IntelliJ IDEA 14 is Released!

Awesome things happen, sooner or later. This time, sooner. A month earlier than last year, we’re excited to announce IntelliJ IDEA 14, the major new release of your favorite Java IDE.

I get a thrill every time I reveal what we’ve been working on for the better part of the year. That’s because every major release of IntelliJ IDEA raises the bar, and every new version is more of a challenge than the one before. Every release is an opportunity to prove that the sky is our only limit.

It is my pleasure today to introduce the new features and enhancements we’ve created for you in IntelliJ IDEA 14.

To facilitate your workflow, we’ve added a decompiler for Java classes. You don’t need any third-party plugins to have a look at what’s inside any library for which you don’t have the source code.

The debugger, a core tool of every developer, has also been improved in a number of ways. Now it shows variable values in the editor right next to their usages. It also offers a new Show Referring Objects action, and supports lambda expressions in the Evaluate expression dialog.

The editor, where you spend most of your time, remains the heart and soul of IntelliJ IDEA. As always, we focused on making it even better for v14. Meet the smart Backspace key behavior, code style detection, Scratch files, improved Multiple selections (which now come with handy shortcuts), a ‘Copy as HTML/RTF’ action, a faster ‘Find in path’ action, and lots of other tiny but very helpful enhancements.

Code inspections have been extended to provide a new key code analysis feature aimed to infer @NotNull, @Nullable and @Contract annotations for your Java libraries automatically, based on their bytecode.

Other notable enhancements include:

• Maven integration gets better support for profiles and MANIFEST.MF generation.
  • Gradle integration, among other general enhancements, offers the standard Test runner for running test tasks, and lets you specify the Gradle task ‘Before the launch’ in run configuration.
  • Log viewer and Push dialog have been improved for Git and Mercurial. The existing Mercurial integration now offer synchronous branch control and supports subrepositories.
  • JavaFX Scene Builder is now built into the editor. You no longer need to switch away from IntelliJ IDEA when editing your layouts.
  • The built-in set of database tools has been improved in many ways, including Integrated Windows Authentication support for SQL Server, ‘Navigate to Table/Procedure’ action, a better Table view, and much more.

Coding assistance for supported frameworks has been updated according to their latest versions, and so have application server integrations. Apart from improving support for existing frameworks, IntelliJ IDEA 14 now provides coding assistance for Thymeleaf.

Support for the Play 2.x framework has moved to the Scala plugin, so you don’t need to install the plugins separately anymore. The updated Scala plugin comes with the Change Signature refactoring, support for anonymous functions in the Evaluate expression dialog, reworked SBT integration, faster performance, and brand new project configuration model.

Support for trending JavaScript frameworks such as React, spy-js, Node.js and Grunt, announced earlier in WebStorm 9, is now available in IntelliJ IDEA 14. In addition to these improvements, the IDE offers two brand-new plugins: for Meteor, and for PhoneGap, Cordova and Ionic frameworks. Following Java, JavaScript also gets the postfix code completion feature.

And last but not least, IntelliJ IDEA 14 adds a number of new features from Android Studio, including support for Android Wear and TV, along with many other enhancements.

For more details on the new features and improvements, please read the What’s new page, where you can also download the edition of your choice.

To take a deep dive into the newest IntelliJ IDEA 14 features, join our November 18th live webinar by Breandan Considine. Registration is now open!

Develop with Pleasure!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in Releases and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14 is Released!

1. Stephan says:

2. Paweł Gajda says:

Missing only Android Project view (already in Android Studio), will it be available soon?

3. Jurriaan Mous says:

Congrats for the release! Like the features!
    Unfortunately my projects won’t work within 14 because of a gradle classifier dependency resolvement bug so I have to stay with 13 for the moment…

Would love to work with it soon! :)

4. Oleg says:

JetBrains Thank you! I got your small present)

5. Claudiu says:

Only minutes after I left the message below (it the RC3 related post), you announced the final release. :)
    So here it is:

The “Navigation Bar” is broken when floating. Open it, drill down in the selected package, then navigate left to the previous package, while the list of files is visible.

Also you can open “Recently edited files” from “Recent files”, but not viceversa, or by cycling.

6. Nice, nice – one note:
    Actually i’m on EA version that is build 139.223 – why updater asks me to download a dmg package for build 139.224 (that I suppose just a build number change) instead of download a patch as usually ?

