Config transformations to modify settings in Web.config and App.config
    when packaging applications.
  • Reworked formatter: Rider has learned to align code in columns, apply other new code styles, as well as disable or enable formatting for selected blocks of code.
  • More changes from ReSharper 2017.3, including a C# 7 ready Extract Method refactoring, more C# typing assists, and improved support for VB.NET.
  • More frontend features: notably, Rider bundles more IntelliJ Platform plugins for front-end development such as TSLint, CoffeeScript, Karma, and Stylus.
  • Changes from IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3, including a new editor-based REST client, version control and database tooling updates, and a reworked Docker configuration system.
  • Performance improvements on loading and reloading projects, in debugger. and in code completion.
  • More changes related to NuGet and MSBuild support, keymaps, settings, and Find Usages.

Learn more and download Rider 2017.3 for Windows, macOS, or Linux to use it with your active subscription, or take it for a 30-day trial.

This entry was posted in How-To's and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Rider 2017.3 is released

1. Congratulations to all involved!

2. Derek Price says:

I almost can’t wait to get back to work from vacation. Almost…

3. Ilya Reva says:

Thanks for all improvements!

4. JS says:

It is amazing just how far Rider is ahead of Visual Studio. We work on quite big solution (over 100 projects) and we had to switch to Rider (2017.1 at that time) because VS in recent versions went from ‘irritating as hell’ to ‘unusable’. Just try staring at frozen VS window for 10 minutes (I am not exaggerating here) every time we load a solution, switch a branch or run a build.
    Money well spent and gains in productivity already repaid it many times over. So big thanks and keep up the great work!

• SM says:

I work on a bigger solution (186 projects) and find VS much faster. Especially v15.5.2.
      VS is only ‘irritating as hell’ to ‘unusable’ when paired with Resharper.
      Rider is a very good alternative especially for my Linux setup which i think is the main target of Jebrains (along with MacOS). Trying to compete with VS is hard but it seems it is getting better and better.

• Kirill Skrygan says:

Hi!

My name is Kir, I’m leading Rider project.
        We are keen to make Rider faster than VS in any kind and we are very interested in the following:
        1) Getting your solution and optimizing Rider performance for it. Indeed we can sing NDA if it is needed.
        2) If 1 is not possible we can arrange a skype(or whatever) session, take a look at performance problems, get snapshots (via dotTrace/yourkit) and investigate them.

If you are interested in any of these, please ping me via kirill.skrygan at jetbrains com.

Thanks!
        Kir.

• Phil Lee says:

I’m in partial agreement here. We have a 169 project which used to be hell to load but now loads in seconds with VS 15.5.2 – but only when R# isn’t enabled. R# slows VS down a lot in general.

I’m currently torn between keeping R# and giving up on it after using it since V1.5. If the R# team would make R# run outside of the VS process as has been done for Rider that would be different.

I find Rider very fast and response even with the large solution. What’s stopping me using it more is lack of support for TFS 2013 (which I’m unfortunately stuck with for now).

• Julia Vaseva says:

Indeed, the bundled VSTS plugin doesn’t support TFS prior to 2015. The plugin developers ask to vote for TFS 2013 support here on VSTS issue tracker.

As a workaround, you can use “TFS Integration” plugin to work with TFS 2013, which is not a recommended one for Rider though.

5. Peter says:

I remembered got a coupon code valid until december 31st, so I thought I’d give it a try before my coupon expired. The coupon didn’t work anyway (the page said it was invalid), but luckily there was a 30 day trial period available once I downloaded the software.

I’m working on a mid-size solution (150-ish projects, 300k LOC) and Visual Studio became very sluggish lately. We used to use Resharper with VS, however each one of us figured out the only way to have any sort of responsiveness from VS was to turn off the Resharper, which was unfortunate, because Resharper is a really wonderful tool.

So I tried to load my solution with Rider, hoping for a better Resharper integration. Resharper however just kept loading it endlessly. I waited for 40-something minutes without any response before closing Rider down.

Am I doing something wrong

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Peter, it doesn’t look like you’re doing anything wrong so far, and infinite solution load is certainly not what we expect Rider to do. I’ll look for someone who can guide you through troubleshooting in the next few days. Apologies.

• Jura Gorohovsky says:

Peter, for your reference, here’s a reply that was apparently addressed to you but misplaced.

6. Kirill Falk says:

Peter, sorry for any inconveniences with R# and Rider. Could you please zip and send us your log files Rider-Help-Show logs in Explorer. Also, please try to take a performance snapshot from VS instance with R# installed. BTW, what kind of projects are in you solution ? What VS version do you have on your machine ? Thnx in advance!

7. Mary says:

I loaded the latest Resharper in VS 2017 and am experiencing a lag of almost a minute on load. VS also suggest disabling Resharper to improve my response time. Wondering if there will be a fix for this coming soon? Using C# and some VB.net projects, same issue.

8. Pavel Kabir says:

I am experiencing a large number of nullrefs during solution loading, which didn’t happen in earlier Rider versions.

“Unexpected error during project loading: Object reference not set to an instance of an object”.

Nothing helps: reinstalling 2017.3, deleting config folder to reset settings, enabling or disabling any plugins.

I can still build the project with MSBuild (but not ReSharper Build), but syntax highlighting is not working.

Our solution is large (170 projects) and uses Xamarin.
    For the time being, I revert to 2017.1.2.

Beware of this potential problem.

9. Julien says:

HI,
    I don’t know if this is the place to ask… but:
    Does the debugger somehow predict the result of a linq expression before it’s actually executed in real life ?

10. Bughunter says:

Hello,
    will there be a snap for Ubuntu like for the other IDEs?