7. Vladimir says:

There was Idea 14 EAP with bundled Java 8 for OS X. Where can I download similar version for 14 release? Or how do I launch Idea with installed JRE 8? I don’t want to pollute my system with old unsupported Java 6.

8. Vladimir says:

Also you didn’t update “Installation instructions” popup on download page. “Download the idea-13.dmg OS X Disk Image file.” should be 14 here.

9. Viraf Karai says:

Once again JetBrains proves that they really understand the business of IDEs. I have yet to try this out (will do so very soon) but judging by past experience, almost every single IDEA release has been as smooth as fine French cognac. Congratulations. I will always buy the Ultimate Edition in order to support JetBrains.

10. robert hesele says:

hi, dumb question ItelliJ-IDEA also aviable for ubuntu 14.04LTS 32Bit? cheers

11. Jason says:

Does JetBrains plan to release a version for OS X that is bundled with Java 8 runtime? I’d like to get rid of the old JavaSE6 for Mac…

12. This is great news!
    In fact I am already using the new version since I am still eligible for free upgrades.
    Thank you guys at JetBrains.
    The new version looks really fast and I like all the new features like the smart delete functionality.
    Keep up the good work!

13. Ranie Jade Ramiso says:

“JavaFX Scene Builder is now built into the editor. You no longer need to switch away from IntelliJ IDEA when editing your layouts.” – I don’t think this one is working. I can’t find a way to open the built-in scene builder.

14. joseph says:

Thank you JetBrains for another wonderful release

15. Terence Martin says:

Tries customizing the toolbar in the new release, but the commands I want to add don’t have default icons. There doesn’t seem to be any list of icons to choose from that come built into Idea, and despite what the help seems to say, no default icon is used. As such my toolbar buttons exist and are click-able, but are invisible (they appear as empty buttons when you mouse over them).

Is this how it’s supposed to work? Shouldn’t there be some icons for me to choose from or something?

16. po says:

I thought that I saw information that code coverage would be added to community edition in this version. Has something changed in this matter?

17. David H. McCoy says:

Any way to get local history migrated over from 12 to 14?

• Breandan Considine says:

Hi David, your local history is stored in ${user.home}/.IntelliJIdea12/system/LocalHistory, if the installer does not do so automatically, you may be able to copy this directory over to ${user.home}/.IntelliJIdea14/system/LocalHistory.

• David H. McCoy says:

Unfortunately, I tried that. Didn’t seem to work. It either overwrote the file or just didn’t seem to pick it up.

Not the end of the world, but was just wondering it was possible.

18. Scrayos says:

Yay, just upgraded my personal license!

19. Dwipan Das says:

The java fx scenebuilder available inside intellij idea is pathetic. If i compare it with the scene builder, it is way too inferior, laggy, unresponsive. it seems like an alien inside the ide

• Woofy31 says:

And not to mention the looks of it: it looks like it was designed in a hurry just to get it out in the open; even Windows 3.1’s UI looked better than this :(

The controls don’t render as they should in the integrated UI editor (the simplest Button control looks like a text label), the UI editor’s contextual menu is a bunch of see-through stacked labels with no appearance whatsoever, etc.

How come such a really awesome looking IDE has such a bad looking UI editor? :(

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Apologies for late response. You’re 100% right about the alienness of the Scene Builder in IntelliJ IDEA. The rendering problems you’re referring to are caused by the poor interoperability between JavaFX and Swing (especially on OS X), and I’m afraid there is nothing we can do to fix that at the moment, except maybe dropping the feature at all (which seems to me not the worst option).

20. Peter says:

I’m in the same boat as everyone here, I love IntelliJ and have developed with it for years, but this is the first release that is less than optimal . . . we are now faced with either uninstalling Java 8 and installing Java 6, or running the IntelliJ 14 version bundled with Java 8 which is also less than optimal and is not the community edition.

Some of the problems with Oracle’s implementation of the JVM on OS X probably won’t get fixed until Java 9 is release. So what is everyone doing? Thanks for your thoughts!

• Jason says:

Scroll up– you’ll find the links in other comments to the JDK bundled version

• Peter says:

As I said in my comment, the bundled edition is not free. Currently, there is no way forward for large population of people who have moved on from Apple’s JVM (this is the future guys), and use the Community Edition (CE) of Intellij. That link is useless to us.

So once again, I’m curious to know what people are doing. As far as I can tell, some people are abandoning Intellij altogether as there is no sustainable solution coming forward and their support staff have not answered multiple inquiries on the future of Intellij on Oracle JVMs. As a long time Java developer, I’d hate to abandon Intellij too, but I need a solution now. Not next week.

• Alexis says:

Peter, if i’m not mistaken you should be able to download the Community edition with the bundled JRE8 using the following link: (based on the link given above for the Ultimate edition)

As for me (but take it with a grain of salt, I’m fairly new to both IntelliJ /and/ OS X), my newly installed IntelliJ IDEA 14 runs on Apple JRE6 and my project is using Oracle JDK7; and as far as I can tell, this seems to work OK.

• Maxim Mossienko says:

there is no need to uninstall Java 8, only Java 6 installation is needed to run IntelliJ Idea

21. Bill L says:

I’ve upgraded to IntelliJ 14 from 12 and I don’t see the option to NOT create “src” folders when creating new Java modules. This is really annoying. IntelliJ 12 had a “more options” setting for that purpose.

Has the option moved? Please don’t tell me there’s no choice in the matter.

• Maxim Mossienko says:

Per our observation this option was rarely used and it was removed from create new Java module wizard. Please describe your use case in YouTrack.

22. Ngu says:

Awesome. I have been waiting for this and CLion. When is CLion released?

23. Tiep Phan says:

Hi JetBrains team, i got a problem when run this code
    import java.text.Collator;
    import java.util.Locale;

public class Program {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    Collator collator = Collator.getInstance(new Locale(“vi”, “VN”));
    int cmp =“Hên”, “Hen”);
    cmp =“Hên”, “An”);

all eclipse or command line or netbeans return 1 1, but IDEA v14 return -1 1

24. Chris says:

We recently acquired some company licenses for IntelliJ 13. (Around 2 months old). Do we have to pay for the upgrade to IntelliJ 14.

25. Philipp Middendorf says:

I saw that @Contract has a new property “pure”, which sounds really interesting. Can you provide an example showing its effect?

26. Alexis says:

Thanks for the release! : )

Quick question: on the download page for OS X, the system requirements pop-up shows “Mac OS X 10.5 or higher, up to 10.9 (Mavericks)”. Is Yosemite not officially supported yet, or is it just an oversight / leftover from IDEA 13, like the filename in the installation instruction pop-up that Vladimir reported in a previous comment?

27. Jim says:

How do you run scratch files? I created a Java scratch file with a main method and when I try to run it I get an error saying Module not specified.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

This is not implemented yet but in our plans.

• Anton says:

To me this was the most anticipated feature. What’s the point of having a separate tab just to edit the code but not being able to run it? It’s a great idea, but still in kind of beta phase. Not criticizing or anything, just want to emphasize how essential it is.

28. Anton says:

Unfortunately, after using new Idea 14 for some time, it started to freeze on startup, and I can’t do anything about it. Reverting back to Idea 13.

29. Mike says:

Nice release, but where is the touted “copy as HTML/RTF” feature actually found in the tool? Call me crazy, but I expected to see it under Edit|Copy as HTML, or something simple like that. All I can find on the web is that the feature is “there”, but nothing about how to find or enable it (if enabling is necessary).

30. Bruce says:

error: “Plugin Axis2 IDEA tools is incompatible with current installation”,, version:intellijIDEA 14.0.2, processing: 1,downloaded the zip file,and select File>Settings>Plugins, click the “Install plugin from disc” button, find the downloaded zip. 2, create a new directory as axis2 into plugins directory which is located in the directory where IDEA is installed , and extract the zip file in the new directory, and restart Idea. All 2 methos failed.

31. joao says:

I’m used to Netbeans and Eclipse. And a thousand more loose code editors. But IntelliJ is by far the best. **Code grows faster and better**. Thank you.

32. Randy says:

I used Scene Builder to build a grid pane. I put some labels in the top row of the grid, but there are always random rendering errors on some of the letters (different letters each run). This occurs both inside IntelliJ and when running a jar file built from my project. Any idea what might cause such errors? Also, I noticed that the grid does not behave the same in the Scene Builder preview window, as it does when running the app (dragging the right border of the screen extends the grid in preview, but not in the compiled app); but that is not nearly as critical as the rendering errors.

33. I get the following error when I try to install axis